Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday May 16, 2017 5:23 AM
GK Cup 10 is now full.

Official Bracket

Please message GK username: nickesquire with any questions or e-mail golf@greenskeeper.org.

Good Luck Everyone!

Please post all GK Cup 10 Match results here!

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Wednesday July 19, 2017 2:39 PM]]
GK is now on FACEBOOK! CLICK HERE and become a fan!
 Message #83710
mpisarski01
RE: GK Cup 10 Match Results and Bracket
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    CHUCK NORRIS
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Tuesday May 16, 2017 5:49 AM
I get to golf my brother again. Oh Joy!
 Message #83712 - This was a reply to message #83710
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Tuesday May 16, 2017 8:31 AM
 Message #83714 - This was a reply to message #83712
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Olivas Nicklaus T Maderas

Sunday May 21, 2017 8:51 PM
Kassper7 and Nickesquire played Sunday, 5/21 @ Chester Washington. Perry was getting 4 strokes and we both played the Blue tees.

After putting on the practice green and seeing the 1st 2 greens on the course, it was apparent to me that anything outside of about 9" was NOT a gimme and was definitely miss able on these greens. All 18 greens were bumpy and with the humpback effect on the greens, all pins were on a slope, several severe. And these greens were not a little bumpy, they were a LOT bumpy. Late in the match, this played a significant role.

Hole 1: Perry drove it behind a tree and could only advance it part way to the green. Nick yanked his drive well left and was about to declare it lost when we realized the the yellow ball barely in the fairway was my Srixon 1... it had bounced off a tree about 30 yards back toward the fairway. Quickly turned good fortune into bad by thinning a 7 iron then pitching over the green. Perry recovered nicely and made 5 to win the hole. Kassper7 1 up

Hole 2: Both hit poor irons short right, both chipped on, neither got it up/down. Hole halved with bogeys. Kassper7 1 up

Hole 3: Both drove it in the fairway. Perry's iron into the green side bunker, then over the green and failed to get that up/down. Nick on the green and 2 putt par. AS

Hole 4: Both miss the green. Nick gets it up down for par while Perry does not. Nickesquire 1 up

Hole 5: Both miss the fairway. Perry misses the green and fails to get it up/down, Nick on the green and 2 putt par. Nickesquire 2 up

Hole 6: Both miss the fairway. Nick's approach on the green, Perry off the green and chips on. Both 3 putt after poor 1st putts ran well by the hole down the hill. Nickesquire 3 up

Hole 7: Stroke hole for Perry. Both miss the fairway, then both miss the green. After mediocre par attempts, Nick made a 5' putt for bogey, Perry missed a 3' putt for bogey. Hole halved with the stroke. Nickesquire 3 up

Hole 8: Nick in the fairway, Perry missed the fairway. Both miss the green. Nick gets it up down for par, Perry does not. Nickesquire 4 up

Hole 9: Stroke hole for Perry. Both miss the fairway and then the green. Both fail to get it up/down and make bogey. Perry wins with the stroke. Nickesquire 3 up

Hole 10: Both hit online irons barely off the green and both get it up/down for par to halve the hole. Nickesquire 3 up

Hole 11: Both miss the fairway. Perry a nice iron on the green and 2 putt par. Nick misses the green and fails to get it up/down. Nickesquire 2 up

Hole 12: 1st par 5. Both miss the fairway, lay up in position but both miss the small green. Perry takes 2 chips in the thick kikuyu, which is the difference. Nickesquire 3 up

Hole 13: This hole is over quickly as Perry hit a great fairway metal on the green and 2 putted for par on the long par 3 into the wind. Nick was only to the fringe in 3... Nickesquire 2 up

Hole 14: Both missed the fairway and then the green. However, both were within pitch shots of the green in 2 before a sad comedy show ensued. We matched multiple bad chips out of the kikuyu and then multiple bad putts on the bumpy, hump backed green and finally halved the hole with dueling snowmen? How bad were things? Nick had to make a 3' putt with break to match Perry's already in 8. Nickesquire 2 up

Playing with no strokes on holes 10-14, Perry had gained a hole so far on the back and was going to get strokes on 2 of the next 3 holes. So the potential was there for the match to get close/interesting real soon.

Hole 15: Stroke hole for Perry. Both hit good drives. Perry pulled his 2nd shot well left and over the green. Nick pushed his right and after hitting the cart path was behind the protective screen. After taking relief from the protective screen, Nick still had only a punch shot under a tree which got to the fringe. Used the putter twice from there to make bogey. Perry had chipped nicely onto the green and had a par putt to win the hole come up about 2' short going downhill. Then he missed the 2' bogey putt to win the hole with his stroke. On normal smooth greens, I would have conceded the 2' putt for him to win the hole, but not on these bumpy things. Hole halved with the stroke. Nickesquire 2 up

Hole 16: Both hit good drives. Perry hit a nice iron that landed on a mound beside the green and bounced like it had hit a cart path over the green. Nick hit a nice iron within 20'. Perry could not get it up/down from over the green. Nick lagged his birdie attempt into tap in par range. Nickesquire 3 & 2.

It was nice meeting and playing with Perry. We played fairly even from tee to green. Neither had a great ball striking day but neither had any penalty strokes either, we were both in play every hole. The difference in the match was that Perry did not make any putts on these bumpy greens and had more problems with the kikuyu green side on chips. We did get to witness some good golf as we were joined by nodoubles22 who high lighted a 4 birdie performance by almost acing #2... Tim's ball on #2 landed just right of the hole and ended up barely behind the hole less than 1' away.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Wednesday May 24, 2017 10:01 AM]]
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #83773 - This was a reply to message #83714
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Tend to root for Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mt. Shasta Resort

Monday May 22, 2017 7:17 AM
mendel and I are tentatively planning our match for the weekend of June 3/4. Memorial Day weekend is too difficult, so it looks like that next weekend will be good for both of us.
 Message #83778 - This was a reply to message #83773
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    CHUCK NORRIS
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Monday May 22, 2017 7:43 AM
Alex and I will be playing at Wolf Creek on the 2nd
 Message #83781 - This was a reply to message #83710
kassper7
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Michelle Wie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry

Monday May 22, 2017 10:17 AM
I want to thank Nick for joining me and his easy going attitude. I'd also like to thank the Paramedics who came out to the course to check on me after they received calls that someone was out on the course severely choking.
 Message #83784 - This was a reply to message #83781
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Monday May 22, 2017 12:30 PM
Hey, man - no joking about paramedics, OK?!!

Sometimes they ARE needed!! LOL

http://www.greenskeeper.org/forums/discussions.cfm?forumid=57&topicid=6 0955&kw=electrical

[[Edited by dconnally on Monday May 22, 2017 12:55 PM]]
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #83785 - This was a reply to message #83784
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn

Monday May 22, 2017 9:59 PM
Hey Nick - nice recap but I think it belongs in the GK Cup 9 thread!
 Message #83791 - This was a reply to message #83785
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Olivas Nicklaus T Maderas

Tuesday May 23, 2017 9:13 AM
QUOTED  Hey Nick - nice recap but I think it belongs in the GK Cup 9 thread!

Robert, you are correct. Could have been a GK Cup 9 3rd round match had I taken care of business late with Kevin there in round 2.

In discussing things with John, there are 2 main goals for GK Cup matches.

1) It is always nice to get out and tee it up with new GKers. So hopefully we can rotate around the participants and provide some new opening round match-ups for every GK Cup.

2) Within the spirit of promoting GKers to join up and play together, have a format that is fairly simple yet fair to all participants. Competitive without being super competitive. As an organizer, I purposely leave much up to the discretion of the actual participants. It is THEIR match.

Will all the above in mind, I try to accomplish numerous things in creating a 32 player bracket.

First goal is to create a 4 player POD that will keep players playing as local as feasible within their POD for 2 matches. Keeping things closer to home for 1-2 matches usually makes it easier to get those matches played. However, you are at the mercy of who decides to sign up. Therefore, there may be 3 people grouped relatively close together and a 4th mixed in that would not be geographically desirable in a perfect world. I try to rotate that around too, who is likely to travel more for their opening matches unless someone specifically volunteers.

Within the 4 person POD concept, I try to rotate people around so they are not always playing the same people. However, should players advance a couple of rounds, they are probably going to be seeing familiar names that they have possibly played once or even several times before in a GK Cup if they have participated in many.

I have also found that it's not a good idea to match up 2 brand new people together. Therefore, I try and match up a player new to GK Cups with a GK Cup veteran.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #83796 - This was a reply to message #83791

Listing 1 to 10 of 94 Replies

PAGES: 10 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]