Discussions in What d'you shoot (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, kviser, Paisano, thingstodo

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
What d'you shoot (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
What d'you shoot July-2021 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: What d'you shoot July-2021 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1
JohnnyGK
What d'you shoot July-2021 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday July 1, 2021 8:17 AM
The heat is on. Some fun Summer golf to be had. Hoping to get more golf in than the past few months. GK Plays Las Vegas - two rounds 7/10 & 7/11 will help. A few spots left for that. Looking forward to reading your posts as always. Thank You.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #99387
roarksown1
RE: What d'you shoot July-2021 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Thursday July 1, 2021 10:51 PM
Unfortunately there's no Minnesota section for GK course reviews so I'll use this post to talk about playing Olympic Hills today in Eden Prairie, just west of Minneapolis. Private gem that's tough as nails, but leaves no detail unchecked. Picture perfect fairways, fescue hazard areas that feel like it should always be pretty easy to find errant shots from but somehow they always still disappear, a vibrant marsh area with narrow fairways and an island-esque green mid-swamp, elevations and doglegs, and insanely fast but perfect greens with so many tricky and entertaining levels and slopes to them.

I had some good swings and a lot of good holes, but getting the speed down was tough on the front nine and had one big blowup hole on the back nine (a par 5 over a big section of marsh lake but bending away from you left), and finished well going 1-over the last three holes. For a 13 handicap playing the blue tees and trying to finesse big and fast greens from long approach shots, this is one of those courses that I don't expect to score great at, so when that actually happens, it's not as disappointing as it could be. It's now my third time playing Olympic Hills and today was my best-ever round, but that's not saying much with a 94 (adj 92).

That quad on hole 14 really cost me a shot at breaking 90, and of course a few of those three-putts, but I finished better than I started which is always nice, going 12-over on the front with a 48 and 10-over on the back for a 46. On such a tough course, having only two big numbers is a small, very small victory, but I will take it and know I can do even better the next chance I get out there.

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Friday July 2, 2021 5:52 PM]]
 Message #99395 - This was a reply to message #99387
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Circling Raven

Monday July 5, 2021 5:52 PM
Capped off a 10 day trip to Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming for the 4th. Got 6 rounds of golf in and had some very good rounds and a few mediocre rounds.

Rd. 1- Shadow Valley-Boise ID area- Got right off the plane and headed straight to Shadow Valley no warm up and 100° heat I was +1 through 4 then got run over by the double bogey train to shoot 44-46 for the round. Some bad tee shots were the main culprit.

Rd. 2- River birch- Boise ID area- Fun track that is flat and has some tree's around. Started with 4 straight bogeys due to some wayward approaches. Cleaned up my act with 3 pars for a 42 front. back nine I was once again +4 through 4 but ended up -1 through the remaining 5 for a 80 on a par 73!

Rd. 3 - Circling Raven- Coeur D'Alene ID- Finally had a proper warm up with a large range and a 80 yard pitching area. Tis helped my game quite a bit I had a couple wayward drives on the front nine but had good recovery and a birdie thrown in for a 39 on the front. back nine I caught fire 3 birdies and 2 bogeys for a -1 35 back nine and a personal best tying round of 74!

Rd 4- Wilderness Club- Eureka, Montana- Second round of the day after starting the morning at circling raven. Sadly the 4 hour drive and 1 hour hike to kootananie falls took away whatever was going for me at Circling raven that morning. Started with a bogey and double followed by a birdie only to get tanked by and 8 on hole 6 with 2 Lost balls. 46 on the front. Back nine started with a par then another 8 on 12! Once again caused by an OB tee shot into white stake. 18 added a little more sting with a 3 putt 7 from 10 feet to shoot 43 for an 89 (adj 87) Felt worse than the score actually showed.

Rd. 5- Oldworks- Anaconda, Montana- this was an unplanned round as we left Glacier national Park early due to a hiking trail being closed due to ear activity- RGM2525 recommended this course so we gave it a shot. Weather was 90° with tunderstorms coming in hot. Front nine was a little up and down with the driver being wonky at times. 45 on the front with two 7's. Back nine I cleaned it up with a birdie on 10 trip on 11 then 4 pars and 3 bogeys for a 40 and overall 85.

Rd. 6- Ridgecrest- Boise ID area- Walked on at 3pm on July 4th to an empty course. POP was 2 hours for my buddy and I. 3 bogeys and no birdies on the front for a 39, Everything was working good. back nine a little more roller coaster. Even par through the first 4 holes only to find Penalty issues and go +5 through the last 5 holes. One was a 260 yard par 4 that I attempted to drive but my drive for the first time all day decided to draw into the lake. Still shot an 80 so very happy about that.

This was an epic trip with 3 rounds being above average scoring rounds for me. 2 average rounds and one poor one after a long day of work and 2 hour flight.
 Message #99410 - This was a reply to message #99395
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday July 13, 2021 12:41 PM
Just came back from Pebble Beach. (Sorry I didn't buzz you Alex... it was a 24 person trip, so the itinerary was full).

Friday: 12:30 at Pebble. Felt really good. Was 1 under through 7.. birdied 3 and 7. Then doubled 8 and 9, where the sticky rough and my only 3 putt cost me par save opportunities. Overall shot 39-41

Stayed in Pacific Grove Fri nite, after dinner at the Gallery and drinks outside at the fire pits at Spanish Bay.

Sat: 12:30 at Spanish Bay. This round was more inconsistent, but I struck the ball well enough to shoot 81. This course is more exposed to the wind, so btwn that and the setting sun, it got a little chilly. I think I was 42-39 with no birdies.

We had a hosted reception afterwards at the Spanish Bay fire pits, watched the bagpiper... ate dinner at the pits... Stayed the next 2 nights at the Inn at Spanish Bay, which is a pleasant, high end stay. Placed was packed... I guess the pandemic is over.

Sun: 8:30 at Pebble. I could do no wrong on this day. I hit 3 bad shots all day: tee shot at 1 pull over the bunker, saved par out of the front right bunker. Tee shot at 3, pull hook that I found and was able to save bogey. Tee shot at 10 sliced into ocean... flew the green a tad from 220 out, misjudged the chip and ran off the front and 2 putt for double bogey. I reached 2 in 2 for birdie. I made wonderful saves and putts all day. I birdied 12 and 15. I was 2 over through 15, when my pretty good tee shot blocked a tad too much and went into the bunker. HIt a decent approached, but blocked a tad too much to go into the greenside bunker, and ended with a double. Hit the 17 green to 15 ft (Closest to hole), pin on the left... my only 3 putt of the day. Ended 37-40 for a 77... without a caddy! I was money all day on my reads, and even was perfect with my reads for my playing partners. I didn't misclub all day. #8, I hit 7 iron to a back pin to 12ft (missed). It was FUN.

Ate lunch at the Tap room, then went to the Hay... This is a 9 hole par 3 course above Pebble at the PRactice Center.. Tiger redesigned this course that has been there for decades and it just opened a month or so ago. It's a decent little track, most of the holes are 40-60 yds.. longest 100 uphill... bring 2 clubs at the most. If I were to play again, I'd make it a 1club challenge, longer than 7 iron. We played as an 8some in 45 minutes. It's not worth the $65 (we were able to play for free)... but if you make it a family thing, I can see that being fun. Especially because kids under 10 are free. They also have a putting course that looked like decent fun.

Dinner at Roys

monday 9:30 at Spyglass. Struggled a little, but still scored decently with a 42-39. Long birdie putt on 12, chip in for par on 8. 2 doubles.

Weather was great all weekend, highs of 65ish and sunny. Cool mornings. Beats the 110 it was home in Sacramento. What a weekend!
 Message #99450 - This was a reply to message #99410
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Tuesday July 13, 2021 12:57 PM
87 at Las Vegas Paiute Golf Resort followed by an 86 at Reflection Bay in the extreme heat ... I was happy. Index went from 10.5 to a 10.3. Will be playing without my driver in upcoming rounds until it gets fixed. Going to tee up my 2-iron and hit 5-woods and 3-hybrids for long approaches. Will be interesting how I do. Shot my 86 without my driver so that was encouraging.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #99453 - This was a reply to message #99387
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Circling Raven

Tuesday July 13, 2021 1:03 PM
Played like garbage this weekend in Vegas.

90 at Wolf Creek- some good holes some bad. 4 lost balls though

87 at Paiute- Should've shot around 80 but my putting was hot trash as I could not stop hammering putts way past the hole from over 5'

90 at Reflection Bay- More OB issues and Par 3 tee shot problems. Also the sun got to me on this day.

This weekend capped off a string of 9 rounds of golf at 97° or hotter over the past 2 weeks. I am ready for some ocean courses.
 Message #99454 - This was a reply to message #99450
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Sunday July 18, 2021 10:48 PM
I would estimate that I've played about 1000 rounds of golf since I started up with this crazy sport back in 2013, but only once had I ever broken 80 on a regulation course.

After Sunday's round at Los Amigos, I can finally say it's now happened twice. Strangely enough, it was the first time in a very long time that I walked AND carried my own bag, prepping ahead of a backpacking trip to Yosemite later this week. I've had a few close dances with sub-80 since I first did it in 2017, but I would always shoot myself in the foot with a bad hole or two sometime down the stretch, or even a costly one early that came back to haunt me.

But today I kept everything in front of me, swung freely and confidently, but also played smart and didn't compound any mistakes to the tune of a 39-39 front and back 78, shooting 11 pars and 7 bogeys for the round. I got a little in my own head as I got to the 16th tee box, knowing that the last three holes at Los Amigos are by far the toughest. But after a decent drive on 16, hit a great 6i pin high just off the green and putted it close for a tap-in par, then things got interesting on the par 3 17th when I thinned a 7i low over the lake and to the right of the green, but I chipped on nicely and just left the par putt short.

On 18, very nervous knowing what was at stake, I hit another poor tee shot low and right but it avoided the lake and landed short in the fairway. I reached for an 8i to lay up to around 100 yards, but hit a nervy pull near some trees left and by the lake. Luckily I had an opening and hit a good 56 just off the green, putted it close to the blue flag and sunk the 5-footer to make bogey and get out of the Terrible Triangle just 2-over to salvage the round.

Eighteen holes, not a single double bogey, and just 28 putts (no three-putts) made it a very good day for me. Even had a nice sandy par on the short 12th hole, and parred my nemesis 14th hole. Of course now I'm going to be taking a short break for my trip and recovery so hopefully can catch the fire again a little more quickly than the last time and not wait another four years before doing it again.

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Monday July 19, 2021 10:10 AM]]
 Message #99490 - This was a reply to message #99454
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods--- Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Monday July 19, 2021 9:33 AM
Awesome round Robert..way to go buddy.
Please check my websitegdrgolf instruction click here
 Message #99493 - This was a reply to message #99490
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Monday July 19, 2021 10:12 AM
QUOTED  Awesome round Robert..way to go buddy.

Thanks Gary! And just think what I could do if I ever learned how to hit a driver again! We may need to work on that when I get back ... but the 2i worked a charm all day.
 Message #99494 - This was a reply to message #99493

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]