The GK Cup moving forward
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: The GK Cup moving forward

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 21 to 30 of 40 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4
Nickesquire
RE: The GK Cup moving forward
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday December 5, 2019 7:35 AM
QUOTED  The bottom line is that those signing up to play in the format must take responsibility for making it a success.

Well said and I think all that truly WANT to play agree Dave. But the reality is that we have had "friends of friends" involved with so little committment they do not even sign themselves up or post their own results. That is for someone else to do, they cannot be bothered. They just show up (maybe) and play a match.

QUOTED  P.S. I do miss the time when we had pods/group play, where you played at least matches.

That worked when you had 4 reliable people in a POD Jim.

Unfortunately, numerous POD's never completed round robin play. So people advanced on forfeits and others were deprived of playing matches because some assigned to their POD wouldn't/couldn't play in a timely fashion. Which will ALWAYS be the case if you are expecting every single person in the field to play their matches in a timely manner.

I also remember well the ridiculousness of numerous people waiting until the last day to sign up and and putting themselves in the region that they perceived offered the easiest path to the semi finals in the old N/S/E/W format. So to answer a thought Matt P. had earlier, it is definitely not beneath some to try and cherry pick their opponents if allowed to do so.

The main flaw in the POD AND bracket system is that it will always be held hostage by the weakest links in the chain. Then, you either have unnecessary delays, people advancing unfairly on forfeits or people irritated that they were forfeited. Letting people schedule on their own a maximum number of matches removes that challenge from the equation. "A" can't/won't play, no problem, call and schedule with "B", or "C", or "D". We should be able to find enough like minded opponents willing to play to allow everyone ample matches.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Thursday December 5, 2019 7:58 AM]]
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #92874 - This was a reply to message #92872
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Thursday December 5, 2019 7:53 AM
QUOTED  Slept on it last night. Yeah, I was just thinking that. Max 6 matches over a 4 month period seems like a fair time frame. 8 maybe too much.

Here's another thing I like about a point total qualification in order to compete in the match play finals day is we can keep the first month open for new participants to join. Sure they are at a disadvantage with less time to get in 6 max matches but then again if they are very motivated to play the matches they still have time to knock out all 6.

If we go down to 6 matches, much greater possibility of ties on total points the less matches that are played. We would need a tie breaking system like the NFL playoffs to determine which two of five people with 4/6 points advance.

Rather than having a set amount of two advance straight to the finals out of the create your own match stage, maybe there would need to be an intermediate stage to whittle down 5-6 qualifiers to a final 2? Much like round 4 has been in Match Play 13/14? Would also close the loophole potential that Matt P. brought up, people feeling like some were cherry picking their opponents.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Thursday December 5, 2019 8:02 AM]]
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #92875 - This was a reply to message #92871
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Thursday December 5, 2019 8:36 AM
I like the idea of 6 matches and top four get into a playoff.

You can do what ever you need to determine who plays who in the final 4. That makes it a little easier. I think 6 rounds in 3 months is fine for most that are serious . Say we start May 1st that gives you till july 31st and then we can have the semis in august and possibly the finals in Aug or September.

Also one to mention is if the GK Team Cup will return again. I liked the team aspect of those matches a lot but we would have to run the cups at the same time. You could however get three matches done for the gk singles cup if you played a 4 person match and just count you score against everyone. (This might piss people off but I dont care)
 Message #92876 - This was a reply to message #92875
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Thursday December 5, 2019 8:36 AM
QUOTED  Rather than having a set amount of two advance straight to the finals out of the create your own match stage, maybe there would need to be an intermediate stage to whittle down 5-6 qualifiers to a final 2? Much like round 4 has been in Match Play 13/14? Would also close the loophole potential that Matt P. brought up, people feeling like some were cherry picking their opponents.

This would open the door to a potential scheduling/delay issue between two opponents IMO. Something we have to avoid moving forward. Set a date all points will be totaled for final rankings then schedule the GK Cup Final within 2-3 weeks of that date. If players know they will not be available for the projected time frame the GK Cup Finals Day will happen then they should not signup to play.

6 matches with 6 different opponents eliminate the cherry picking risk in my mind.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #92877 - This was a reply to message #92875
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Thursday December 5, 2019 9:16 AM
QUOTED  Rather than having a set amount of two advance straight to the finals out of the create your own match stage, maybe there would need to be an intermediate stage to whittle down 5-6 qualifiers to a final 2? Much like round 4 has been in Match Play 13/14? Would also close the loophole potential that Matt P. brought up, people feeling like some were cherry picking their opponents.

This would open the door to a potential scheduling/delay issue between two opponents IMO.

No scheduling delay. Everyone plays same course, same day like you set up round 4 now. Either they play or they don't. Those that play with the best scores move on.
 Message #92879 - This was a reply to message #92877
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Thursday December 5, 2019 9:30 AM
QUOTED  No scheduling delay. Everyone plays same course, same day like you set up round 4 now. Either they play or they don't. Those that play with the best scores move on.

With a day/time/course have to be arranged for all 4 to play together ... I see some potential delays with that. Added complications if they live of considerable distance of each other. Plus they are playing stoke play instead of match play. The only reason we have the stroke play semifinal is because the brackets created 3 semifinalist and its the most fair way to drill it down to two players. I think GK Cup should be a pure match play competition when possible.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #92880 - This was a reply to message #92879
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Thursday December 5, 2019 11:39 AM
I'll do whatever. I love match play. Count me in if we keep it the same, count me in if we change it. Good to go.
 Message #92881 - This was a reply to message #92880
rob1563

Southern Nevada Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Thursday December 5, 2019 1:03 PM
I'm liking the change. This may actually open the GK Cup to MORE participants. I always want to play in it, and did during GK Cup 2, but committing to traveling to SoCal for 1 random round is difficult. Under this, I feel I could easily get in 3-4 matches in Vegas between local GKers and those traveling GKers. Throw in a trip to SoCal and I feel I could get in all 6.
 Message #92883 - This was a reply to message #92881
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Thursday December 5, 2019 8:05 PM
QUOTED  I like the idea of 6 matches and top four get into a playoff.

Got my vote

QUOTED  and those traveling GKers

I klnow Matt and I are willing to travel to Vegas for a couple of rounds.
 Message #92886 - This was a reply to message #92876
NutNButCup
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Greg Norman
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Valley

Thursday December 5, 2019 8:46 PM
I very much enjoy match play. Under this format with a set in stone time frame I would seriously consider playing. One of the reasons I have not played in the past is because I did not feel I could commit to an undetermined end and did not want to start something I might not finish. I like the idea of a 6 match max over three or four months.

Just a thought:
I played in a match play league for four seasons several years back that had a point system a I thought worked well.
An 18 hole match is worth 3 points. The front nine is worth a point. The back nine is worth a point. The hole 18 is worth a point. In all 3 cases one player wins the point or a tie yields 1/2 a point for each player. Possible point outcomes: 3-0, 2.5-.5, 2-1, and 1.5-1.5.

I agree with Nick that a 1 point match over six matches could yield several people having the same point total in the end. This point system could at least lessen the tie possibility. The other reason I like the point format is if I have a bad start or my opponent has a hot start and I loose the front 4 down I can still look forward to the possibility of winning 1/2 or 1 point on the back nine. If I did win the back nine 2 up my opponent would win the 18 holes 2 up. The match in this instance would be 1-2 in my opponents favor. Regardless of the point system used I like the format idea.
 Message #92887 - This was a reply to message #92883

Listing 21 to 30 of 40 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4

[ Community Page ]