Deepsea14
New rule 3 minute ball search

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday February 28, 2019 6:19 AM
Do you think new time limit of three minute lost ball search will speed up play as much or more than the putting with the pin in rule?

Is there proper etiquette in reminding a fellow competitor of this? For example, in tournament play with tough soft conditions Player A hit his drive long left over trees between fairways. Most likely plugged. A long search ensued and in my opinion well over the three minute time. I simply walked away and went about my business after the courtesy of my assistance. I didn't want to point out the time limit and appear rude.
 Message #90730
mpisarski01
RE: New rule 3 minute ball search
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Grizzly Ranch

Thursday February 28, 2019 6:59 AM
I doubt it because there are two types of golfers. Ones that give up after 20 seconds and take their drop AND those who search the entire ob finding every ball except theirs no matter how much time it takes. They dont want to lose a stroke even though they still shoot 100.

The only time I could image calling out a player is if its in a Tournament and the search causes you to fall behind POP

[[Edited by mpisarski01 on Thursday February 28, 2019 7:13 AM]]
 Message #90731 - This was a reply to message #90730
Hollis

Favorite Golfer:
    Not sure
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goosecreekgc gc

Thursday February 28, 2019 6:56 PM
I'll just say 3 minutes is over pretty quick, more quickly than I prefer, but rules are rules, and they are for everyone, not just those who pick and choose which ones they like. Recently in a tournament I had a lapse in concentration and hit my tee shot into the rough between two parralel par 5's. Ball should have been easily found, but because 3 minutes went by so quickly, it wasn't, so I then proceeded back to the tee box and hit my third shot. I can't help but think that and additional 2 minutes may have helped me find my ball. The ball was there, I just didn't see it in allotted time. Now, my partners played ahead and I caught up rather quickly, but in that case I traded time for time. Had I been allowed to drop as close to the spot where ball was expected to be, with one stroke penalty of course, then the time saving factor would have been a valid argument, but because I had to travel back to tee box, retee and play my fourth stroke before the following group could resume, I'm not so sure. Maybe there is or should be a provision for lost balls that are ABSOLUTELY not OB or in any penalty area. If there is and I have overlooked this provision, please someone enlighten me, thank you.
Now I'm about to go read the rule book a little bit, I know, I know sounds exciting right, lol!?
 Message #90738 - This was a reply to message #90731
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Saturday March 2, 2019 2:39 AM
I'm with Matt in that most players take the drop in under 30 seconds or take ALL DAY on a scavenger hunt using their lost ball as an excuse to rummage through the weeds to see how many they can find. My guess is most of the ones taking all day to look for their 1980's balata golf ball don't even take a penalty stroke. I was paired with a guy one time who kept score by how many balls he found vs how many he lost during the round. He would spend FOREVER off in the weeds looking for lost golf balls. Very frustrating to say the least.

Hollis, you fall in that small percentage of times that yes, an extra couple minutes looking for a ball that you actually find, will save time over going back to the tee. My thought is that MOST of the time, the original ball is not found and it's just a waste of a couple extra minutes. I believe the new rule allows to drop with a 2 stroke penalty from where you believe the ball went out. This is to save the time of people going back.

Of course playing a provisional also prevents that. Also, in non competition, (I know it's against the rules) I don't have a problem with someone taking a drop without a penalty stroke in a scenario that you described where the ball would more than likely be found if the full allotted time was spent looking for it.

I'm all about speed of play and will use the "we need to get going, the group behind us is waiting" if someone is taking too long looking for a lost ball.

And here's the other thing. In casual play and even local tournaments, Who actually pulls out a stop watch (or phone with a timer) and times a player looking for a ball? I've never seen it or done it in my 500+ rounds. So my guess is, the 3 minutes is very subjective and probably closer to 5 minutes of actual time anyway. By the time someone realizes it's taking longer than expected to find their ball and starts to "monitor" the search time, a couple of minutes has already passed.
 Message #90752 - This was a reply to message #90738
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Sunday March 3, 2019 7:15 AM
Good question Deepsea. I don't spend a lot of time looking for lost balls but I sure have played with a lot of folks who do. The most frustrating lost ball is one you hit in the fairway but no one can find! (animal hole? patch of unmowed grass? who knows!) I don't think the difference of two minutes is going to matter much in regular am play. Most of us don't time each other and those low handicappers who spend all day looking for a ball rather than take a stroke are STILL going to take all day looking for their ball. I don't see this rule change affecting the average golfer or POP very much at all.
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #90757 - This was a reply to message #90752

Listing 1 to 5 of 5 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]