Discussions in GK Cup Match Play
Moderated By JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
GK Cup Match Play
GK Cup 15: How to be eligible to play in matches?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: GK Cup 15: How to be eligible to play in matches?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 24 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
Nickesquire
GK Cup 15: How to be eligible to play in matches?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Maderas Olivas

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday January 21, 2020 12:17 PM
GK Cup 15 matches will begin "pool play" on February 1, 2020. Pool play (maximum of 6 matches per participant) will end on May 31, 2020, with the top 4 point totals advancing to the semi finals. June is semi final month with July set for the finals. That is 4 months for pool play and 6 months for the overall GK Cup, and the deadlines are intended to be firmly enforced.

You need a GK Scoretracker index with a minimum of 10 rounds played from 1/1/19 to present to calculate your GK Cup index. If you have a current GHIN index you can simply post those scores into the GK Scoretracker using the option Post Scores (Scorecard). Other handicaping methods will no longer be accepted. If no GK Scoretracker, you would be playing as a 0 index.

This is the GK Cup, and the GK Scoretracker will be utilized to calculate stroke differentials for the matches.

See the GK Cup 15 Rules of the competition guidelines for more info.

GK Cup 15 Sign-Up Instructions:

Please send the following to be added to the eligibile list of opponents. And keep in mind that you MUST have a current GK Scoretracker index to participate.

Please message GK username: Nickesquire or Nickesquire1.
- When you are logged in you will see a message envelope in the top right corner of the screen.
- If you are having trouble messaging Nickesquire, then please e-mail: Golf@Greenskeeper.org.

We need the following information from you:
• Your GK username
• Your Last Name
• Your First Name
• Your Contact # (cellphone)
• Your E-mail Contact (personal E-mail)
• What city do you play out of?
• GK Scoretracker, what is your current index?

The GK Cup Match Play "footprint" was traditionally Southern California. This has gradually expanded. Participants from California, Arizona and Nevada are eligible to play in GK Cup 15. Areas where GK has solid relationships with many different golf courses is John's criteria for expanding the potential participation area.

Please remember that the GK Cup has frequently had competitors that live far apart playing in later rounds. In committing to play in GK Cup 15, remember that should you advance to the semi finals, greater travel may be required to play your scheduled opponent. Therefore, accommodating both parties may be impossible.

Sign up Deadline for new participants in GK CUP 15 is Saturday, February 29, 2020. If you are not signed up by that date and on the list of eligible opponents, you are ineligible to particpate in GK Cup 15.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Monday March 2, 2020 8:40 PM]]
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #93248
JohnnyGK
RE: GK Cup 15: How to be eligible to play in matches?

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Tuesday January 21, 2020 12:57 PM
BTW - we did NOT skip GK Cup Team Play for 2020. It will likely begin in June once "pool play" for the GK Cup 15 is completed. Also it will give us chance to see how this new GK Cup format is received by participants before making a decision to also apply it to GK Cup Team Play.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #93249 - This was a reply to message #93248
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Tuesday January 21, 2020 2:51 PM
My hand is up teach.
 Message #93252 - This was a reply to message #93249
Mrkich

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Tuesday January 21, 2020 3:00 PM
Why eliminate other legitimate handicapping options? USGA is fairly reputable for such purposes
 Message #93253 - This was a reply to message #93248
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Tuesday January 21, 2020 3:25 PM
QUOTED  Why eliminate other legitimate handicapping options? USGA is fairly reputable for such purposes

Its not eliminated. I don't see it mentioned but you can back date post your USGA scores into the GK Scoretracker but you need to use the Post Scores (Scorecard) option. I will update the original post now. The reason being is because of the change to the GHIN index now only counting 8 of your best 20 scores instead of 10. Although a GK Scoretracker index was not identical to an GHIN index the numbers used to come out close enough where we would make an exception and use a GHIN index as well. Now its highly likely your GHIN index will always be lower than a GK Scoretracker index so we need to solely use the GK Scoretracker index to keep the playing field level. Posting a score on the GK Scoretracker without posting your hole-by-hole stats is very easy and takes very little time.

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Tuesday January 21, 2020 3:35 PM]]
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #93254 - This was a reply to message #93253
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Tuesday January 21, 2020 3:29 PM
Cant wait
 Message #93255 - This was a reply to message #93254
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Tuesday January 21, 2020 3:34 PM
So Matt, we can play our first match together on Feb 1 at BHCC?
 Message #93256 - This was a reply to message #93255
Mrkich

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Tuesday January 21, 2020 3:38 PM
Will there be a change to the score tracker at some point to reflect the change made to the new system?
 Message #93257 - This was a reply to message #93254
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Tuesday January 21, 2020 4:43 PM
QUOTED  Will there be a change to the score tracker at some point to reflect the change made to the new system?

There is no reason to because the average index of a golfer's top 50% of their scores is theoretically the most accurate way to project how a golfer will score when they are playing well. We have good rounds and bad rounds. Some people play better in competition and others don't. I think there are going to be a lot of unhappy higher index golfers complaining when they happen to catch lightning in a bottle and their index goes way down due to that score being factored against 7 other scores instead of 9.... IMO.

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Tuesday January 21, 2020 4:45 PM]]
 Message #93258 - This was a reply to message #93257
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Tuesday January 21, 2020 7:20 PM
One question I have - with GHIN, we adjust scores based on the old ESC or now the double bogey rule ... do people also do that within Scoretracker? I know that I do not. My GK Scoretracker scores are always exactly what I shot - warts and all, while I make the required adjustments for GHIN. I think this needs to be uniform or we won't be getting proper handicap holes before matches. Thoughts?
 Message #93261 - This was a reply to message #93258

Listing 1 to 10 of 24 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]