Discussions in What d'you shoot (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, kviser, Paisano, thingstodo

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
What d'you shoot (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
What d'you shoot April-2021 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: What d'you shoot April-2021 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 13 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
JohnnyGK
What d'you shoot April-2021 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday April 1, 2021 8:59 AM
Love all the reviews being posted. Spring golf is awesome. Especially out in the Desert.

I've made over 500 calls to golf courses in March. About to get over the hump on alert calls next week. Health has improved. Excited to tee it up this month. Working on lining up GK Guru rounds and our GK Plays event schedule.

Thanks for your review posts and posts here.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #98409
SBogey
RE: What d'you shoot April-2021 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Sunday April 4, 2021 7:43 AM
My wife and I got out for the first time in months. It was beautiful day at Morongo. Had to play the Champions course as the Legends course was closed for maintenance. My game has been terrible since my knee replacements added an inch of height to me so I was mostly just hoping I could make some adjustments and start getting it back. Struggled mostly with my irons early on and the concrete bunkers cost me many shots but my putting was good. I had seen a tutorial on proper grip a few months back and according to that my left hand was too much on top of the club. About the 6th hole I decided to try and make the adjustment. (Figured it couldn't hurt at that point.) What a surprise! I immediately started getting added distance and making better contact. Still had a few miss hits but for the most part I was pleased. The pace was slow and we had talked about playing the front 9 again instead of waiting on every hole and at the 8th the cart girl made that suggestion to us so we did. Finished the front with my first par of the day. Second 9 started worse than the first time around but in the middle I was able to string together 3 pars in a row. Unfortunately it wasn't enough and the second 9 score was worse that the first. Shot 49-52 for my first score over 100 in years! Still I am optimistic that this year will be an improvement over last year.
As for their Covid protocol the pro shop is open for check in within an hour of your tee time or you can check in at the cart barn within 15 minutes of your time. They have a 2 person per cart policy and the restaurant is closed. Snack bar is open and there is a cart person on course. Signs said the range was closed but we were offered the option of purchasing a bucket and there were a couple of people on the range.
 Message #98433 - This was a reply to message #98409
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Sunday April 4, 2021 11:49 PM
Hope today's 85 at Rustic Canyon didn't shoot me out of the next GK Cup. I'll explain: After hitting my tee shot on the 9th and with the rest of my group still to hit, I ran over atop a little mound between the 7th and 8th greens to get a picture looking back on the 7th. Leaving that little hill, I stepped in a rodent hole and twisted my right ankle really bad, sending me tumbling to the ground. The right ankle is sore, but the real problem is I also injured my left knee in the process. Inquired about renting a cart for the back nine but it was too late. Decided to play at least 10-12 to see if I could continue. Ended up playing all 18 but the knee stiffened up on the long drive home and is now in terrible pain.

Think I'll take Masters week off from playing and reassess in 10 days or so. At this point just hoping I can get out of bed Monday morning.
 Message #98439 - This was a reply to message #98437
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Monday April 5, 2021 8:38 AM
This applies to almost every round I have played since COVID started.

How many did I shoot? Too many.

How much did I pay? Too much.

Really an eye opener moving between extremely different climates after being in another area exclusively for months. Specifically the effect of how far the golf ball travels and how much the body can handle. Radical adjustment on both after playing many straight rounds in almost exclusively 50-68 degree temperatures is quite the adjustment as I age.

Played 36 holes with GDR23 Wednesday in temps at least 20 degrees above what I was recently used to. History has shown that I will be fine once I acclimate and get used to much higher temps. We discussed stopping for lunch but played on after the first 18. Nothing available to eat/drink on the course, you had to provide anything you were consuming. And we both agreed we should have brought more to the course than we did. $10 worth of Gatorade and Snickers from a convenience store preround for the two of us barely lasted 18 holes.

I played the first 33 holes with no penalty strokes and made par or bogey on 31 of the first 33 holes. Nothing to write home about, but very consistent, not really that close to trouble. Could have just been the law of averages that I had not yet recorded my normal amount of crappy holes for the day? Or could have been fatigue, but after 0/33 I was 3/3 on penalty strokes on the last 3 holes in finishing triple, triple, triple.

My "normal" winter to summer handicap swing is about 3... much better summer golfer. Conditions more conductive to scoring plus my body definitely reacts better to what most would consider overly warm rather than what most would consider even a little cold. But a handicap swing of about 5 appears to be my new normal the last 2 winters... assuming I can get my near all-time career high handicap back down to what it was the middle of last summer again.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98440 - This was a reply to message #98439
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Monday April 5, 2021 10:32 AM
Finished off quite a week of golf this past Saturday at Rancho Park that included six rounds in basically nine days. Started the Friday before last out at Industry Hills playing the Ike, then Sun-Tues in Palm Desert playing Shadow Ridge, Desert Willow and Ironwood, followed by another Friday round at Strawberry Farms in Irvine, and finishing up at Rancho on Saturday. I'm wiped out! Unfortunately I played three very poor rounds (Industry, Desert Willow and Rancho Park), two decent (Shadow Ridge and Ironwood) and one good one - perhaps most shocking of all, at Strawberry Farms.

I was truly anticipating a survival round just to break 100, and it looked that way after a poor triple, double start. A three-putt on the first hole and a penalty off the tee on the second had me thinking it was going to be one of those days. But instead I birdied the par 3 3rd with a putt from the apron, then bombed a drive and approach on the toughest hole on the front for a nice par. A few woes on the 5th hole led to a double bogey, but on the par 5 6th hole I went 2i-2i to reach the green in two and made birdie again. Finished the rest of the front 2-over for a solid 43, but knew the much more difficult back nine was coming up.

Started off the back nine same as the front going double and triple this time, with a shorted tee shot on 10 that hit land but rolled back down into the lake, then had all sorts of trouble out of the bunker on the par 3 11th. Fearing the worst, got to the par 5 12th and miraculously chipped in for birdie from about 40 yards out, then made par on 13 to get back into a nice groove. Went 3-over the next four holes (with a par on the par 5 16th after hitting my tee shot into the hazard left), but finished with a tough double on 18 to post a 44 on the back and an 87 overall.

Having spent the entire week before this round in fear after having watched some vlogs on this course, I was thrilled to go sub-90 and enjoyed the round immensely. Now going to take a week or two off to regather my game and hopefully get some positive momentum ahead of GK Cup matches.

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Monday April 5, 2021 6:22 PM]]
 Message #98443 - This was a reply to message #98409
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Monday April 5, 2021 3:20 PM
Rob: That second hole tee shot at Strawberry kills me almost every time.

We need details on the par after an OB tee shot! Hole out from distance?
 Message #98446 - This was a reply to message #98443
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Monday April 5, 2021 6:21 PM
QUOTED  Rob: That second hole tee shot at Strawberry kills me almost every time.

We need details on the par after an OB tee shot! Hole out from distance?

It looks so much scarier than it actually is, but I think part of that is that most people see the flag for the 5th hole and think it's for that one! It's definitely not a driver hole (unless that's your most accurate club off the tee), but I hit a second 2i off the tee, landed center fairway and only had about 120 yards into the green from there. But yes, sightline off the tee for some reason makes it scary, but not as bad as the par 5 9th!

And sorry, it was not OB but lateral environmental hazard ... there's quite a lot of that out there. I hooked it left and into the hazard area, took my drop where it went out, laid up nicely to about 105 yards, then hit the approach to just off the green pin high about 12 ft from the hole, nailed the putt.

Not sure if I'll ever have a better round there so I may never go back! ;-p

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Monday April 12, 2021 8:33 AM]]
 Message #98447 - This was a reply to message #98446
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Tuesday April 6, 2021 10:33 AM
Fun round at Barona on Sunday. Ball striking was rather good with my irons and wedges. My driver is the main issue I shot an 87. For some reason I cant stay down on the ball when hitting driver even when I tell myself to do so. Putting was average but as anyone who has played there the last 8 months knows its 12-13 on the stimp.
 Message #98448 - This was a reply to message #98409
PokerGuy0826
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Freddy Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    TPC Sawgrass

Tuesday April 6, 2021 1:17 PM
Played Simi Hills on Saturday 4/3/21 with a noon tee time and started off 4 putting for a triple on #1. From there I never parred a hole on the front as I was constantly pushing every drive out to the left and finding myself in trouble on most holes. The back began with 5 bogeys when I finally discovered that I was standing farther away from the ball on the tee than normal. Drives began hitting fairways again and after a 3 putt bogey on #15, I parred the last 3 holes for a 93. The greens here are healing well but still slightly bumpy but all in all not a bad day.

Sunday we teed it up at Knollwood at 9:00am. Surprisingly POP was good, getting around in 4:10. In an attempt to replicate yesterdays round I triple bogeyed the first and then lost about 5 balls left off the tee and scrambling once again. There is absolutely no sand in the traps which made near misses to the greens a disaster and the greens were as fast as I remember at this track in a long time. If you were above the hole, you had your hands full to say the least. Ball striking is terribly inconsistent and has really gotten into my head. Walked off shooting 103 and feeling as though I had no idea where any shot may end up. Back to the range and hitting tons of balls, focusing on good contact and more consistent lines. Still a great weekend and looking forward to getting things back into shape as GK Cup matches approach.
 Message #98449 - This was a reply to message #98409
Judge_Smails

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Panther Run, G.C.

Wednesday April 7, 2021 5:49 AM
I played 18 yesterday and shot 39 on the front. I was well on my way to a sub 80 round but decided on the par 5 #13 that I would go against better judgement and try to fade the ball (I'm a recovering slice-a-holic). Normally I draw the ball or hit it relatively straight. And so, my ball faded a little too much and I ended up in a bad lie for my second shot. That shot of course, ended up in a fairway bunker. It took me two shots to get within 10 yards of the green. A double was a result and it seemed like the bogey bug had bitten.

I ended up with an 82 and learned a valuable lesson once again. And that is, if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. I was hitting my drives very well all morning though 12 holes. A mental error caused me not to break 80.

Live and learn I suppose!

Fairways and Greens,

Frank
 Message #98450 - This was a reply to message #98409

Listing 1 to 10 of 13 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]