GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday January 9, 2020 3:14 PM
I just saw this on the internet:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/renowned-golf-course-architect-pete-dye-is-dead-at-94/ar-BBYNBE2?ocid=ientp

I wasn't aware that he was still around, but I'm sure we all have played some great Pete Dye designs.
 Message #93142
sbarajasjr
RE: Pete Dye RIP
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Aviara

Thursday January 9, 2020 3:27 PM
Only got to play a handful of his designs but La Quinta Mountain (the iconic stretch on the back 9 we all love) and Trump National standout for me. Carlton Oaks has so much potential and he probably would have loved to have seen his course recently he named as one of the most improved of 2019!
 Message #93143 - This was a reply to message #93142
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Friday January 10, 2020 8:29 AM
Definitely a distinctive style. Even if I do not know who the course designer was, as soon as I see a bunch of man made mounds, moguls and the use of railroad ties, pretty good bet it was a Dye course or he heavily influenced whoever the designer was.

Some of Pete's designs were WAY ahead of their time.

I have gotten to where I enjoy getting beat up @ PGA West Stadium using modern balls and clubs. However, I can see why even the PGA Tour pros wanted to avoid that place 30+ years ago using 1980's balls and clubs.

Stadium and La Quinta Dunes are examples of his designs where especially if you have a low ball flight, a few inches of carry (or not) over a non traditional hazard can result in you being short in a world of trouble with little chance at making par.

2 drives on the same line, same trajectory that carry 1 yard different can produce such ridiculously different results on many Dye layouts. One drive can barely miss clearing a mound, carom off the diagonal side of a hill and be in a world of trouble after the carom cost you 50+ yards in roll AND bounced you sideways off line. Often zero chance of reaching the green in regulation. Or a drive that carried 1 yard more can easily be 50+ yards farther in the center of the fairway with a shorter iron into the green.

Then, you repeat that process on approach shots to mostly raised greens. Miss a green by one foot, and you may roll 20+ yards down into a valley with a much better chance at double than par. Carry it one foot farther and you are likely okay.

When I think of a traditional Dye course, I think of the drives or approach shots that on most courses would be just fine, maybe even excellent... and on a shot you barely missed, you are suddenly bringing double into play on many of his classic designs.

Modernly, the trend seems to be toward more playable golf courses with POP for the average hacker a top priority. Do not think that was the case on many of Pete's designs. I have read where he wanted to have even PGA Touring pro's talking to themselves on some of his designs. I would venture a guess that he suceeded.
The goal is long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, could I at least hit them straighter?
 Message #93146 - This was a reply to message #93143
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Friday January 10, 2020 8:47 AM
Sad news and one of my favorite golf course designers.

I don't think I ever played one his golf courses and walked away disappointed... a lot less golf balls ... but never disappointed. The demand on precise shot making and visual intimidation was second to none.

Thank You Pete for all your contributions to our amazing game if you are reading this post up there.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #93147 - This was a reply to message #93142
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Friday January 10, 2020 9:18 AM
The modern day design "guru" before Tom Fazio was out of diapers. I'm not sure if this statement is completely accurate just what came to mind thinking of his life works.

Way before I played a PD course the TPC Sawgrass was etched in my mind from the TV coverage. We'd be in winter off season in the NE and seeing the greenery on TV in early March got the golf itch ignited in many of us. Railroad ties and the 17th hole. Later I played a replica at Tour 18 Houston Texas parred it tee box closer to the drop area than the tips. Still kept my ball dry.

Historically I think Pete Dye will rank in the top of the newer course design geniuses. The Donald Ross of the late 70's to the modern day.

RIP long life well lived.
 Message #93148 - This was a reply to message #93147
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods--- Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Friday January 10, 2020 10:41 AM
This guy made tough golf courses. I have played many but the ones that come to mind right away is the Stadium Course at PGA West and Lost Canyons which is no more. If you ever wanted to know where your game stood playing those two alone would give you the answer. Also enjoyed La Quinta Mountain and Las Vegas Paiute. RIP Mr. Dye. Thank You for your contribution to the game we love.
Please check my websitegdrgolf instruction click here
 Message #93149 - This was a reply to message #93148

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]