GK Cup 15: Rules of competition guidelines
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: GK Cup 15: Rules of competition guidelines

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 20 of 20 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
Nickesquire
RE: GK Cup 15: Rules of competition guidelines
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday February 6, 2020 8:10 AM
QUOTED  Maybe the reporting would be more accurate if goal (holes won) differential mattered?

Zero chance of that happening Jim. ZERO. Lucky to consistently get a write up from some. How many players participating in multiple the GK Cups have NEVER written a write up? What happens when 2 people play, and neither one wants to write it up? Plus, nearly every Cup, we get at least one report where the scorecard did not make the trip from the golf cart to in front of the computer. Then we get this for a write up. It was fun, we played at "X" course and "Y" won the match with practically no hole by hole reporting because I do not remember the particulars. They remember a great iron or putt that won #7 but no one has any idea who won multiple holes, just the overall result.

QUOTED  First in seems quite arbitrary, just saying.

It IS quite arbitrary, as are ALL tie breakers. Announcing it before any match is played provides all with the same opportunity.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #93450 - This was a reply to message #93448
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Thursday February 6, 2020 8:20 AM
Sorry, when playing a match I don't have it in me to take notes. Does anyone really read those long, boring, hole by hole "he hit it the penalty area but made a great bogey!" write ups? Just give me a run down of how the match went . . . "I made putts, he didn't" kinda thing! LOL!

[[Edited by Rat-Patrol on Thursday February 6, 2020 8:20 AM]]
 Message #93452 - This was a reply to message #93450
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Thursday February 6, 2020 1:37 PM
QUOTED  Sorry, when playing a match I don't have it in me to take notes. Does anyone really read those long, boring, hole by hole "he hit it the penalty area but made a great bogey!" write ups? Just give me a run down of how the match went . . . "I made putts, he didn't" kinda thing! LOL!

I could not tell you what I had for lunch yesterday... but I could tell you the iron I hit into every par 3 with no wind on my old home course in N.C. that I have only played a couple of times since the 1970's.

Other than really good shots, I remember little about my opponents round in a GK Cup match unless I have the scorecard in front of me as a reminder. But scorecard or not, I could tell you I hit the fairway and had 183 to the pin with a 6 iron on the first hole and what I hit on every other hole of my own round. At least until that is overwritten by my next round, then only specific shots will still stand out.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #93464 - This was a reply to message #93452
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Saturday February 15, 2020 11:01 AM
Nick I am liking your ingenuity here. pure genius. Makes it simple to find players instead of coordinating with a single individual player. Got me thinking now how I can manage to get my mojo on and play again. LOL
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #93588 - This was a reply to message #93464
t8fish
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Saturday February 15, 2020 11:49 AM
While Nick was nice enough to write the review for our match, customarily it falls to the winner to do the summary — customarily, not a hard rule. So it's up to the players to agree on who's doing it. In Nick's case, he was happy to take on the responsibility for the report early in the match, so we had that resolved pretty much from the beginning.

I actually enjoy reading the in-depth reports but find it difficult to keep track of opponent's shots and overall detail during a match — a major distraction from how I usually focus and a little stressful because i want to write the kind of report I'd like to read. But, between deliberating over your shot and having the scorecard record, most people are pretty good at recreating their own round.

That said, this is what I have done in the past that others might find helpful. Agree that both players will write up a shot-by-shot of their own round with any comments they want add. After the match, the non-writer pastes his into an email and sends it over to the writer. At that point it is pretty easy to cut and paste the reports together with a lot of detail and a little bit of cleanup.

Makes it much simpler on the course and keeps your head space closer to your normal game and greatly speeds up and simplifies writing the full report.
 Message #93589 - This was a reply to message #93588
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Saturday February 15, 2020 12:34 PM
Forgot to mention, "Don't worry about IT". Perfect example of having a good time and creating a memory in a GK Cup match.

Robert and I were initially matched up with a Sr. husband/wife for about 3 minutes on the first tee. 2 more guys came up, so the starter decided to let the Sr. husband and wife play ahead as a 2some while the new 2some joined us to make a new 4some. Starter explained that the husband/wife played fast and would not be in our way. Okay, seems logical.

Robert and I were having a very even and good match yesterday. 5 halves with only 2 holes won by each party on the front. Nice to halve holes with both parties in the fairway and on the green putting for birdie and making fairly routine pars in many cases. Plenty of time to smell the roses because we waited on the 2some in front of us on numerous shots during the front 9.

Hole 10, I pull my drive just left of the fairway over a knoll onto #11 tee box. Or so it appeared. When we rolled over the knoll and my bright yellow ball was no where in sight, I told Robert "bet you it's in the guys pocket". Senior husband and wife beat us to the tee by maybe 30 seconds. They see us looking all over, no bright yellow ball with no place it could have gone. No hazards, not even any plants for it to hide behind, just grass about 1" tall. So I told Robert before I am taking penalty strokes for a "lost" ball, let's ask them if they saw it. I asked if they saw a yellow ball. Husband immediately said no. Wife then said yes, the ball you put in the cart to the husband. He sheepishly goes over and pulls my ball out of his ball holder in his cart. Starts debating me that this ball wasn't yellow, it's actually green. I should have asked about a green ball. Everyone else, including his wife agreed that the ball in ? was yellow. I had two matching yellow Bridgestones in my pocket. Start the round with 3 balls, same brand with numbers 1,2 and 3 on them. In case one is lost or a provisional is needed, next number is up. Bridgestone yellow 2/3 were in my pocket, must have been a coinsidence that I hit yellow Bridgestone 1 on his tee box and it miraculously ended up in his cart? Anyway, kudos to his wife for ratting him out!

Next hole is parallel coming back in the other direction. There are multiple balls in the middle of the fairway. Sr. husband, the prospective ball theif goes up and quickly plays one of the balls toward his hole. They start to leave, we have the correct amount of balls left but only one problem. One of the balls does not belong to our group? The guy played one of our groups balls and it was now 175 yards or so going in the wrong direction. Few minutes later, balls retreived, shots replayed, everyone happy. Or not.

Group behind us has a very angry little old senior dude who jumps out of his cart shouting at our group about slow play on the next tee box. I didn't even have the opportunity to say a word, because all my playing partners quickly and loudly explained the transgressions of the group in front of us through what was then 11 holes. You could hear the angry little old senior dude making comments from 200 yards away the next few holes. On hole 17, I think our group had 3 routine pars and a tap in bogey and the angry little old senior dude flew by with comments as he drove up near the green all the way to 18 tee. At least 50 yards past where the cartpath ends and where we were specifically told NOT to drive since all par 3's were supposed to be cart path only. One of the guys we were matched up with commented to the angry little old senior dude that he should not be riding his cart up near greens on par 3's that were cart path only.

For our playing partners, Robert and I, the angry little old senior dude's tone and response will be remembered for a long time... "Don't worry about it, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT" repeated over and over will live on in infamy!
 Message #93591 - This was a reply to message #93590
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Saturday February 15, 2020 1:44 PM
QUOTED  Start the round with 3 balls, same brand with numbers 1,2 and 3 on them. In case one is lost or a provisional is needed, next number is up. Bridgestone yellow 2/3 were in my pocket, must have been a coinsidence that I hit yellow Bridgestone 1 on his tee box and it miraculously ended up in his cart? Anyway, kudos to his wife for ratting him out!

Aren't you supposed to have an identifying mark on you r ball as well. "Bridgestone yellow xs #1 with two black dots..."

My friend bought a dozen B-stone xs "TIGER" printed on them as leftovers today. I mixed up the numbers like Nick does so each sleeve has 3 different numbers . He says I'm all set for the tourney tomorrow. I respond what if another competitor is playing the same ball on parallel holes? You still should have a unique mark as well.

Way off the GK15 posts sorry
 Message #93592 - This was a reply to message #93591
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Sunday February 16, 2020 5:50 PM
No challenge identifying it if I could find it Peter. It was just difficult finding it after he picked it up and hid it in the ball compartment of his golf cart.
 Message #93611 - This was a reply to message #93592
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Monday April 27, 2020 3:02 PM
QUOTED  Playing an 18 hole round v. multiple opponents was not favored by the majority of the participants at the start of GK Cup 15. However, because of COVID-19, multi player matches are allowable if anyone needs to get in more matches that way.

New Updated rule to allow quicker scheduling of Matches
 Message #94856 - This was a reply to message #93250
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday June 5, 2020 4:06 PM
I have one match left to play, any takers? Nevermind, Saturday at Crosscreek vs Sr714, be well.

[[Edited by Rat-Patrol on Wednesday June 10, 2020 6:09 AM]]
 Message #95241 - This was a reply to message #94856

Listing 11 to 20 of 20 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]