Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
First time at course, jinx your game?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: First time at course, jinx your game?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1
FirstFlightFX-101
First time at course, jinx your game?

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Calimesa Country Club

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday September 16, 2019 12:02 PM
Does playing a course for your first time, usually end up with about +10 strokes over what you were expecting to shoot? It does for me, and I know it is a mental thing...a jinx. The second or third time I play that same course, I can then score at or near what my index and the slope would predict. I will even do some homework before that first round, but I still seem to mis-judge, mis-read and miss hit enough, to be haunted by this mental jinx.
I played 3 new courses this season and this jinx is still with me. Anyone else regularly experience this? Better yet, did you get past it and how?

I'm hesitant to plan any real multi-day multi-course golf trips, until I can shake or minimize this. Just to be clear, I would still enjoy a golf trip, I just want to get past this to enjoy it even more. Imagine playing for the first time; Purisima, Alisal, Rancho San Marcos, & Glen Annie over 3 days, and being jinxed at each of them. ;-)
 Message #92408
sparky14
RE: First time at course, jinx your game?

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Monday September 16, 2019 1:54 PM
Not really for me. I tend to play new courses conservatively. On courses I know well, I try to go over trees, through bunkers, charge every putt. On new courses, I just play fairways and greens. And darned if my score isn't a little better on average.

But the next time I play that course, I'm going over those trees because I think I might be able to shave 1 shot off.
 Message #92409 - This was a reply to message #92408
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday September 16, 2019 2:23 PM
For me it depends on the slope/rating- but if the course is very difficult, it'll probably always play tough no matter what, but the lesser the ratings are the better where my chances are. More accurately, the blind shots on any new holes gets me more than anything.

Many if not all times nowadays when playing new courses, a quick glance at the card for slope/rating dictates the tees I should be on. However, that's not always true. I have been on the longer tees with a much higher slope/ratings more than a few times on a course I have not seen, but for the first time on those courses I did well- feels like a win.

One of the courses you mentioned, La Purisima, a fantastic course in my book that I've only played once, I think it may have been 5-6 years ago, I wasn't on the tips, but the blues, which were more than enough for me and I did okay for my 10 or 9 handicap at the time with an 81.

Similarly for the first time on the blues with courses like: Moorpark CC , a 73 (*out of my norm.) , Coto de Caza North 81... I felt like I just stole something. Years ago, Woods Valley 82 with a 12 handicap. Those really were some of my fun times... I just hope there will be more new courses to discover in my future.

Additionally, research and preparation helps. Weather may be a factor including state of health, followed by proper equipment.

However, courses I visited in Ireland a couple years by, and obviously my first time were the toughest I've had to deal with. Yes, weather was cold, windy, hailing at times and course conditions were very different not to mention jetlagged and high pub frequency. On a course like those, it's not an excuse... Only the best makes it work- I was not one of them.

Good luck on your future new courses.
JVGA
 Message #92410 - This was a reply to message #92408
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday September 16, 2019 2:26 PM
QUOTED  [Posted By sparky14 on 09.16.2019 1:54 PM]
Not really for me. I tend to play new courses conservatively. On courses I know well, I try to go over trees, through bunkers, charge every putt. On new courses, I just play fairways and greens. And darned if my score isn't a little better on average.

But the next time I play that course, I'm going over those trees because I think I might be able to shave 1 shot off.

(like button- Clicked!)
JVGA
 Message #92411 - This was a reply to message #92409
FirstFlightFX-101

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Calimesa Country Club

Monday September 16, 2019 3:39 PM
Yeah, Like button clicked here too!

*One of my buddies said leave the driver and sand wedge at home when you play a course for the first time!?!?!
 Message #92413 - This was a reply to message #92411
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Monday September 16, 2019 6:25 PM
QUOTED  For me it depends on the slope/rating- but if the course is very difficult, it'll probably always play tough no matter what, but the lesser the ratings are the better where my chances are. More accurately, the blind shots on any new holes gets me more than anything.

Many if not all times nowadays when playing new courses, a quick glance at the card for slope/rating dictates the tees I should be on.

Perfectly stated Noel. The higher the slope/rating, the greater likelihood that there is more "hidden" trouble that may not be apparent on first glance than a layout with a much lower slope/rating. Nothing worse than hitting what you think is an excellent shot and ending up in trouble because of something you were unfamiliar with.

However, I have also found that ignorance may be an asset when playing a new course. I have occasionally tried shots that turned out great when playing a course for the first time. Missing trouble I would not have challenged after seeing it up close from the green instead of a couple of hundred yards away in the fairway is easier when you did not realize it was there perhaps? But I would prefer to have seen a course before rather than leave it to chance.

My best guess is that seeing/playing the holes before to me might be worth a shot+, depending on the course.
The goal is long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, could I at least hit them straighter?
 Message #92414 - This was a reply to message #92410

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]