Launch Monitors
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday March 16, 2015 9:44 AM
When testing out clubs for fitting, or practicing a shots, or maybe just having a fun day at the range, do you use a launch monitor? ...do you wish you had a launch monitor?

Have you tried one out doors?
JVGA
 Message #69897
1PLUS1
RE: Launch Monitors

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday March 16, 2015 10:42 AM
I believe the use of a launch monitor is an absolute necessity when being fit for clubs or making comparisons between various club/shaft combinations. It's a valuable fitting tool that provides hard data regarding launch angle, spin rate, angle of attack, smash factor, ball speed, dispersion, etc...factors which must be taken into consideration if you are looking to get matched with a setup tailored to your swing tendencies and characteristics.

You may get similar numbers at an indoor facility but I would strongly suggest visiting an outdoor range in order to take visual note of ball trajectory. Numbers only provide part of the equation; having a qualified clubfitter on hand who can make additional observations/recommendations based on what he sees as the ball flies off the clubhead should also be integrated into the fitting process. This aspect factored heavily into the choice of shaft...and it's length...when I was fit for my 3-wood a few years ago.

And as far as wishing whether I had one for personal use? I would definitely integrate it into my practice routine to provide further feedback and serve as a baseline for developing a more repeatable swing.
 Message #69900 - This was a reply to message #69897
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Monday March 16, 2015 10:51 AM
Received this today from MyGolfSpy:

http://www.mygolfspy.com/buyers-guide-personal-launch-monitors/
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #69904 - This was a reply to message #69900
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday April 16, 2019 5:19 PM
Oh wow, I totally forgot about this.
Thanks guys. Both responses were helpful. Thank you.

But now I really need one for a project. I priced these things and they're not cheap.

Anyone know if they can be rented anywhere?
JVGA
 Message #91092 - This was a reply to message #69904
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Tuesday April 16, 2019 5:29 PM
If you just need access to one, join the Players Club at a PGA Tour Superstore. $99 for a year, and you get 30 minutes daily on their practice bays with launch monitors.
 Message #91093 - This was a reply to message #69897
tcmae

Favorite Golfer:
    Anyone except for Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Los Verdes

Tuesday April 16, 2019 5:39 PM
For anyone in So Cal, they now have Top Tracer in Glen Oaks Golf & Learning Center in Glendora. You end up paying for any bucket of balls, then you pay $5/hr for a hitting bay during the week M-F before 3pm, $10/hr M-F after 3pm and Weekends all day. https://www.glenoaksglc.com/toptracer-range/
 Message #91094 - This was a reply to message #91093
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday April 17, 2019 9:04 AM
Great information guys, (sparky14 & tcmae), thank you so much!
JVGA
 Message #91098 - This was a reply to message #91093
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday May 6, 2019 10:42 AM
QUOTED  For anyone in So Cal, they now have Top Tracer in Glen Oaks Golf & Learning Center in Glendora. You end up paying for any bucket of balls, then you pay $5/hr for a hitting bay during the week M-F before 3pm, $10/hr M-F after 3pm and Weekends all day. https://www.glenoaksglc.com/toptracer-range/

I was here over the weekend, Saturday and ended up using one of the bay with a monitor for two hours.

So they have cameras that surrounds the range and a specific one that tracks where you start from the bay you're in.
There are specific targets on the range.
You're on a mat, but the range is mostly grass- the greens are synthetic greens.

The cameras reads and tracks the ball flight precisely to its flight, spin & curvature until it stops. That's the feature I was interested in. I needed what my distances were with the irons I play so I would know my distances.

The grass in combination of the synthetic greens in the middle, together with the way their grounds and the way they cut the grass has variance and I thought it gave me false distances because of it for some of the shots. In any case, the reading is true, but the ground conditions are not for some shots that lands or roll through the big synthetic greens.

I t was busy there. The staff were helpful.

$15 for the jumbo bucket on weekends.
$10 an hour for the Toptracer monitor system on weekends.
$10 for the extra hour.
$35 total for the day.

I also noticed people of many skill levels- mostly regular golfers who parties with golf. Some group looks like they're playing a game on a course with the system- looks fun. Some just wants to practice.
They have tables and lounge chairs under a roof. People play their music... others have their coaches... it's a mix.

I'd like to try the Players Club at a PGA Superstore for $99 a year, but I'm not anywhere convenient to one.
I called their corp office and were told about the 30 minutes use for $10 which I would like to try.

I know this isn't a popular thing, but I'm grateful for the info that led me to all of this which would probably be beneficial to anyone who finds the need of the technology.

Thanks again.

_n.
JVGA
 Message #91278 - This was a reply to message #91094
tcmae

Favorite Golfer:
    Anyone except for Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Los Verdes

Tuesday May 7, 2019 10:13 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it, it will be one of my favorite ranges for me to go to now despite a 20-30 min drive down the 210 from the Glendale/Pasadena area with no traffic. I still yet have to go back, but I will be back so I can use the what's in the bag game mode. I only noticed it when I had like only 30 balls left, and was just playing the launch monitor game mode the whole time. It just kind of sucks that you have to pay per hour, so in reality, it's best to just buy a medium bucket since you can finish that within the 1 hr, since it would be hard to finish a jumbo bucket within the 1 hr. I can't wait to go back there for the range, but it has to be during the week since it's only an additional $5/hr rather than $10/hr on the weekends and nights.

[[Edited by tcmae on Tuesday May 7, 2019 10:13 PM]]
 Message #91312 - This was a reply to message #91278
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday May 8, 2019 11:16 AM
Yeah, much better rates on weekdays for sure. It was an hour and a half for me to drive there. But I was able to do the school project. I had fun with it.

Thanks again.
JVGA
 Message #91328 - This was a reply to message #91312

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]