Discussions in Rant & Raves
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, kviser, Paisano, thingstodo

Forums
General Forums
Rant & Raves
18 & replay and play all day "deals" ARE THEY F...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: 18 & replay and play all day "deals" ARE THEY FOR REAL?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1
Nickesquire
18 & replay and play all day "deals" ARE THEY FOR REAL?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday May 30, 2019 3:24 PM
The season has arrived where you see many two and occassionally four player 18 + replay or "play all day" deals on multiple golf resell sites for the hot weather areas. They look really enticing. However, is the marketing really accurate?

I have played on all of the following "deals" sometime in the past few years. Here has been the good, the bad and the ugly of my experiences in the Palm Springs area on the summer specials that appear too good to be true. And sometimes are.

Marriott Shadow Ridge: Have purchased this deal multiple times, and it has always been 100% as advertised. Shadow Ridge is almost always busy, so do not expect quick rounds on a tougher than average track. 4.5H rounds are the norm, so plan accordingly. Excellent course with good food options available onsite. Of all the specials offered, I look forward to this one. Both because of the 4 player option after June 4th and the quality of the course IMO. Excellent customer service from all and the pro shop has always went out of their way to get you back out as quickly as possible.

PGA West: You can play any 2 of the 5 courses on their 18 + replay deal. While still pricey compared to "normal" courses, after the price comes down on the summer special, this is a great value for the area. For me, Stadium is a must out of your 2 rounds. I would rank the other courses, in order, Nicklaus Tournament, Mountain, Norman and finally Dunes. These are all tough courses, so do not expect quick rounds. May be tougher to get back out for your 2nd round than all the deals that follow if you want a specific course.

The others I am listing in alphabetical order since they are all a notch below what I perceive to be the value of the first two.

Bermuda Dunes: 27 hole facility, but usually only 18 open during the week. Fun course to play, good old school layout that used to regularly host the PGA Tour back in the day. First time I used it they closed early, around 2pm. We were allowed to finish the 9 we were on. Very dissappointing to have them close the course for play with 6 hours of daylight left? This week was my second time. Thumbs up, they let golfers continue playing even though the pro shop closed early.

Cathedral Canyon: They have dozens of regulars whose average age is around 80 with their own private carts who tee off most mornings when it is too dark to see. Well before the pro shop opens, so you may book the first available tee time and find yourself in about the 6th group? However, you can cruise around later in the day after the super seniors are gone. Which is about 9am, they are done and already home having breakfast! However, this course is delusional. One of the poorer courses in the greater Palm Springs area and their online "deal" is among the highest priced?

Cimarron: Have purchased this one multiple times. Have not played there since the courses were severely damaged by the huge floods several months ago. What I can see from the street looked like the place is only partially open, because several fairways are just gone, washed away by the flood. The price is right, both courses were decent and fun to play. They close early, if the restaurant is open at all it will close by lunch and the pro shop by early afternoon. However, I have been allowed to play on until dark many rounds there and the staff is very friendly and accomodating.

Desert Dunes: Playing conditions likely so/so for the Palm Springs area. Just saw a $29 TWO person voucher that includes replay. Two people can both ride 36 holes for $29 total? I want to like this course because it is an excellent Robert Trent Jones, Jr. layout. However, I can't because it's located in a wind tunnel. Surrounded by all the wind mills for a reason? The wind is why it is being offered at that price. Have played there several times when it was unplayable due to the wind. A steal if you get lucky and it's a rare calm day. But be prepared to play in 15-40+ mph winds on many more days that it will be calm.

Desert Falls: A links style layout in Palm Springs is a rarity. The pro shop closes early in the 2-3 pm range in the summer. However, I have not encountered an issue with continuing to play on with a cart after being checked in. Good course, fun to play. But usually rougher around the edges condition wise than most area courses.

Marriott Desert Springs: Two courses, both usually have above average conditions except for their sand, which is routinely poor to terrible on both courses. They often close the driving range early. Pro shop and starters are usually gone by 3pm. As long as you already have your cart, I have never had any challenges playing on. Usually no marshall, so I have ran into an "8some" of resort guests all playing together. Decent courses and their four player option is a great value.

Mountain Vista: One of the best local "deals" IMO, I have used this deal more than any other. Two courses, both in good to excellent condition year round. While they are packed in peak season, usually few players in the summer, especially mid day and later. Have played both courses twice this week and averaged around 3H per 18. Both are fun courses to play and the price is certaintly right.

Rancho las Palmas: Can often get good prices even if the three 9's are nothing special. They close early but usually if you already have checked in and have your cart, they let you play on. I have more than once regularly played 9 after 9 in less than 1.5H per 9. Fun courses if you can get on cheaply.

Terra Lago: Expect the pro shop to close early, probably by 3pm. However, I have played on til dark more than once w/o issue. Good courses, most players either really like them or think they are too quirky/hard with few opinions in between. I find both to be very under rated courses for this area. One of the better values, but Indio can get windy, so check the wind forecast before you schedule your tee time.

The Golf Club @ La Quinta: Used this one multiple times. The good is that their included lunch deal is outstanding and the course is usually not overly stacked. The bad is that they will tell you when you check in that all carts are required to be in by 4:30 and they are looking to lock the place down before 5pm. And by 4:30, they mean that they will be out on the course telling you to finish this hole and drive in if it's after 4pm and you are still out playing. Mediocre course, do not be fooled just because someone fronted the $$$ for them to have hosted several PGA Tour Skins games a decade + ago.

The S @ Rancho Mirage: Everything was closed up by noon? We got in 36 because we started at dawn, but the course was very mediocre for this area. They obviously were not watering and maintaining it very well in the summer months. One and done for me on their "special".

Westin Mission Hills Player/Dye: The Player is generally considered the superior course, but they close it early (2 pm) in the summer because it is NOT the course where the resort with all the guests are located. The Dye, about 1/2 mile away is bordered by the actual resort. So plan on playing the Dye course later in the day. Just read a GK review that they are up to their old tricks. See reviews from 140ver and I from the summer of 2016 for more details. Mike and I were VERY unamused to be ordered off the Player course mid way through our front 9 with about 5 hours of daylight left and told we had to turn in our cart and go play on the recently aeriated greens of the Dye course if we truly wanted to "play all day" like the voucher they sold us promised.

I guess the bottom line is buyer beware! You REALLY need to call ahead and verify if what you are being marketed is actually what you will encounter once you have purchased your voucher and show up and try and use it.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Tuesday June 4, 2019 4:56 PM]]
The goal is long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, could I at least hit them straighter?
 Message #91485
Arpeggi
RE: 18 & replay and play all day "deals" ARE THEY FOR REAL?

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday May 30, 2019 4:00 PM
Thanks for the post! I live in Orange County and plan on playing in Palm Springs this summer. Been looking at the deals on underpar and I also have the summer Troon card.

Looks like Shadowridge, Desert Springs and Mountain Vista are good options.
 Message #91486 - This was a reply to message #91485
abbacat

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday May 30, 2019 4:12 PM
Desert Dunes is one of my area favorites and I've been lucky never to have experienced the wind. But you can bet that when they offer that deal conditions are horrible. Last time there were foot tall weeds and giant ant hills all over the fairways. The bunkers were gravel pits. We played 27 holes then just couldn't deal with it anymore.
 Message #91487 - This was a reply to message #91486
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday May 30, 2019 6:09 PM
these deals are because it's an inferno in the desert in the summer, and you'd be nuts to play after 10am, when it's already 100 degrees out. They probably figure what they lose in green fee, they more than make up in drinks sales.
 Message #91488 - This was a reply to message #91487
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Thursday May 30, 2019 6:44 PM
I've been to Desert Dunes once. August. Bad call. I was the only person in sight. It was hot, 115-120, and I think the wind was also 115-120. It was an open air blast furnace. I got through 6 holes, and was near the clubhouse. My driver actually spoke to me ... "what the h*** are we doing out here?" he said. I agreed, and we all left.
 Message #91489 - This was a reply to message #91487
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Thursday May 30, 2019 8:11 PM
I think they should change the terms and conditions to something like "all day play voucher is good all day! "Day" means 9:00 am through 2:00 pm. "Day" means you must walk and carry your bag. "Day" also means you must carry the bag of a member as well. And buy them lunch. And give them a back rub. Have a great round! Limit one round per day. That single round must last all day, or 9 holes, whichever comes first."

[[Edited by sparky14 on Thursday May 30, 2019 8:12 PM]]

[[Edited by sparky14 on Thursday May 30, 2019 8:15 PM]]
 Message #91490 - This was a reply to message #91489
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Thursday May 30, 2019 9:48 PM
Great post, Nick! I've done the Cimarron deal each of the last four or five years, and have another voucher this year. We typically try to get one of the first tee times of the day and are done with 36 (even with two rounds on Boulder) by around noon.

The one time I used the four-player Desert Springs deal was a super fun day but extremely busy at the resort all (weekend) day. We still finished 54 holes, though, playing from dawn to dusk. IIRC, we had to wait about 90 minutes after our first round to start the second round.
 Message #91492 - This was a reply to message #91490
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Friday May 31, 2019 12:05 PM
And a simple reminder, from June - August is when golf courses in the Palm Springs area aerate the greens. Sometimes multiple times. The best time to use those deals is typically early or late summer. Make sure to check here on GK for maintenance alerts before you go.

For example, since Marriott Shadow Ridge is being mentioned the most ... they are aerating the greens 6/17 - 6/20 and again 7/15 - 7/18. So you are going to get smooth greens only until 6/16 and then likely not until August.

In addition Greenskeeper.org does NOT do maintenance reporting for Private courses...

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Friday May 31, 2019 12:26 PM]]
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #91494 - This was a reply to message #91485
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Saturday June 1, 2019 12:36 PM
I'd been sitting on three $25 GolfMoose certs from GK events and they just launched a flash sale for Bali Hai in Vegas. $99 for one player round+replay, good until mid-August. I have a Vegas trip scheduled for early August, so I snagged one. Stoked to get to play there for $24 out of pocket!
 Message #91503 - This was a reply to message #91494

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]