msherer260
Green reading books, apps

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday March 21, 2020 2:07 PM
Talk about the BS in golf, what Jack Nicklaus would have won how many majors, not with better equipment, no with the green reading BS that just about every one is privy to today. how many of us tee it up at a golf course for the first time and have to figure out which way the ball is going to fall on a green let alone by the hole...every pro already knows the major break on every hole and now the players can narrow it down to inches...Even Tiger Woods would have a couple more majors under his belt had he had the same green books his first 5 or 6 years out there. It is one thing to complain that the ball goes to far but it is another to take away the power of the green and putting......so next time you see a player with a $500 or more putter don't think for a second it is the tool it is the fact they no longer have to read greens from a 10 foot break to a 3 inch break THEY KNOW.
 Message #94147
Krystal
RE: Green reading books, apps

Favorite Golfer:
    dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Royal County Down

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday March 21, 2020 10:01 PM
In 1961, however primitive, Jack essentially made his own US Amateur yardage book...

krys

https://www.flaghunting.com/single-post/Golfers-Yardage-Book-101
 Message #94160 - This was a reply to message #94147
Alex326
RE: Green reading books, apps

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday March 22, 2020 3:32 AM
Interesting take on the green reading app and books. I see it differently. I think Tiger and Jack would have less major wins if the apps and books were available. I think their ability to read the greens better than their competitors gave them the advantage. If the green reading books were available, then their competitors would have access to them too and it would probably help the competitors more than Jack and Tiger.

I say this because my wife is excellent at reading greens. To the point it really annoys me how good she is! I’ve stopped having putting contests with her because she kicks my tail every time! Now if we had a green reading app/book it would greatly help me but not her so much as she already has the eye to read the break.

I believe Tiger and Jack are in that same category. They proved they’re excellent at it and it would only have helped them a bit while their competitors would have gained significant advantage from it.

As far as every player on having access to it? Tour and amateurs alike? Do like a tournament with a lot of birdies or see them struggle to make par? I’m sort of in the middle myself. I think I’m more oppose to them on due to a pace of play issue more than anything.

When I have a caddie, I expect him to give me the spot on read. So why not have a book to do the same thing? I guess I just answered my own question and I’m for them.
 Message #94161 - This was a reply to message #94160

Listing 1 to 3 of 3 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]