Briggslaw
Pin in speeds play?

Favorite Golfer:
    Mark O’Meara
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mission Hills Gary Player

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday February 25, 2019 10:33 PM
While it has taken some people I have played with a little time to get used to leaving the pin in, by the fourth hole or so it usually is adopted as the default by all players, and before the front nine ends everyone comments that it really does seem to speed up play. Once your group is doing it, you really notice how much slower the group ahead is on the green if they are taking it out all the time. I think it actually makes people more aware of pace generally and thus saves maybe 10 minutes a round on its own, but actually more overall—it just seems to move everyone e along throughout the course. I am a believer, at least when the whole group agrees to leave it in. The real surprise, though, has been how many apparently regular golfers still don’t know the rule has changed! (The new lost ball option is how most people always played, but most don’t know it is a 2 stroke penalty. Also a very smart rule change. The knee high drop rule is dumb, but sure fun to watch people contort themselves!)
 Message #90700
sngernz
RE: Pin in speeds play?

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Tuesday February 26, 2019 5:56 AM
I agree. Leaving the pin in seems to speed up play on the greens ... I don't use it for short putts (inside 3 feet), though.
I saw one bounce off the stick the other day which would've gone in had it not been there (Dave Peltz isn't always right:-) Gotta make sure the pin is set in the middle.
QUOTED  The new lost ball option is how most people always played, but most don’t know it is a 2 stroke penalty.

To be clear, the new Alternative to Stroke & Distance for a lost ball is a 'Local Rule' which means it must be adopted by the course or committee (if playing in a tournament) in order to use it ... if playing 'by the Rules'.
 Message #90702 - This was a reply to message #90700
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Tuesday February 26, 2019 6:54 AM
Now that's I've played some rounds with the new rule I believe it does speed up play at little. And a little is better than nothing.

Simple system. Leave it in for long putts and pull it for medium-short putts. I've noticed leaving it in for long putts eliminates having to tend the pin and gets everyone more station at their putt attempts so they are ready to go when its their turn. Even helps when you have some in your group just off the green and others with long putts as there is no confusion who is out, the person furthest away now goes.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #90704 - This was a reply to message #90700
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Tuesday February 26, 2019 8:09 AM
Like Johnny said it seems to work best when it's left in for long putts then when everyone is within 10' or so, pull it for the entire group. where I've noticed the big difference is when someone is in the bunker, hits and is still away (often over the other side of the green). The new rule allows others to putt while the bunker player rakes the trap and gets ready for his/her next shot. Before, everyone stood around waiting.
 Message #90705 - This was a reply to message #90704
chevelle

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Wednesday February 27, 2019 5:32 AM
When our group first started leaving the flag in, I was ok with it on long putts, but 10 feet or less I didn't want it. After several weeks of putting long putts with it in, I decided to try it on short putts. What I found was the same experience Adam Scott mentioned, the flag stick becomes a great aiming point. On down hill putts my mind says hit the flag and you won't go 3 feet past, up hill it it a good back stop. On 3 feet putts it makes a great aiming point. I do make sure the stick is not leaning towards me and if it is it gets straightened it comes out. I think it does speed up play a little, maybe not as much as people think, but I am getting used to it. I do think it slows play when you have to get the ball out of the hole with the stick it, LOL
 Message #90713 - This was a reply to message #90705
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday February 27, 2019 11:37 AM
I think for the people whom had played on a regular basis, it helps speed up only by a little, but for many beginners, I'm believing that it helps them speed up even more. (No disrespect from any beginners.)

I'm on the wrong end of the new rule as I used to even ask for it off from off the green, but I have since adapted it first of the year and follow what everyone in the group does and I'm okay with it.

The only one time that I would ask for it off now even on the green is when the flag leans against my putt in a hole. In that case, I just know the ball isn't going in at all or if it doesn't lean that bad, it will lessen the chance of the ball to drop. So I may ask for it off and take the time and hope the group doesn't roll their eyes... ...I'm sure my guys will knowing they would do the same (lol)
JVGA
 Message #90718 - This was a reply to message #90700
Stone8

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil and Freddy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Wednesday February 27, 2019 1:37 PM
We have been using pin in for the entire new year and we agree it speeds up play, took almost a full round to get used to it and we pulled it for the short putts to minimize the chance of hitting the pin and bouncing away from the cup. It is really nice on those downhill slider putts.
 Message #90720 - This was a reply to message #90718
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Wednesday February 27, 2019 9:50 PM
I would say it speeds up play by a total of maybe 45 to 50 seconds over the course of 18 holes, but is convenient with long putts and when others are closer but still off the green.
 Message #90724 - This was a reply to message #90720
chevelle

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Thursday February 28, 2019 6:02 AM
[Posted By Rat-Patrol on 02.27.2019 9:50 PM]

I would say it speeds up play by a total of maybe 45 to 50 seconds over the course of 18 holes, but is convenient with long putts and when others are closer but still off the green.

I actually think that is about the correct time saved, it really is not much, but is very convenient on long putts. Golfers would save more time if they put the head covers on in the cart when driving instead of standing behind the cart puting it on before driving off, JMHO LOL. YES that bugs the crap out of me watching and waiting for the head covers by the cart. LOL

[[Edited by chevelle on Thursday February 28, 2019 6:10 AM]]
 Message #90728 - This was a reply to message #90724
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Thursday February 28, 2019 6:02 AM
I will agree it speeds up play. I have played one tournament with the new pin rule and it does help with POP and that should improve as players get used to the new deal and make it part of their routine(s).

What I notice now is the edge of the hole cut is getting more beat up. Maybe this is from the flag left in and getting the holed ball out without removing it?

I played many single rounds over the years and didn't pull the flag very often. A memorable time was early morning round at Morgan Creek GCC on the par 4 15th. Hit the green in reg. and had a long one. A bird was perched on top of the flag and I thought that's what I want a birdie. It flew off before I putted but sure enough I made it with the flag left in place. Scored it as 3 but it was technically a 5 according tho the rules of that time?
 Message #90729 - This was a reply to message #90724

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]