Titleist Performance Institute
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Lefty
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday April 11, 2017 11:34 AM
Yesterday I went down to the Titleist Performance Institute in Oceanside and got fit for a new driver, 3 wood, and hybrid. I'll say this flat out, this was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I've been fit before for different clubs, but usually I'll go to a local fitter like Cool Clubs. What set the TPI apart was the total "Tour" experience. The locker they gave me was next to Jimmy Walker's locker, which was just cool.

My current driver is a Taylor Made RBZ, 10.5 degrees adjusted to 11.25 degrees, I play with a 45.5" Kuro Kage, TiNi 60S shaft. I told Glen (my fitter) I have a low trajectory and I fight a hard pull hook right (I'm a lefty). After warming up, Glen had me hit 7 drives to help set a baseline. As expected I hit a few good ones and pulled a handful. I carried the ball an average of 226 with a total distance of 250 which was right what I expected. My launch angle was an absurdly low 5.7 degrees (also expected) and my average dispersion was 23 yards to the right (again expected with my draw/hook tendencies).

Glen took the numbers, looked at my swing speed (109) and immediately said I needed a stiffer, heavier, shorter shaft. So he gave me a 917D2 head and coupled that with a Diamana White, 80X cut to 44.5," a full 1" shorter than mine. My first swing resulted in a 270 carry (280 total) right on line, with a 9.2 degree launch despite a slightly slower swing speed and 1 mph less ball speed. I hit 5 more with that set up and averaged a 264 carry, immediately adding 40 yards of carry to my drive. Needless to say, I'm ready for the upcoming golf season.

We went through 4 other combinations and I ended up with the first set up. I actually hit the Diamana Iliama 70X a bit further, but the dispersion was worse.

Anyways, if you've never been professionally fit before and you're even halfway serious about golf (which if you're reading this, chances are you're pretty serious) you need to get fit. The results will blow your mind away. I can almost guarantee that you're probably playing the wrong set up unless you've been fit. And for those of us lucky enough to live in Southern California, I HIGHLY recommend going directly to one of the many equipment manufacturers located here. You won't be disappointed.
 Message #83299
Enyalius
RE: Titleist Performance Institute

Favorite Golfer:
    Ray Floyd - Craig Stadler
Favorite Golf Course:
    500 Club

Tuesday April 11, 2017 2:01 PM
Wow, from 226 carry to 264 carrry? That's awesome.

I read on another golf forum a high handicapper asked this scratch golfer he was paired with who was just pounding the ball out long and straight what his secret was to become such a good golfer. The stick replied, get fitted for clubs. I'm sure that comes with a YMMV.

The PING factory is here locally, if I ever get halfway serious about golf I may get fitted.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

[[Edited by Enyalius on Tuesday April 11, 2017 2:02 PM]]

[[Edited by Enyalius on Tuesday April 11, 2017 2:02 PM]]
 Message #83300 - This was a reply to message #83299
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Tuesday April 11, 2017 2:41 PM
I know that "if you have to ask, you can't afford it". But I'm asking .....

What should I budget for a similar experience, including the new club?

Thanks.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #83303 - This was a reply to message #83300
lotrgolfer48

GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jordan Spieth
Favorite Golf Course:
    Chambers Bay

Tuesday April 11, 2017 4:20 PM
/raises hand

QUOTED  I know that "if you have to ask, you can't afford it". But I'm asking .....

Thanks.
 Message #83304 - This was a reply to message #83303
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Tuesday April 11, 2017 4:23 PM
The Titleist site says $1800, I would say that doesn't include the cost of the clubs.
 Message #83305 - This was a reply to message #83303
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    Anyone who sets up left
Favorite Golf Course:
    CRYSTALAIRE

Tuesday April 11, 2017 4:31 PM
robertkpan, That's pretty cool, and thank you for sharing your experience at TPI.

I was also there last year, in September. It was during the 917 launch. I had a 915 D3 which was replaced by 917 D3 easily. That place is top notch. Glen was the same fitter who fitted me for both Driver & 3 metal. It didn't take him long to figure out what I needed. Glen aka "The Club Whisperer!" is extraordinarily good with his craft. I have sent many guys to TPI, I had 3 feedbacks from the ones who actually made it there, and it was all stars and diamonds praise.

After having done that, I don't see my self going anywhere else to be fitted.

#TeamTitleist

edit *917

[[Edited by noeldaof on Tuesday April 11, 2017 4:35 PM]]
Play from a position!
 Message #83306 - This was a reply to message #83299
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday April 11, 2017 6:00 PM
QUOTED  ...hit 7 drives to help set a baseline...I carried the ball an average of 226 which was right what I expected (given) my swing speed of 109.

That's all you needed to know to realize something was seriously amiss; very low carry distance for that swing speed number. Perfectly illustrates the importance of being fit with the proper specs...and I firmly believe it begins with determining the correct club length.

In this pseudo-quest for distance...and to compensate for lighter club heads and shafts...the OEMs started selling drivers and 3-woods that are now at least 1"-2" longer than the old standard. That may have added a couple MPH in swing speed but made it much more difficult to hit the ball with the center of the club face on a consistent basis. The only proof you need is right there in the "after" results, where your distance gain went "off the charts" despite a 1MPH drop in swing speed.

Another benefit to being properly fit is that it helps eliminate the guesswork when it comes to working on one's swing. For example, if the lie of your irons does not coincide with your swing tendencies, you could very well be making good swings yet still find yourself missing the target to the left or right. What happens next? Your swing gets fingered as the culprit and you begin tinkering with it unnecessarily. Again, OEMs are producing longer length irons with upright lies that may not fit the majority of the golfing public. With these fitting options now so readily available...and all it would take is a few strikes off a Lie Board...it would be foolish to not take advantage of those services.

But let's not forget to add that disclaimer we often see when various "miracle" products are advertised on TV...you know, the ones that tout quick weight-loss and an athletic body in a matter of a couple of weeks, or a full head of hair in a month's time. There's always that "Results May Not Be Typical" clause that's buried in the fine print. Same applies here. Not everyone will pick up 40 yards via a club fitting session...distance is ultimately restricted by swing speed...but any changes that improve the efficiency of the strike will most certainly produce positive results.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Tuesday April 11, 2017 6:02 PM]]
 Message #83308 - This was a reply to message #83299
weber2323
SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    David Duval
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Jolla Country Club

Tuesday April 11, 2017 9:32 PM
I did this several years ago and had a similar experience. It was a real treat to do it and made me realize how important shafts can make a difference. I was always under the impression what is the difference between 2 steel shafts. The results were eye opening as this was my first experience with a trackman.

1800 sounds way more than what I did but I do know you can do just driver, irons and wedges or a combo of them all. But I will say it ain't cheap.
 Message #83311 - This was a reply to message #83308
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Tuesday April 11, 2017 11:26 PM
That's great news robertkpan, congratulations. Amazing results with no lesson!

Curious what did the swingweight come out to for your driver after build and how does that compare to your previous driver?

Tom Wishon (Wishon Golf clubs) has long championed shorter drivers/other clubs for everyone. Shorter clubs allow for greater % on-center hits.

I've read that tour pros average 43.5-44" on their drivers. When Tiger announced his new set of clubs for 2017, it included a 43.5" driver, DJ hits a 43.5" driver and I think Sergio might as well. The point is, just as for you, most golfers cannot control the 45.5"+ drivers all the major club manufacturers are putting out these days. If tour pros could hit it farther and keep it straight, they'd be hitting 45.5" drivers, too - distance pays on the tour.

A golfing buddy of mine had a custom driver made (not Titleist), and his driver length is 44". Like you, he's now nailing it.

Bet you keep this driver in the bag for a long time!
 Message #83320 - This was a reply to message #83299
robertkpan

Favorite Golfer:
    Lefty
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Wednesday April 12, 2017 12:21 AM
QUOTED  I know that "if you have to ask, you can't afford it". But I'm asking .....

The fitting was $250 and that included fitting a driver, 3 wood, and hybrid. They would have fit me for more if I wanted, but I wasn't going to buy any irons, so I stopped there. They do have a package that is much more complete that includes nutrition, fitness, and creates a 3-D image of your swing and I think that's the $1800 version.

I actually haven't paid for the clubs yet. I'm guessing this is some kind of rule, but Titleist wouldn't sell me the clubs directly, I had to go through an authorized retailer. Once they get shipped to me, I'll pay the proshop I bought them through, but it'll be the going retail rate ($449 for the 917D2 Driver, $300 for the 917F2, and $250ish for the 816H2 hybrid.

It wasn't cheap, but hey, they gave me a dozen ProV1's, a hat, and a shirt!

And I totally agree with 1PLUS1's assessment. I was playing with woods that were WAY too long for me. When Glen saw my swing and ball speeds, the first thing he said was "I bet you consistently hit your 3 wood farther than your driver" (which is spot on), his point was I could hit the center of the clubface with shorter clubs. And I totally don't expect everybody to pick up 40 yards after one fitting. Remember, I went from a driver circa 2010 to a 2017 driver AND an improved shaft AND maybe I was just the perfect candidate.
 Message #83321 - This was a reply to message #83320

Listing 1 to 10 of 13 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]