lamitchw
Getting old sucks!

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pacific Dunes

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday March 21, 2018 4:46 PM
So, I’m about to have an MRI on Friday on my shoulder that’s been killing me for almost a year now, and I’m pretty positive it’s going to show multiple tears that need surgery to repair. The thought of not being able to play golf for the next 4-6 months is really dragging me down. Have any of you dealt with shoulder surgery? How long were you out? Did your ability to play solid golf diminish after you returned? How long until you could hit balls again?

I know I’m in for an uphill battle, but I’m willing to put in the work to get back to playing well (whenever the hell that may be.) I’m even considering hiring a golf physical trainer to help strengthen the muscles necessary for the golf swing. I don’t know, I guess I’m going to have to find something else to replace all of the time I spent practicing and playing every week. Ugh. I really hate getting older, and now that I’m 45, I think this is just the beginning. Staying positive through this is going be a daunting task...

[[Edited by lamitchw on Thursday March 22, 2018 2:07 PM]]
 Message #87615
roarksown1
RE: Getting old sucks!
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Wednesday March 21, 2018 5:14 PM
You'll be good as gold! 45 is still very young and your body will recover. You just have to take your time and really let the healing happen so you don't ever have to go through this again. But I can understand the despair of not playing for that long ... I ruptured my left calf again a few years back and had around a 3-4 month hiatus that was agonizing. But once you're back at it, it'll be like you never left.
 Message #87616 - This was a reply to message #87615
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Wednesday March 21, 2018 5:24 PM
Getting old is not for the weak, and it beats the alternative.
 Message #87617 - This was a reply to message #87616
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Wednesday March 21, 2018 5:31 PM
I had a strained shoulder, and I couldn't swing for a couple of weeks. It was AWFUL! Sorry, I know that doesn't help at all.

[[Edited by sparky14 on Wednesday March 21, 2018 5:31 PM]]
 Message #87618 - This was a reply to message #87615
jjrauen

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples, Belen Mozo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach, Cowboys GC

Wednesday March 21, 2018 6:01 PM
I can relate to your angst...I've had (5) shoulder surgeries over the years. (3) on left and (2) on right. I'm a right handed golfer and found that coming back from work on the left took more time than when right was worked on. I guess because of the extension required. Bottom line is the 4-6 month recovery is probably about right, but depends on what needs to be repaired. Be sure to follow recovery instructions religiously, and be sure to get the physical therapy when doctor allows. Be patient, and stay positive. Shoulders are tricky and do require a lot to get range of motion back, and it is important to get range back, before trying to strengthen. I'm 58 now, my most recent shoulder procedure (more clean up than anything else, but included a torn bicep tendon repair as well) was in October of 2016 and I was back on the course in March 2017. Started slowly. I live in Brea,CA so Birch Hills was a good place to rehab. 13 par 3's and 5 short par 4's. I recommend limiting to short irons for the first few weeks back and slowly move up to longer clubs. Heat and ice is your friend after surgery. I prefer heat on shoulder and ice in a glass with a good bourbon. Good Luck. John
 Message #87619 - This was a reply to message #87618
abbacat

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday March 21, 2018 10:46 PM
I've had both shoulders repaired. The first one was really bad with a full thickness rotator cuff tear, a torn labrum and bone spurs. It was about 8 months of physical therapy before I could start swinging a club and a year before it was back to normal.
The second shoulder was much easier as I got it fixed at the first sign of familiar pain. At that point I had only a frayed labrum caused by a huge bone spur. Against the advice of my therapist I golfed four weeks after surgery. My swing was nowhere near normal but mentally it was the best thing for my recovery. I just had my right knee repaired a week ago and I'm aiming to play in 3-4 weeks.
I definitely recommend finding a physical therapist who golfs so he/she will understand the need to get back on the course!
 Message #87624 - This was a reply to message #87619
SCGolf

Favorite Golfer:
    Angelo Erikson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Southern Hills

Thursday March 22, 2018 11:49 AM
QUOTED I’m even considering hiring a golf physical trainer to help strengthen the muscles

If you're going this route, you should consider having an Orthopedic Surgeon who specializes in Sports Medicine operate/consult. In that field, those guys sees surgery as a last option. Rehab first. Get everything stronger and if necessary, surgery. Also, they're more knowledgeable on the latest techniques/advancements in the field.

Physician in Sports Medicine work more closely with their physical therapy teams. You'll have a more cohesive treatment which should aide in a full recovery.

Best of luck,
FIGHT ON!!!
 Message #87631 - This was a reply to message #87615
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Thursday March 22, 2018 7:35 PM
How did you tear it? Overuse injury? From golf? If so, did you overdo it? Tell us how to learn/prevent from this set back. Guessing (no personal experience) that the surgery will be successful, ul do a diligent rehab and then be back out there maybe better than ever with a bionic shoulder and ul be sending the doc nice xmas gifts.
 Message #87637 - This was a reply to message #87615
dcoachl

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Aguila

Friday March 23, 2018 6:59 AM
My wife opted for stem cell injection. So far so good. She plays 4-5 times a week.
 Message #87647 - This was a reply to message #87615
lamitchw

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pacific Dunes

Friday March 23, 2018 11:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback everybody. Your responses definitely give me some hope moving forward. I had my MRI this morning...we'll see what they say next week.
QUOTED  If you're going this route, you should consider having an Orthopedic Surgeon who specializes in Sports Medicine operate/consult.

My doctor (Dr. Getelman at SCOI Van Nuys) said he just recently did successful shoulder work on two current Senior PGATOUR players, and he's a golfer himself. That eases my mind a bit.
QUOTED  How did you tear it? Overuse injury? From golf? If so, did you overdo it?

I don't remember one specific instance that I was like " d%mn that hurt my shoulder!" I've been playing sports and working out most of my life, and I think things are starting to catch up to me. Over the last year I've felt things start to tighten, and in the last 6 months I've had varying levels of pain on every swing. Lately, even small half practice swings were very painful. Of course I overdid it... I'm a die-hard golfer! I have been laying off the weights for a while, thinking that was the major culprit. Unfortunately, I think golf is
QUOTED  I definitely recommend finding a physical therapist who golfs so he/she will understand the need to get back on the course!

That's the hope. I'll probably be doing therapy at the same place the doctor works, so hopefully he can make sure they know what plan of attack for them to take.
QUOTED  Heat and ice is your friend after surgery. I prefer heat on shoulder and ice in a glass with a good bourbon.

I like the way you think, John! Haha Best advice ever. I'll let you all know what the final prognosis is next week. In the meantime, I get to speculate. Awesome.

Mitch
 Message #87650 - This was a reply to message #87647

Listing 1 to 10 of 21 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]