The GK Cup moving forward
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: The GK Cup moving forward

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 20 of 40 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4
Nickesquire
RE: The GK Cup moving forward
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday December 4, 2019 5:35 PM
QUOTED  I feel all good ideas should be welcome.

Trolls usually just express negative opinions of others ideas. They talk a good game but never back it up with any action.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #92858 - This was a reply to message #92856
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Wednesday December 4, 2019 5:40 PM
It's tough getting enough willing participants to have a full field of 32 (or even 24 ?), and may be a bit overly ambitious. Maybe 16, who truly want to enjoy the process, would be better?

[[Edited by Rat-Patrol on Wednesday December 4, 2019 5:42 PM]]
 Message #92859 - This was a reply to message #92858
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Wednesday December 4, 2019 5:54 PM
QUOTED  Maybe 16, who truly want to enjoy the process, would be better?

Could not agree more Jim. The problem is how do we determine which 16 make up the group "who truly want to enjoy the process"?

Previously we have let in anyone eligible. Do I, John or a committee pick our best guess 16 out of the 24 who signed up?

That may enable us to weed out previous flakes by just keeping them out of the field. However, it would make it tough for new people to ever earn their stripes. How do you judge 4-5 people who have never played before and have no track record?

There are at least 8 people who regularly play that I have no doubt before the GK Cup starts that their matches will be played on schedule. After that, it gets alot more cloudy.

Some have suggested an entry fee, that John has always been strenuously opposed to that.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #92860 - This was a reply to message #92859
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Wednesday December 4, 2019 5:58 PM
A very novel idea! My initial reaction was in line with Matt's comment about favoring those who are able to play anytime/all the time, but 3 months should be sufficient to play 8 matches for most serious GKers.

I say try it in GK Cup 15 and reassess for 16 once it reaches the late stages.
 Message #92861 - This was a reply to message #92860
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Wednesday December 4, 2019 6:24 PM
QUOTED  A very novel idea! My initial reaction was in line with Matt's comment about favoring those who are able to play anytime/all the time, but 3 months should be sufficient to play 8 matches for most serious GKers.

I say try it in GK Cup 15 and reassess for 16 once it reaches the late stages.

I suspect it will be tougher to get in that amount of matches than people think. It takes 2 to tango, and lining up that many different opponents may be challenging. Just because some could play almost any day does not mean a steady stream of opponents can/will be available to play them.

I have (obviously, based on the amount of posts here) put alot of thought into John's idea today. Whatever the drawbacks, it closes the door on the most frequent complaints of the current GK Cup system... people not playing or playing late. If we put our heads together and came up with detailed guidelines meant to close potential loopholes that could be exploited, his concept seems very feasible.

What playing in and organizing more than half a dozen GK Cups have shown me is that too many people want someone else to do everything for them. To be blunt, we really don't need that type mentality. The proposed system would require/reward those that get matches scheduled/played and allow those that want to play to not be held hostage by those that don't/won't play their matches.
 Message #92864 - This was a reply to message #92861
sbarajasjr
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass & Pasatiempo

Wednesday December 4, 2019 8:25 PM
QUOTED  John and I have discussed the concept of a no bracket GK Cup.

The concept we discussed is have people sign up as "eligible opponents". You could play any opponent on the list of those eligible. Everyone could schedule a maximum of 8 matches v. whoever they chose. Sorry, no playing the same opponent every match, would have to be spread around. You could play as many matches as YOU choose to play up to 8 matches maximum.

GK Cup forum write up of the match particulars required for the match to count.

Score it Ryder Cup style. You win a match, you get 1 point. Limit matches to exactly 18 holes, and any match AS after 18 and both players get 1/2 point. Loser get 0 points.

After a predetermined set amount of time that would not be changed (say 3 months from the start), that part of the tournament ends. The 4 players with the highest point total advance to the semi finals, with the winners squaring off in the finals.

Thoughts?

I welcome a change that is in the greater interest of moving things along and rewarding, as you have mentioned, the A group of players. I have thoroughly enjoyed every match I have participated in (sans one incident VERY early on) and for the most part have played against people willing to try and schedule ASAP and in a neutral site, however I know (both secondhand and via the forum) that this isn't always the case.

Thank you to you Nick for your dedication in both making sure things run with rules and without problems, and thank YOU Johnny for the opportunity to even have such an event. I will be in for the no format no doubt about it!
 Message #92868 - This was a reply to message #92839
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Wednesday December 4, 2019 8:38 PM
I very much understand Nick's frustration with dealing with the logistics and personalities of the match play, having been in his position for the first few GK Cups when we first got this thing started.

The early Cups were simpler, I guess, because we took inspiration from the excitement generated by the recent Ryder Cup and PGA Match Play formats, and those that signed up were interested in trying out the match play (rather than stroke play) formats. They were committed to the experiment and motivated to keep the bracket moving and a champion crowned.

I myself am a proponent of structure such as a defined bracket, but I certainly understand that the format can experiment and evolve. Taking 5+ months and counting to get to a conclusion, as in the current Cup play, bleeds enthusiasm for the whole endeavor.

The bottom line is that those signing up to play in the format must take responsibility for making it a success.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #92869 - This was a reply to message #92868
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Wednesday December 4, 2019 10:00 PM
I like the idea of the points system to avoid the one and done aspect. 8 matches may be a lot to ask of some people. If it's a 3-4 month competition then maybe limit it to 4-6 matches. That gives those who work an opportunity to reach the maximum number of matches. Those who like to travel can maximize their matches and those who just want to play one or two can do so as well without holding up the cup.

[[Edited by Alex326 on Wednesday December 4, 2019 10:14 PM]]
 Message #92870 - This was a reply to message #92869
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Thursday December 5, 2019 5:59 AM
QUOTED  I like the idea of the points system to avoid the one and done aspect. 8 matches may be a lot to ask of some people. If it's a 3-4 month competition then maybe limit it to 4-6 matches. That gives those who work an opportunity to reach the maximum number of matches. Those who like to travel can maximize their matches and those who just want to play one or two can do so as well without holding up the cup.

Slept on it last night. Yeah, I was just thinking that. Max 6 matches over a 4 month period seems like a fair time frame. 8 maybe too much.

Here's another thing I like about a point total qualification in order to compete in the match play finals day is we can keep the first month open for new participants to join. Sure they are at a disadvantage with less time to get in 6 max matches but then again if they are very motivated to play the matches they still have time to knock out all 6.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #92871 - This was a reply to message #92870
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Thursday December 5, 2019 7:12 AM
QUOTED  The bottom line is that those signing up to play in the format must take responsibility for making it a success.

Well said David, this is OUR competition, Nick organizes things but it is up to the individuals to make it all happen. The GK Cup is what we, those that play in it, make it. I've had nothing but fun playing in it, meeting new people, playing new courses, traveling to areas not on my usual radar, winning/losing it doesn't matter . . . but it is nice to watch those you have competed with move on, or not, in a timely fashion. Match play is the purest form of golf competition. This is supposed to be fun!

P.S. I do miss the time when we had pods/group play, where you played at least matches.
 Message #92872 - This was a reply to message #92869

Listing 11 to 20 of 40 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4

[ Community Page ]