Sacramento / Roseville Area

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday August 12, 2019 10:27 AM
I'm looking at taking a golf trip to the Sacramento / Roseville area to meet a buddy for a few days of golf.

What's the best time of year to hit this area? We wouldn't be getting over to Tahoe area for any rounds, so cold/snow not as much of a consideration.

I was uncertain about temperature and rainfall patterns in that S/R area. Also, when courses in that area normally do their maintenance.

Are they open year-round up there, or closed for winter?

Thanks for the feedback.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #92197
24hourgolf
RE: Sacramento / Roseville Area

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday August 12, 2019 10:33 AM
Sept is good/great. But just like S CA you can get warm/hot weather. Oct, Nov and even Dec are ideal. If you are going to get rain, it won't come until most likely Dec? After living there for many years, I always found the Sept - Dec time frame to be great for golf. And of course, we now have many members who update us on the many great courses and conditions in the Sacramento area. As for year round vs closed? In the Sacramento/Roseville area they are open year round. Obviously, the farther N you go, conditions change. Either check GK for maintenance or call them directly, would be my suggestion?
 Message #92198 - This was a reply to message #92197
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday August 12, 2019 12:58 PM
Sept is a big aeration month.

In the winter, we get frost delays. I'd say Dec-Jan are the coldest months. And maybe 10-15 mornings a year are frosty. and I'm talking the lowest parts of Sac.

Rain? Who knows from year to year. This past winter spring, it seemed like it rained nonstop from Dec-April.
 Message #92201 - This was a reply to message #92198
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Tuesday August 13, 2019 7:43 AM
Agree with both replies. The time of year you visit would narrow the recommendation(s) where to play. Roseville area I have over 15 years experience including the foothill area of Auburn. Wash out rain days start slow around end of October being possible to more then most likely deeper into winter reverse in the spring.

In Auburn area (15 mins +1000ft elevation from Roseville) you can play Winchester CC for $130, The Ridge Auburn GC $65 approx, or the toughest 9 holes in NorCal Blackhawk for $9 walking mid-week. Courses in the $$$ to the $ level depending on your preference. Time of year and recent weather would dictate where I would recommend also. Drainage of modern courses over the older lower lying track makes a difference a day after inches of rain.

Roseville area over 55 communities have a few courses, city owned courses, private owned open to public, semi-private (afternoon tee times) to private country clubs you could probably play with reciprocal privileges (usually a phone call from your pro).

The quantity, quality, accessibility and wide variety of golf opportunities in Sacramento can't be overlooked. My Sunday partner and I have a rotunda of area tracks we rotate around and are never bored with. Keeps your putting game challenged with different greens each time you play. (Est.)Over 40 courses in approximately 45 minute drive from Roseville.

As you firm up your visit date(s) repost this and I can give you up to date hot list info at that time.
 Message #92208 - This was a reply to message #92201
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Grizzly Ranch

Tuesday August 13, 2019 8:53 PM
I highly recommend Apple Mountain if you can drive a little bit (30-45 mins). Such a fun layout and its mountain golf.
 Message #92216 - This was a reply to message #92208
sbarajasjr

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Aviara

Wednesday August 14, 2019 12:55 PM
I would recommend Yocha if you haven't already played it. Not that far from SAC International and a Troon property. Says it all!
 Message #92217 - This was a reply to message #92216

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]