Practice Center Rant
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday September 10, 2017 8:57 PM
I realize American Golf isn't likely to see this rant, and yes I have conveyed my feelings to the course, but I felt the need to rant. I am a long time member and advocate for the American Golf Players Club, I feel I get my money's worth from the lower course fees, booking fees, $5 Lake Forest Practice Center 9 hole rounds, and daily allotment of range balls.

However, part of belonging to the practice center is the use of the chipping and pitch facility for a slight $2 fee. Decided I needed to work on my chipping, pitching, and sand game Thursday so I went over and got a shag bag of balls. For pitching the facility is a little small, but workable. Flop shots can be done as well and there are areas mown to simulate fairways and areas of deep rough, good enough.

My complaint with the simulated greens and the bunkers. It's hard to pitch into a spot when the greens are cut more like poorly cared for fairways than greens. Hard to work on controlling roll out which is why you practice the shot. Even worse than the condition of the practice greens are the bunkers. I have never seen bunkers (plural) with more rocks in them. I play the course fairly regularly and don't find rocks in the bunkers out on course, but the practice bunkers were loaded with them. I didn't hit any, but would have been pissed if I dinged my brand new Mac Daddy II's.

If this were the free practice area at some golf courses I would be disappointed in the course, but for the Lake Forest Practice Center to have poor grade practice areas is inexcusable.

Thanks for letting me rant.
 Message #85530
cencalhack
RE: Practice Center Rant

Favorite Golfer:
    IDK
Favorite Golf Course:
    Old Course St Andrews

Monday September 18, 2017 10:31 AM
My favorite practice rant is---

EVERY PRO EVER -- "always aim at a target and know your distances"

Most ranges -- a few faded flags spread over acres of ground with inaccurate sign giving supposed yardages
 Message #85642 - This was a reply to message #85530
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Monday September 18, 2017 11:34 AM
As a golfer who enjoys spending time pitching/chipping, I feel your pain. I've been to the LFPC a few times, I know what you're talking about ... it is what it is: a low end facility. If you get a deal on the range balls then at least that's a good thing. And you'll never get any satisfaction from AmGolf ... they're only focused on the bottom line.

If you want to step up in OC and cannot afford a private club to practice your short game, try Oak Creek in Irvine. You 'rent' a tube for like $8 to chip on their very large practice green which is usually in very good condition with many hitting areas to drop your balls (you can also hit those 23 balls out on the range when done chipping). Or, Tijeras Creek has a nice chipping green (free) but limited on hitting areas to choose from.

Not too many public courses have chipping greens that are similar to the greens on the course, but they're out there. El Dorado, Lakewood, and Skylinks come to mind, as does Costa Mesa nearer where you live ... all free.

A suggestion: get a tube (or shag bag) and load it with your own balls, preferably brands you regularly use but have taken them out of play for whatever reason. Using range balls when chipping/pitching will not give you the same feel, spin, and roll as, say, a ProV or other quality ball.
 Message #85644 - This was a reply to message #85530
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Tuesday September 19, 2017 10:27 AM
True, which is why I like working the instrumented bays at the PGA Super Store, and even more I like my Laser Range Finder. I pick a spot, get the distance and go to work.

Totally agree with your complaint though. Best range for marking I have seen yet was at Riverwalk.
 Message #85656 - This was a reply to message #85642
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Tuesday September 19, 2017 4:26 PM
FYI Arthur, the balls at LFPC are dumbed down because people kept hitting over the far fence and homeowners complained. I'm told the balls there fly about 10% less than regular balls, so using the laser to the available targets will throw off your distances for your preferred clubs.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #85657 - This was a reply to message #85656
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Tuesday September 19, 2017 7:21 PM
I joined the LF players club a few months ago mostly for the grass range access. But to get a large bucket, when I can only hit about half a bucket, and to have to play $2 for grass access, kind of makes the deal not so great. Adding in the restricted flight balls as Dave mentioned - so I finally submitted my cancellation yesterday. I just wasn't getting what I wanted out of that range. I got spoiled when I was working in San Diego right my the Miramar Air Base, where I could get on and hit real balls on the grass for $3. The commute sucked, but that range was a deal! Now my commute is better, but a decent range is going to cost me.
 Message #85658 - This was a reply to message #85530
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Tuesday September 19, 2017 8:01 PM
Good to know, thank you.
 Message #85659 - This was a reply to message #85657
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Tuesday September 19, 2017 8:05 PM
I don't belong to LF Players club for the range balls, I seldom beat range balls unless I am working out a kink, prefer the PGA Super Store range. Having said that I can get out on course twice a week at LF for $5 a round with drink. (bought a drink after the round yesterday and it set me back $3.50 for a Coke Zero Sugar so I guess the round is nearly free). Also play Casta del Sol for $19, Fullerton for $19, Coyote Hills for $15, Rancho San Jaquine for $29 (crappy course), and can play Sky Links and a few others for less that normal. That is where the value is to me.
 Message #85660 - This was a reply to message #85658

Listing 1 to 8 of 8 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]