RE: GK Cup 14 Match Results:
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday August 11, 2019 8:38 PM
Itslikeimsayin vs. 140ver took place today at Arrowood with a 1:28 starting time.
We played the Albatross/Ace Combo tees measuring 6,487 yards.
Mike’s 11.8 index equated to a 14 course handicap, while my 8.2 was a 10. I gave him four strokes on handicap holes 1-4. (He later suggested that what should have happened is that I get strokes on 10 holes, so he would get his strokes on handicap holes 11-14. How are most people playing this?)

Here’s the recap:

Hole 1: I won the tee flip and hit a decent 3 wood to the left-center of the fairway. Mike pull hooked his drive and although it did carry the junk, we never found it. He dropped a ball and ended up taking a triple, so my bogey won the hole. ILIS 1UP

Hole 2 (Stroke hole): My driver faded right and flirted with the penalty area, but was fine. Mike hit nearly a carbon copy of his drive from hole 1, which was eventually found in the tall grass. He took a drop, advanced his ball and then hit his next into a bunker, from which he left the next shot in the bunker en route to a 9. I missed the green with my approach but made bogey to win the hole. ILIS 2UP

Hole 3: My tee shot was a low squib into the front right greenside bunker. Mike hit a nice shot to the back right corner of the green. I hit a decent sand shot but still had about 15 feet for par. Mike cozied his birdie putt up to within a few inches of the hole and par was conceded. I missed my par putt. ILIS 1UP

Hole 4 (Stroke hole): Mike’s drive found the right rough and potential tree trouble. My 3 wood found the fairway. Mike’s second hit some trees and only advanced about 50 yards. I pulled my approach way left onto the hillside, from where I eventually took triple bogey. Mike played the rest of the hold solidly and easily won it. All Square

Hole 5: Mike hit a good drive right down the middle. I popped mine up a bit, but still wasn’t bad. I hit the green but was far from the pin with my approach. Mike stuck his approach to about 8 feet. I three putted while Mike made his birdie putt. Mike 1UP

Hole 6: Mike hit another pull hook drive into the left side tall junk, but found it. I hit a good drive that somehow avoided the front bunker and ended up just a few feet off the front edge of the green. Mike hit a miraculous shot from the junk to about 10 feet. I hit a mediocre chip to about 9 feet. We both holed our putts for birdie. (As did the guy who was playing with us; I don’t recall 3 birdies in one group in all my golf experiences!) Mike 1UP

Hole 7: Mike again pulled his drive left into trouble. Mine was up the right side but safe. Mike dropped and eventually took a double, while I made a routine par. All Square

Hole 8: I missed the green and left myself a tricky chip from above the hole. Mike’s tee ball found the green but was far from the hole. I chipped on and two putted. He three putted. All Square

Hole 9: I hit a terrible drive that barely carried the junk in front of the tee and barely reached the fairway. Mike hit a good drive. I hit my second into the right side penalty area, and dropped from there only to hit my next one into the left side penalty area. I conceded the hole and Mike made bogey. Mike 1UP

Hole 10: We both hit good drives. Mike’s draw approach landed on the green but spun across right-to-left into the left side greenside rough. My short approach flew the green and bounced further down the hill than Mike’s ball. I chipped on to about 15 feet. Mike chipped on to a little closer. I hit my first putt a couple feet past the hole, but Mike gave it to me. Mike two putted for bogey. Mike 1UP

Hole 11: We both missed the front pin on that left-side knob above the hole. Mike hit a beautiful chip to within a few inches and made par. I hit a mediocre chip but followed it with a good putt to halve the hole. Mike 1UP

Hole 12 (Stroke hole): We both hit good drives. Mike’s approach went to the back left corner of the green. Mine did too, but a little closer than Mike’s. Mike’s first putt was a little off line but good distance. Mine was on a good line but ran past the hole about 10 feet. I missed the comebacker, he made his. Mike 2UP

Hole 13: Mike’s hook drive returned and he didn’t find it. He took a two-stroke penalty and dropped to advance his fourth shot into the cactus garden. I hit a decent drive and then advanced a 6 iron up the middle of the fairway. Mike went on to triple while I made a routine par. Mike 1UP

Hole 14: I hit my drive into the left trees but got lucky and ended up in the 13th fairway with a clear look at the green. Mike hit a good drive down the left side of the fairway. Mike messed up his next shot, a little squib (sh- word) to the right. I missed the green left with my approach. Mike hit a good third shot. I hit a bad chip over the green, followed by a good chip to within a couple feet. Mike lagged his par putt close, and both bogey putts were conceded. Mike 1UP

Hole 15: Our tee shots ended up within a couple feet of each other in the right-side bunker. I left my first shot in the bunker. Mike sculled his over the green. I hit my next one to about 12 feet. Mike chipped on to about 9 feet. I made my bogey putt. Mike missed his bogey putt. All Square

Hole 16 (Stroke hole): We both hit good drives. Mike hit a beautiful approach from about 200 yards that finished on the back left fringe. I overcut a 5-iron into the right side water. i went on to make 8 while Mike made bogey. Mike 1UP

Hole 17: Again, we both hit good drives. My approach was pulled a little but I couldn’t see where it finished. Mike’s approach found the right side bunker, which ended up in a divot in the deepest part of the bunker. My approach was actually within about 20 feet of the pin. Mike blasted out of the bunker and three putted from there. I two putted for par. All Square

Hole 18: I popped up my 3-wood tee shot, leaving nearly 200 yards in. Mike hit a good drive to the right side of the fairway. My 4-iron approach never got more than 8 feet off the ground and narrowly carried the lake, and quickly stopped in the rough between the lake and the green. Mike’s approach faded a bit and was hard to see. I wasn’t sure if it hit the rocks and went in the water or found the bunker. When we got up to the green, it wasn’t in the bunker and was nowhere to be found, so Mike conceded the hole. I chipped up and made my par putt.

Final Result:
Itslikeimsayin defeats 140ver 1-Up

I don’t think either of us played our best, but it was definitely a fun, back-and-forth match! Thanks for the good time, Mike!
 Message #92190 - This was a reply to message #92092
Sr714
Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Sunday August 11, 2019 9:57 PM
Battled it out with Rat Patrol today at CrossCreek to kick off round 2. We played the blue tees with Jim giving 6 strokes, and looking to keep up his momentum after a hot round last week.

Neither one of us was strong off the first tee, but I made a 25 footer for a sandy par to go 1up. The lead grew to a max of 4 holes before some shaky play be and some nice pars from Jim brought it back down to 1 early on the back nine.

Fortunately, the pit crew was able to get my wheels back on, and a strong 4 iron put me pin high from 200 yard out. Jim’s par birdie putt slid past the hole, and we pushed for par. That was all I needed to close him out.

Sr714 defeated Rat Patrol 3 and 2...

Thanks Jim, I enjoyed nice round with you today!
 Message #92192 - This was a reply to message #92190
uscdodger32

Favorite Golfer:
    Keegan Bradley, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Old Brockway

Tuesday August 20, 2019 9:36 PM
Apologies for the late update, as work and a new job have gotten in the way a bit, but MrKich (Matt) and uscdodger32 (Daniel) played their 2nd round match on 8/6 at Soule Park. Matt was giving me 7 shots from the Orange tees.

The stroke I got on the opening hole wasn't needed as my par gave me an early 1-up lead. However, Matt played the next 4 holes in -1, to give him a 2-up lead through 5. We both struggled on 6 and 7, but the strokes I got were my saving grace and left us all square through 7. Some trouble off the tee on 8 and 9 gave Matt some problems, and after back to back pars on 8 and 9, I found myself 2-up at the turn.

10-12 were nothing to right home about for either of us, as Matt got a stroke back on 11 after I 3-putted for double. My best shot of the day, an 8-iron to 5 feet on 13, won me that hole outright, and we traded bogeys on 14 ( an impressive bogey for Matt after his tee shot clipped a branch and left him stymied behind a tree), but my stroke there gave me the hole and a 3-up lead through 14 with 4 holes to play. My drive on 15 left me just off the fairway on the right, but the large overhanging tree and daunting carry forced me to play short and left of the green. Matt was in great position on the left side of the fairway, but an absolutely blasted 8 iron (that thing must have gone 200+ yards!), left Matt in jail down the hill to the right of the green. While neither of us could get up and down with the challenging green complex and a front pin, my bogey and the stroke gave me the hole and the match 4-and-3. Thankfully, I was able to wrap it up before Matt found himself a few yards short of the 18th green in 2 for a ho-hum birdie.

My solid yet unspectacular 87 kept me in most holes and Matt had a few more miscues than usual. Lucky for me, our afternoon round at Ojai Valley Inn was just for fun as my 89 was no match for his 80.
 Message #92251 - This was a reply to message #91664
colby022002

Favorite Golfer:
    Jordan Spieth
Favorite Golf Course:
    Sand Hollow -Championship

Thursday August 22, 2019 12:56 PM
Johnny, How do I enter or get involved in these match play golf events?
 Message #92261 - This was a reply to message #91664
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Maderas Olivas

Thursday August 22, 2019 1:20 PM
You just sign up on the next entry cycle, which usually is well announced and lasts for over a month.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #92262 - This was a reply to message #92261
golferic420

Favorite Golfer:
    Lefty
Favorite Golf Course:
    Las Vegas Paiute

Sunday August 25, 2019 3:23 PM
Extremely sorry for taking so long to complete our Round 1 match.
Played 8/25 at roughly 8:30am, at Skylinks.
We played even from the Blues, as our handicaps were 15.3 vs 15.4

Golferic420 defeats mcantos 3&2

It was a pretty tight match all the way to #16 (par 3 in the corner). Neither of us were ahead by more than 2UP for a hole. Marvin had a lot of nice up and down saves (some for par, others for bogey) to keep him in the match. I was 2UP going into 16. I hit it on the front of the green, and Marvin’s ball in the lake sealed up the match.

Thanks Marvin for a good match.

[[Edited by golferic420 on Sunday August 25, 2019 3:26 PM]]

[[Edited by golferic420 on Friday August 30, 2019 12:57 PM]]
 Message #92275 - This was a reply to message #91664
mcantos

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Poppy Hills

Sunday August 25, 2019 5:57 PM
Thank you Eric, it was a good match and it was nice to meet you...
 Message #92276 - This was a reply to message #92275
Alex326
GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Tuesday September 17, 2019 4:08 PM
Eli1488 defeats DeepSea14 3&2 at a match played today at San Juan Oaks. Details to follow.
 Message #92417 - This was a reply to message #92276
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Thursday September 19, 2019 1:41 PM
DCon & I just booked 11:00 at Mt. Woodson on Saturday, 9/28.

Still two spots left on TeeOff.com if anyone wants to join us. (Promo code FULLCREW makes it just $40.50 pp, but expires today.)
 Message #92446 - This was a reply to message #92417
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Thursday September 19, 2019 2:16 PM
I'd like to really thank Jim (rat-patrol) for hanging that moniker on me that seems to be spreading GK-wide. Great!

That's what I get for not coming up with my own catchy screen name! I just settled for the basic.

LOL
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #92450 - This was a reply to message #92446

Listing 31 to 40 of 80 Replies

PAGES: 8 2 3 4 5 6

[ Community Page ]