SCGA Annual Am Net Open qualifier
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: SCGA Annual Am Net Open qualifier

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1
FirstFlightFX-101
SCGA Annual Am Net Open qualifier
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated! GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday February 22, 2021 11:02 AM
All GK,
Golf is good for me for the last couple years. I've also enjoyed playing in the last two GK cups. So, now that I belong to an SCGA club(GK Golf Club), its interesting to think about playing in an SCGA Amatuer Net Open qualifier, mostly for the experiences, and certainly not for any glory. I'm on the fence.
Looking for any pro's and con's from any that have played in a qualifier(or not), and care to respond?

*also, I have a >bogey index, I'm thinking of the Tukwet(Champions) qualifier, I haven't found if I or they choose the tees to qualify from...and, I have thick skin ;-)

QUALIFYING ROUNDS (18 Holes):
Monday, March 29: Los Serranos GC (North), Chino Hills
Tuesday, March 30: Morongo GC at Tukwet Canyon (Champions), Beaumont
 Message #97912
Nickesquire
RE: SCGA Annual Am Net Open qualifier
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Monday February 22, 2021 1:03 PM
I have only played in one "real" tournament in decades. The GK Cup is usually relaxed on being a stickler for the rules compared to many tournaments. You could easily encounter people in the type event you mentioned who think they are playing in the L.A. Open.

They will definitely inform you of the set of tees to be played beforehand. I would expect white tees in events allowing higher index players, but am sure that would be covered in the signup instructions.

Here would be my advice on some things that will probably come up in competition that most would not think twice about in a casual round.

1-Practice short putts, because you will be required to putt out on every hole.

2-Read up on your penalty and drop options. OB, cart path, different hazard areas etc. Depending on who matched up with, you may be required to strictly adhere to 1 or 2 club lengths like it was a PGA Tour event. Marking with tees etc. And choosing a wrong option can lead to a DQ even if done innocently and no real advantage was gained.

3-Be aware of what information you can/cannot ask for or share with opponents in a tournament.

You are a laid back, nice guy who has (IMO) the correct attitude about golf and competition. But there are at least a few out there that are radically different. I almost hate to even say this, but just hope you do not get put in a group with "that guy". We had one in the GK Cup awhile back and I witnessed one trying and call penalties on multiple opponents same round a decade plus ago in the Ventura City Championship. Guys who thought there were 2 ways to beat the competition. 1-Play well and score lower than them on the golf course or 2-Go out of their way to look for penalties (real or imagined) to add to opponents scores or mess with their opponents heads during the round.

I would encourage you to play, but go into the experience with your eyes wide open and prepare ahead of time.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Monday February 22, 2021 1:44 PM]]
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97914 - This was a reply to message #97912
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Monday February 22, 2021 1:22 PM
Agree with Nick.

I started getting into these SCGA-type events a few years ago to see how my game held up. For me it was a whole new level of pressure - that I put on myself. Some results were encouraging and gratifying, but I also found myself stressing - again, almost all from my own brain!

Yes, you will occasionally run into a rules Nazi, although almost of the people I've played with have been great, in the same boat as you are. They enjoy golf and want to see what competition is like.

From what I remember about your handicap, Chuck, it's likely you'll play in groups using tees in the 6.000 yard range. Just remember to putt everything out, sign your scorecard, and relax and have a good time.

(And if you putt like you did at Oak Quarry back in November, you'll be fine!!! LOL)
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #97915 - This was a reply to message #97914
FirstFlightFX-101
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated! GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

Monday February 22, 2021 2:12 PM
Nick and Dave, muchos gracias for the replies and good points.
The prep and intensity of a one-and-only qualifier, certainly has my interest. I feel the need to see how I do with something like this again(still licking my own wounds from the recent semi's loss).

SCGA does have the One Day series, sort of similar to our GK Cup pool play. I'm likely going to sign up for at least 1 or 2 of those this year, to see and experience that. Likely, the Olivas and/or La Quinta(dunes) events. I see at least one GK Golf Club member entered and competing this year...go flinares!!
 Message #97916 - This was a reply to message #97915
RDDenn

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Monday February 22, 2021 2:49 PM
QUOTED  Yes, you will occasionally run into a rules Nazi, although almost of the people I've played with have been great, in the same boat as you are. They enjoy golf and want to see what competition is like.

I agree with Dave. Competition is fun. You are likely to have a great experience no matter how you play. My experience is open communication makes everyone happy. If you are taking a drop, call the closest competitor over to make sure you are on the same wave length about the procedure. It keeps everybody in the group relaxed about the rules.

Oh, and check to make sure the scorecard is correct before signing. I was DQ'ed from the World Handicap Amateur in Myrtle Beach after not filling in a couple of holes on my card. Doh! We each went over everybody's scores before we left the course. Plenty of excuses but no excuse considering each player worked to make sure the cards were correct.
 Message #97917 - This was a reply to message #97912
FirstFlightFX-101

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

Tuesday February 23, 2021 11:20 PM
I signed up for the Tukwet event. Thanks Bob, Dave and Nick for the feedback.

Whites Par72 69.4/124 5948yds
Blues Par72 71.3/130 6348yds

I see a handful of other hcap's near me also signed up, so, FirstFlight will likely join them in the last flight. I need to order my GK towel and sport it there.
Cheers,
 Message #97953 - This was a reply to message #97917
FirstFlightFX-101

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

Tuesday March 30, 2021 8:34 PM
Well, I had a good time. The conditions were tough, winds and the rough. I shot a 108(it happens). They were allowing me 24 strokes for my handicap, and I ended up shooting +12 over that. The official who entered my scores, told me I did pretty good and only missed being an alternate for our flight by a couple strokes. He also said that the conditions were tough on everyone. I ended up ranked 9th out of 27 guys in my flight. I ranked 61st out of all 98 players that showed today. Out of 98 guys, only two had a handicap higher than mine. I suppose I didn't implode as bad as I thought.

I was paired with great guys, and I learned a lot. My cart partner, Darin P., got an eagle today on hole 4, that was fun to experience with him...and with an official looking on too! Turns out Darin placed first in his flight by scoring 2 under his h'cap and will be moving on to the 2 day event at La Costa. Go get'em Darin!

I chit-chatted with the starter about GK GC and Greenskeeper.org , on hole 10(my flight's starting hole), and again on hole 18(she was serving as a pace official on 18). She liked that I was clapping for the players in the earlier groups, as thier names and club were each announced at tee off. Because of this, she let me go first in our group, and later came out to ask me by name, how I was doing when she spotted me on 18. Her interaction with me wasn't a distraction, as she watched my approach shot find the green for a GIR and then two put for a par! Another player in our group asked me later if I knew all the officials, I said no, they are all just freindly. He also asked me if my cart partner and I already knew each other, I said no, I just met him today as well...he is just freindly too. Maybe he was concerned how my cart partner and I, were doing quite a bit of open discussion shot planning using the cart gps, our range finders, flipping blades of grass in the wind and both using my hole location printout. ;-) I suppose if we had been talking about actual club #s, we could be breaking the rules...

I am humbled, and, would do this again...

[[Edited by FirstFlightFX-101 on Tuesday March 30, 2021 8:37 PM]]
 Message #98396 - This was a reply to message #97953
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday March 31, 2021 3:35 PM
Good for you, FirstFlightFX-101.
Sounds like a good time was had by you and the people you encountered- good vibes!
You'll be seasoned well by the next one you enter... way to go!
JVGA
 Message #98406 - This was a reply to message #98396
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Thursday April 1, 2021 9:23 AM
QUOTED  Good for you, FirstFlightFX-101.
Sounds like a good time was had by you and the people you encountered- good vibes!
You'll be seasoned well by the next one you enter... way to go!

I concur. In order to get "comfortable" you have to have played in a few. If you don't play a by the rules round once in awhile how can you measure yourself?

Considering the conditions I would expect that you would score better than the curve based on my experience playing you in match play. But count 'em all play 'em down stroke play is an different animal. Difficult to go lower than your index average typically. Certainly takes longer POP and you and your opponents won't make every "gimme" putt as in the casual game. BTW I say we putt them all out in our upcoming ugly putter round!

As far as what you can discuss with your opponents it's usually the facts and not your opinion. For example the wind is blowing left to right, or it's 158 to the flag is ok. But saying I think it's a club wind and aim twenty yards left of pin not so much. Once I had experience of two stranger opponents like you two getting called on it. I thought it was BS by the one official I have ever seen do that in over ten years of NCGA play. That's another topic.

By far you'll meet people like the GK'ers with the common passion. Glad you had a positive experience.
 Message #98410 - This was a reply to message #98406
FirstFlightFX-101

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

Thursday April 1, 2021 11:40 AM
Noel and Peter, thanks.

Oh boy...you are right, and amen to the statement "stroke play is a different animal"!

I didn't mention POP on my review of the course because it was a qualifier...but, we finished in about 4:40 and were at risk of exceeding the 5 hour limit. This is why we had a pace marshall shadow us for the last 5 holes. He never had to say anything(except remind us every other hole to digitally enter our scores), we knew we were flirting with a pace beyond our allotted pace. We were eating into our contingency time.

I will better mind my words and actions next time, to not put any doubt or stress on the other opponents...I can see where it may have sounded close to 'caddie' advice to each other.

'Bozone' is ready for an ugly putter battle!

Cheers,
 Message #98411 - This was a reply to message #98410

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]