Click To View Golf Course Page

Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Range at Woodley is being renovated...any grass...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Range at Woodley is being renovated...any grass to hit from?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
lamitchw
Range at Woodley is being renovated...any grass to hit from?

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pacific Dunes

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday April 26, 2017 11:40 AM
The range at Woodley Lakes will be closed for at least 2 months for renovations. They're going to keep it grass, but are redoing the nets and landing areas. Unfortunately, this is the only public grass range in the Valley, if not all of Los Angeles. The only places I know that have grass ranges are in Ventura county-Rustic Canyon and Tierra Rejada, and Simi Hills on certain days. Are there any I'm missing? I'm really bummed, because I live 5 minutes from Woodley, and my elbows loathe hitting off of mats.

Mitch
 Message #83502
mdames
RE: Range at Woodley is being renovated...any grass to hit from?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Wednesday April 26, 2017 11:55 AM
Hi Mitch. I use Angeles National. They have a grass range, and it's better than the other courses you mention. Not exactly in your backyard. But it's closer than the Ventura County courses.

[[Edited by mdames on Wednesday April 26, 2017 11:56 AM]]
 Message #83504 - This was a reply to message #83502
Enyalius

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Ray Floyd - Craig Stadler
Favorite Golf Course:
    500 Club

Wednesday April 26, 2017 11:59 AM
Why are all the ranges using mats instead of grass?

I don't think I have hit off a mat or anything other than grass at any golf course in the Phoenix Metro area.

Is this a water/environmental thing? Or is it a cheapskate golf course thing? I don't get it.
 Message #83505 - This was a reply to message #83502
criley_4way

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday April 26, 2017 12:36 PM
It really depends on where you are.

In Los Angeles some of it is being cheap but a lot of it is the cost of land and the amount of traffic that the ranges get. Many of the big ranges sell 1000 buckets a day so you can imagine the amount of grass it takes to have a decent hitting area. Several tried having grass and mat areas and upcharging for the grass but that seems to ahve disappeared so I guess not enough people are willing to pay.

Woodley is one of the few courses that has a range long and wide enough that they can use part of it as a hitting surface. Also being near Sepulveda means that it gets less traffic.

Long Beach has grass every day at Heartwell (Mon-Tues), Skylinks (Tues-Thurs) and El Dorado (Fri-Sun).
 Message #83506 - This was a reply to message #83505
lamitchw

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pacific Dunes

Wednesday April 26, 2017 12:42 PM
QUOTED  Hi Mitch. I use Angeles National. They have a grass range, and it's better than the other courses you mention. Not exactly in your backyard. But it's closer than the Ventura County courses.

I'd forgotten about Angeles National. Definitely closer. My elbows say thanks!
QUOTED  Why are all the ranges using mats instead of grass?

I don't think I have hit off a mat or anything other than grass at any golf course in the Phoenix Metro area.

Is this a water/environmental thing? Or is it a cheapskate golf course thing? I don't get it.

I'd imagine it's a little of both. The drought has a huge impact on what gets water. It is very expensive to water and maintain a grass range. Also, land is Southern California is extremely expensive, so having enough room to be able to move tees back and forth enough to make a grass range work is sometimes prohibitive. There are double and triple decker ranges in the middle of LA that hit into nets that are only say 250 yards long. Hey, it beats not being able to hit balls at all.

I'm originally from Indiana, and have lived in Ohio and south Florida. There, the only time you ever see astro turf is at the putt-putt...never at the golf course. Golf in Southern California is different in many ways than the rest of the country. The weather can't be beat, though.
 Message #83507 - This was a reply to message #83505
raw_fee

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday April 26, 2017 1:30 PM
Scholl Canyon in Glendale has moved off mats for the time being. The past 3 trips I've tee'd off the grass...Don't know of any others to be honest that do.
 Message #83508 - This was a reply to message #83502
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Wednesday April 26, 2017 1:38 PM
Mitch,

I don't ever remember hitting off a grass range at Rustic(maybe once) but I am there on Monday's only. If you are out this way Moorpark CC almost always has a grass range going. Tierra Rejada mostly all the time.
 Message #83509 - This was a reply to message #83508
tcmae

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Los Verdes

Wednesday April 26, 2017 10:00 PM
Altadena and Eaton Canyon in Pasadena have grass ranges. Most of the time, they are grass, and do not have any mats set up. I've only seen those ranges with mats a couple of times, but sometimes especially when its crowded, you are hitting off dirt instead of grass. But I would say about 90% of the time, these ranges use grass all days of the week. When I was going Santa Anita in Arcadia last year, they were also using grass, with no mats set up, but when I used to go there years ago, the Santa Anita range was always mat, but now it's been grass. Try Altadena, Eaton Canyon, and Santa Anita.

This past Saturday, I was out in the South Bay just to get away, and I was looking for a range, along with a chipping/pitching green and practice bunker. I rarely "just' go to the range, most of the time I just play the course, and I just hit some balls in the range if my green fee would come with warm up balls. So I would rather prefer and I'm used to hitting off grass since if I "just" go to the range, I go to Altadena, Eaton Canyon, or Santa Anita. I looked up The Links at Victoria, which I knew had a good short game practice area, but unfortunately when I checked their website, it said right in the front of the webpage that the range is undergoing construction, and reopening in May. So that was a bummer which I would go if their range was open, and they say that they are the only grass range in the South Bay. So I opted to go hit the range in Alondra since they had a short game area, but I was hitting off mats over Los Verdes, since Los Verdes doesn't have a short game area. When I got to the range, since I'm not used to going to ranges where you hit off mats, I didn't have my plastic tees to hit my driver LOL. Since I just only had less than $5 in cash, and wanted to buy a dessert after, I remembered when I used to go to the range, you can buy a plastic tee, and return it back, and get a deposit. Unfortunately now, the pro shop their at Alondra just sold a pack of plastic tees in three sizes which costed over $5. So I just asked some guys hitting balls if I could borrow, or buy plastic tees, and a guy just gave me a short plastic tee, so I couldn't complain. Now that the mats are thicker now, the tee was teed up too short for my driver. So I just ended up sticking a regular wood tee so it can be teed up higher for my driver. This shows how much I barely go to the range, and how much I barely hit off mats since I didn't have any plastic tees LOL.
 Message #83512 - This was a reply to message #83502
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Thursday April 27, 2017 10:36 AM
Hitting off mats saves water.
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #83514 - This was a reply to message #83512
faxgolf89

Favorite Golfer:
    rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    still looking

Thursday April 27, 2017 11:28 AM
Scholl Canyon is currently mats only on weekdays and grass on weekends. I prefer mats because it's easier to practice my driver.
 Message #83515 - This was a reply to message #83508

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]