How often do you change clubs?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    El Tigre
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm Playing

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday October 1, 2015 9:53 PM
Got new clubs May of last year. I didn't think i wanted new clubs until I hit the new Titleist 716 AP1 on Monday... they felt really good and i'm thinking of getting fit for them.

Current set Cleveland 7-PW 588 TT Irons/ 5-6 588 MT Irons / 20.5 degree 588 hybrid Stiff Steel shaft on the irons

New Set?????
 Message #74309
grantar2
RE: How often do you change clubs?

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Thursday October 1, 2015 10:41 PM
Is your current set fitted for you? Are your shots predictable? Do you like the look and feel? Will you get more out of new clubs than a lesson?

Is money no object and you just want them? Will you trade them in, or sell them on ebay?

If the clubs you have are a year old, fitted to you and you play well, particularly with the wedges, do you want to absorb a learning curve? If the clubs you have now have never satisfied you and you miss your old clubs, then likely yes.

At least your going for irons and not drivers like so many.
 Message #74310 - This was a reply to message #74309
hermgolfs

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Jordan Spieth
Favorite Golf Course:
    Champions Club, lately

Thursday October 1, 2015 11:16 PM
Are your current clubs worn out? Are you chasing the new, best thing? If you buy new, do you plan to keep your Cleveland 588 TT's? Would you be willing to sell one or more irons from that set? I'm not judging, just wondering what you're thinking.

In April of this year, I bought a very lightly used set of Cleveland 588 TT irons (4-DW), and I love them. They took the place of my Cleveland TA-4 irons, bought in the year 2000 (grooves were really showing wear, especially on 7, 8 and PW). I tend to be frugal, so might be with these 588 TT's for a while.
 Message #74312 - This was a reply to message #74309
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Friday October 2, 2015 12:09 AM
What is a DW?
 Message #74313 - This was a reply to message #74312
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday October 2, 2015 5:02 AM
When do I get a new set or a new to me set? About every 15 to 20 years . . . gotta keep up with technology ya know!
 Message #74314 - This was a reply to message #74313
hermgolfs

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Jordan Spieth
Favorite Golf Course:
    Champions Club, lately

Friday October 2, 2015 6:49 AM
QUOTED  What is a DW?

Art - my DW is a "dual wedge" with a 49 degree loft. You might also think of it as a strong gap wedge.

QUOTED  When do I get a new set or a new to me set? About every 15 to 20 years . . . gotta keep up with technology ya know!

Yes Rat-Patrol, I understand. I have owned only one new set of irons in my golfing life. Cobbled together my first set of used mismatched clubs, then got a hand-me-down set from dad before starting high school. Got another hand-me-down from dad while in college, then bought brand new Cleveland TA-4 set in 2000.

Osama's just doing his part to keep the economy moving?
 Message #74315 - This was a reply to message #74314
OsamabinHacking

Favorite Golfer:
    El Tigre
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm Playing

Friday October 2, 2015 8:35 AM
QUOTED  Osama's just doing his part to keep the economy moving?

Yeah that must be it

Although i've shot the best rounds of my life with my current set, i've also been playing more golf. I think one of the first steps i'm going to do is check the loft on my current clubs.... I have gaps from 8-PW going 150-110 yards on three clubs.

BTW does anyone know how to do that?

I've owned 4 sets of irons in the 16 or so years i've been golfing so I don't think i'm a club whore (is that allowed here? ) But those AP1's felt so good!!! It was a partial fitting, my golf instructor is a master club fitter for Titleist and he knew my swing so he bought me the right club/lie/shaft combo or pretty close to it.

I've never sold an old set of clubs before what would be the going rate for clubs? I got fitted for these clubs, but i think i ended up w/ standard specs for everything with stiff shaft.
 Message #74316 - This was a reply to message #74315
t8fish

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Friday October 2, 2015 8:41 AM
Played with a set of Spaulding Executives for over 30 years and got a set of Wilson Staff Ci7s in 2008. I will probably die with the Ci7s.

However, I keep the Executives as a backup/guest set and recently used them as a travel set when I went back to the midwest this summer. Figured if something happened to them—then so what?

I also went back to NewYork in September, where my father (deceased) also had a set of Executives that I regripped a few years ago. (It was when I saw and tried his many years ago that I decided to buy my Executives, so they predate mine.) Used them on this trip to play, and borrowed my buddy's driver. This allowed me to travel with a gym bag and never had to check clubs or suitcase.

So, while I love my Ci7s and these trips were the exception, you might say that, technically, I'm still playing the Executives 40-something years down the line.
 Message #74318 - This was a reply to message #74315
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday October 2, 2015 9:27 AM
driver: every 3-5 years... usually driven by a broken shaft
iron set: i've been golfing since 1997... starter set replaced by cleveland Ta-7 early 2000s, replaced by titleist AP1 2013
wedges: lob wedge probably every 2 years, though it should be every year; gap wedge still has good grooves 10 yrs later
fairway wood: still using cleveland launcher 5 wood i got the same time as the cleveland iron sets; looked to replace 3 wood 3 times, but always went back to the companion launcher 3 wood.
hybrid: bought a taylor made rescue (the original generation) mid 2000's, just replaced it with the titleist 915h this year, and replaced my 4 iron with a hybrid, so now have 2 hybrids in my bag for the first time.
putter: early, tried different ones, settled on a odyssey mallet for 5 years, got a scotty in 07, toyed with my wife's blade odyssey for 6 months then went back to my scotty until i recently went through an edel putter fitting, which will most likely be my last putter.
 Message #74320 - This was a reply to message #74318
hermgolfs

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Jordan Spieth
Favorite Golf Course:
    Champions Club, lately

Friday October 2, 2015 12:30 PM
Osama, there are specs charts online that will give factory lofts, lie angles, lengths and swing weights for most "modern" clubs, going back to at least 1990's. I have a chart bookmarked on my home computer.
http://www.golfclubspec.com/irons.php
Use the url above, and you should be able to find your clubs.

[[Edited by hermgolfs on Friday October 2, 2015 12:34 PM]]
 Message #74322 - This was a reply to message #74321

Listing 1 to 10 of 42 Replies

PAGES: 5 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]