Get my head together

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday December 24, 2019 5:13 AM
Jan 2019 I shot 78,first time below 80. In the last 11 months I have had 2 other shots at 79 and blew it both times. First I needed a boggie on 18 at El Prado Chino Creek (a par 4) and I doubled for 80. Last week I needed a pair on 18 at Dos Lagos (a pair 5) for 79 and I blew it again, put the drive in the water and got a boggie for 80. The positive is I came close 2 more times. You know when I bowled, and I was good, with 3 300s and 2 800 series, and averaging 231 one year, it told me 25 years to learn to control my emotions and my body when I had the first 9 strikes so I could get up in the 10th frame and crush 3 strikes for 300. I hope it doesn't take that long in golf because I am 67 and don't have 25 years left, LOL.
 Message #93029
dcoachl
RE: Get my head together

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Aguila

Tuesday December 24, 2019 8:31 AM
It’s funny (and I think the same way) how 79 is so much better than 80 lol

[[Edited by dcoachl on Tuesday December 24, 2019 8:31 AM]]
 Message #93030 - This was a reply to message #93029
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Tuesday December 24, 2019 9:02 AM
LOL?!

"The older I get the better I used to be." - Lee Trevino

The elusive 79 (or better). From what you've wrote, looks to me you have the ability and the mental fortitude to do it. My last chance at 79 had even 36 on front I'm thinking I can't miss making the turn... never mind how that went. Had a 69 on a Par 58 course this year. Does that count?

Having under 30 putts a round is a more realistic goal for me these days. Sunday at Yocha DeHe had 15 on the front; 3 putt the 18th = 31 total for the round, LOL.

Another stat I should accomplish this year is shooting my age. Not strokes in the round, but rounds played in 2019 (59th) this weekend.

Merry Christmas to all
 Message #93031 - This was a reply to message #93030
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Tuesday December 24, 2019 10:00 AM
I like the idea of playing my age in rounds. 63 rounds would be pretty awesome. I might even have a chance to break 80 again. I remember after I broke 80 the first time being told it will be easier now that had done it. Not true. Took several years to shoot 79 again and have only done it twice. I have learned not to add my score till after the round because I don't want to know what I "might" be able to shoot. The first time I had a 38 on the front nine and got excited at he possibilities I shot 50 on the back and never counted up my score at the turn again!
 Message #93032 - This was a reply to message #93031
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Wednesday December 25, 2019 5:38 AM
Every time I shoot a low round, like breaking 80, I am soon reminded of how good a round that was and how difficult it is to repeat.
 Message #93033 - This was a reply to message #93032
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Wednesday December 25, 2019 7:51 AM
QUOTED  Every time I shoot a low round, like breaking 80, I am soon reminded of how good a round that was and how difficult it is to repeat.

Copy that Jim.

QUOTED  It’s funny (and I think the same way) how 79 is so much better than 80 lol

I think many feel this way Scott.

Keith, I am into stats and scores as much as anyone on this website. I know exactly how many over I am heading into the last few holes. I DO think this is sometimes to my detriment because of "pressure" that no one knows exists but me. It is solely a battle within to finish below 80 AND to par or better as many holes as possible that particular day. I cannot change who I am just because I may be +6 after 17. If I would have tried a long iron approach shot over water early in the round, you can be d%mn sure I would try the same shot on #18 even if I could hit 2 wedges around land and 2 putt for a bogey and a 79. Sometimes I respond to the "pressure" I put on myself and make par for a 78. Sometimes I ckoke like a dog on a chicken bone, dunk one in the water and what might have been turns into an 81. Either way, I did my best to finish with a par. I can live with that.

There is a feeling of satisfaction when I come in with a 79, even if I was leaking oil down the stretch and barely made it by playing poorly the last few holes. Come in with an 80, even if I played well down the stretch, it feels like a rare missed opportunity to reach the elusive 70's for me.
The goal is long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, could I at least hit them straighter?
 Message #93034 - This was a reply to message #93033
Hollis

Favorite Golfer:
    Not sure
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goosecreekgc gc

Wednesday December 25, 2019 8:58 AM
It's funny, I remember having stood on the 18th tee box knowing I needed birdie or par to shoot 79 or better, 5 or 6 times, and failing. I guess I remember those instances because I was so angry afterwards. I also remember that once I did accomplish the sub80 feat, it took me many rounds to do it again.
My 'great white whale' of the present is an even par round. Closest I've come has been 2 over on Champions at Tukwet Canyon after getting bogeys on the last two holes! Complete mental letdown, quick synopsis;
17th hole par 3, approx 165/170 to pin, light breeze in face (didn't take into account), hit straight shot came up short of green, chip up two putt bogey.
18th hole par 4 into light breeze, very good drive, left approx 140/150 to red flag pin. Left an easy swinging 9 iron (had forgot about the wing, arg!) just short of the green. Chip up, two putt bogey.
That was about 6 months ago, I left the course steaming mad at myself, despite it being the best round I've ever played. The irony of this game! It's the only thing I do where I leave angry, but can't wait to come back!
Back to that sub80 convo, looking back on the golfer I was, compared to the golfer I am now, helps me set goals for the future.
 Message #93035 - This was a reply to message #93034

Listing 1 to 7 of 7 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]