Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Rebirth in Norcal: Corica Park and Baylands Gol...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Rebirth in Norcal: Corica Park and Baylands Golf Links

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1
sixpez
Rebirth in Norcal: Corica Park and Baylands Golf Links
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    The Next One

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday June 7, 2018 12:29 PM
I know it was getting rather sad talking about all the courses that were closing in CA, but how about some anticipation for "new" courses in the Bay Area?

Two local munis recently underwent major transformations and are set to debut their new and improved layouts.

The Chuck Corica Golf Complex in Alameda will henceforth be known as Corica Park, with the North and South Courses (instead of Earl Fry and Jack Clark Courses respectively). The par-3 Mif Albright Course is still there, though it has also been through some well-received recent renovations.

The big project featured Rees Jones being brought in to completely renovate the South Course, in conjunction with the agronomists of Greenway Golf. They redid the course basically from scratch with innovative new irrigation systems and turf designed to stand up to both heavy rains and possible future drought conditions in the East Bay Area. Jones modeled the new course design after the Sandbelt courses of Australia, and it is expected to be something special. It is getting ready for its Grand Opening later this month.

Next, Baylands Golf Links has already opened back up to the public in Palo Alto. This used to be the municipal Palo Alto Golf Course, which was an executive layout. Forrest Richardson redid the layout and it is now a full championship-length course with a links design style. It also looks pretty cool.

In SoCal, we have the completely new Rolling Hills Country Club which is kind of a similar story but at a private club. Hopefully you all caught roarksown1's detailed review and photos from his recent round there.

Nice to see some positive things happening in the CA golf scene and I can't wait to play both courses. I hadn't played either of these original courses, so I won't have a previous frame of reference. However, I'll be curious to start seeing some reviews coming in from Norcal GK'ers who are able to provide more insight about these basically "new" modern courses atop what were previously considered forgettable muni tracks.

[[Edited by sixpez on Thursday June 7, 2018 2:50 PM]]
 Message #88521
JohnnyGK
RE: Rebirth in Norcal: Corica Park and Baylands Golf Links

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Thursday June 7, 2018 1:26 PM
Definitely a nice breath of fresh air and excited about both those golf courses in Bay Area!
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #88522 - This was a reply to message #88521
AndrewZ28

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Purisima

Thursday June 7, 2018 3:24 PM
Not to hijack the thread but Linksoul took over the golf shop at Corica Park for our first Linksoul Lab in Northern California.

Grand Opening is later this month. I haven't been up to see the course yet but Alameda is a cool little town and from what I've heard from buddies the new Rees Jones design is really cool. I'm excited to see what they did with a pretty forgettable piece of property.
 Message #88524 - This was a reply to message #88522
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Friday June 8, 2018 10:08 AM
Nice to hear about courses being renovated and refurbished.

Got a message from the Mesquite G.M. after recently playing there, addressing my comments about the lack of course conditioning. They are under new management and he says they are going to refurbish the course. He also said they they will be redoing the bridges this summer.

They are closing end of June for the summer, reopening early October.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #88529 - This was a reply to message #88524

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]