The GK Cup moving forward
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday December 4, 2019 12:17 PM
John and I have discussed the concept of a no bracket GK Cup.

The concept we discussed is have people sign up as "eligible opponents". You could play any opponent on the list of those eligible. Everyone could schedule a maximum of 8 matches v. whoever they chose. Sorry, no playing the same opponent every match, would have to be spread around. You could play as many matches as YOU choose to play up to 8 matches maximum.

GK Cup forum write up of the match particulars required for the match to count.

Score it Ryder Cup style. You win a match, you get 1 point. Limit matches to exactly 18 holes, and any match AS after 18 and both players get 1/2 point. Loser get 0 points.

After a predetermined set amount of time that would not be changed (say 3 months from the start), that part of the tournament ends. The 4 players with the highest point total advance to the semi finals, with the winners squaring off in the finals.

Thoughts?
The goal is long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, could I at least hit them straighter?
 Message #92839
dconnally
RE: The GK Cup moving forward

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Wednesday December 4, 2019 12:30 PM
These items better addressed after we get Cup 14 completed?
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #92840 - This was a reply to message #92839
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Wednesday December 4, 2019 1:29 PM
QUOTED  These items better addressed after we get Cup 14 completed?

What part of "The GK Cup moving forward" is unclear? This discussion has ZERO to do with GK Cup 14 and is meant to discuss GK Cup 15 and later Dave.

And those commenting should be actual GK Cup participants. Those who keep their bag on the sidelines should keep their opinions there as well.
The goal is long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, could I at least hit them straighter?
 Message #92846 - This was a reply to message #92840
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Wednesday December 4, 2019 1:34 PM
What I like best about this is it has a set time frame and allows for many rounds with fellow GKers.

I have a vision for a GK Cup Finals Day that would feature the two highest point total players playing for the title and a second foursome that is the 3-6 top point totals playing for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. Come up with some consolation prizes for those that place. If there are 3 - 6 point total players not available the day of the finals then we just go down the list to the next highest point total players that are. The finals scheduling would be completely predicated on when point total players 1 and 2 are available. That would make for a very fun day.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #92847 - This was a reply to message #92839
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Grizzly Ranch

Wednesday December 4, 2019 2:49 PM
I feel this to be unfair to those who can not golf as much as others. Some players may be able to play in all 8 quickly but I feel with the current GK cup maxing out at 5 rounds over a usual of 3-5 months this could be problematic to those who only play in the cup and no more. Some people may not be able to golf 8 times in three months. ( I know I can but I'm not married with kids)

Also there is the thought of one player could theoretically play a bunch of their friends and say they won them all for the max points. I'm not saying anyone in GK would do that but it makes it much easier to do.

I think because gk 14 has left us with a bad taste in our mouth we are quick to change everything that has gone right over the past 13 cups. In the words of the Beatles LET IT BE
 Message #92848 - This was a reply to message #92847
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Wednesday December 4, 2019 3:31 PM
QUOTED  I think because gk 14 has left us with a bad taste in our mouth we are quick to change everything that has gone right over the past 13 cups.

Short term memory Matt. People not playing on time has been a challenge in EVERY GK Cup, 1-14 inclusive. As has people dropping out and people forfeiting. And these all create their own special set of problems. We don't want people playing 1-2 matches and advancing to the GK Cup finals because many in their group could not meet what are actually fairly generous timeframes.

I am not talking about serious life events Matt, those happen and we try and deal with them fairly. I am talking about guys who no show their opponent because they drank too much the night before and did not feel like showing up for a early tee time at a time/place that was set up to accomodate them to start with. I am talking about people who have dropped out or forfeited 2-3 times in past GK Cups. That is a pattern of being a jerk to their fellow participants, not an unforseen challenge that came out of no where.

Catering to people who say they can only play two days a month and who are unwilling to play any other time is EXACTLY the mindset that creates these challenges. If the other guy can't make it either of their two designated half days of availability, then a month is blown and we start the next month of excuses on why they could again not get a preset opponent match in. And 2 months will turn into 4 or 6 if you let them be generous with everyones else's time.

This is about trying to find a solution to the selfish and inconsiderate few who sign up that adversely screw the whole tournament up for those who actually want to play. And like I said, the above references apply to MANY People not playing on time in every prior GK Cup.

QUOTED  I feel this to be unfair to those who can not golf as much as others. Some players may be able to play in all 8 quickly but I feel with the current GK cup maxing out at 5 rounds over a usual of 3-5 months this could be problematic to those who only play in the cup and no more. Some people may not be able to golf 8 times in three months.

That is what this is for Matt, to exchange ideas and come up with guidelines. We already discussed not playing any opponent more than once.

No one said anyone HAD to play 8 matches Matt. This is meant to be voluntary so that people choosing NOT to play will no longer have ANY say so on derailing the entire Cup. Maybe people willing to play SHOULD be rewarded? Becuse in my mind, they have basically been penalized by some unwilling to play in a timely manner in every GK Cup.

Under what John is proposing, it would be ONLY those that play that would determine who wins the Cup and when the Cup matches are completed. Those that choose not to participate on time would no longer be able to determine who advances (by their not playing) or how long the Cup lasts (again by their not playing). Play if you want, up to 8 matches... but if you choose NOT to play, it only hurts you, not the entire field. As much as i like a preset bracket, I like this concept for that reason.
 Message #92849 - This was a reply to message #92848
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Wednesday December 4, 2019 4:24 PM
Using the current pre set bracket format, the following has been a consistent theme for 14 straight GK Cups:

Regardless of how well they play golf, the GK Cup is proportionally made up of what I classify as A, B and C type player personalities.

A type players want to play ASAP and will do what it takes to get their match played, usually early. I could pick out 4 regular names and schedule them together and they could have the survivor into round 3 by Sunday night.

B type players are generally dependable and will usually schedule and play by the deadlines. They make an effort but are not as gung ho and depending who they are matched with, will be more of a B+ to a B- type. Dependable but more comfortable if someone else takes the lead.

C type players are much less proactive and are going to be challenging to get to play on time. They sign up with the best of intentions but the reality is that playing a GK Cup match is low on their list of priorities and they usually struggle to play in a timely manner. Schedule a bunch of these guys together and the entire year of 2020 may not be a realistic time frame on getting several matches played. Some of the people who have signed up and then dropped out or forfeited at least twice I am being charitable even calling them C type personalities. We have had some previously who are basically undependable flakes who have no business participating in future GK Cups.

Avoiding rematches from previous 1st rounds and setting up geographically desirable early round matches are a high priority when I draw up a bracket. But scheduling to actually get matches PLAYED is also a high priority.

I try and NEVER match up what I would classify as two C type personalities in round 1. Just asking for trouble, better than 50/50 chance the match will never be played has been my experience.

I would prefer to not match up a B/C type in round 1. History has shown that the match will probably be played late.

The problem is usually later if too many C type personalities advance. Because if most or all of the A type personalities are eliminated, then historically the GK Cups timeframes have lagged. Not meant to criticize or call anyone out, this just is what it is IMO.
 Message #92853 - This was a reply to message #92849
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Wednesday December 4, 2019 5:08 PM
QUOTED  What part of "The GK Cup moving forward" is unclear? This discussion has ZERO to do with GK Cup 14 and is meant to discuss GK Cup 15 and later Dave.

And those commenting should be actual GK Cup participants. Those who keep their bag on the sidelines should keep their opinions there as well.

I'm unclear about this. This was posted in an open forum for GK members. It SEEMs to be soliciting discussion about the future of the GK Cup. Are you saying it's actually a restricted, invitation only discussion and the rest of us can go suck lemons?

Not very GKish if you are saying that!

Quite a few GKers have tried the Cup and found it not to their liking for one reason or another. Are they now not allowed to express their opinion in the hopes of creating something they would like to try again?
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #92854 - This was a reply to message #92846
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Wednesday December 4, 2019 5:26 PM
QUOTED  Are you saying it's actually a restricted, invitation only discussion and the rest of us can go suck lemons?

For the trolls who have historically chose to comment but never play, that is exactly what I am saying.
 Message #92855 - This was a reply to message #92853
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Wednesday December 4, 2019 5:30 PM
I feel all good ideas should be welcome.
 Message #92856 - This was a reply to message #92854

Listing 1 to 10 of 40 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4

[ Community Page ]