Please post ALL GK Cup 15 Match Play Results here
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Please post ALL GK Cup 15 Match Play Results here

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 20 of 142 Replies

PAGES: 15 1 2 3 4 5
Alex326
RE: GK Cup 15 Match Play Results
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday February 6, 2020 7:27 PM
The first match of GK Cup 15 is in the books and it was a great one. In the end Alex326 defeated Mnielson 3&1. Both players brought their A game and you didn’t even think about winning a hole with anything other than a par or birdie and even that didn’t guarantee a win! Seriously, hole 9 was halved with pars and Hole 10 was halved with each player scoring a birdie!

Both players found the fairway on the opening tee shot to show they meant business. A little shadow boxing followed with each player posting a bogey 5. Then Mike drew first blood on hole two only to have the match go back to even on hole three when Alex hit the green for a fairly easy two putt par on the par 3.

From there the gloves came off and it was a full on knockdown brawl, with 7 lead changes in 8 holes. Let me repeat that. SEVEN lead changes in 8 holes!!! Mike went 1 up on hole 8 sinking a 15’ birdie putt. After posing with the birdie chain, Mike showed he meant business by getting up and down from 20 yards off the green to halve the hole with pars. At the turn it was Mnielson 1 up to secure a full and the first point for the competition. I guess that’s why he’s the defending champion!

However, the fireworks were just beginning, both players birdied Hole 10 to open the back 9. The dogfight ensued as the next three holes were halved. Mike showed his one and only “bad” hole during the round and Alex was able to capitalize on it and take the hole with a bogey to bring the match back to all square heading to the 14th tee box. A solid up and down for par gave Alex the lead for the first time since hole 6.

With Alex 1 up going into the par 3 16th hole, both players hit the green. Mike was on the upper tier and had a difficult putt coming back down the hill which he ran too far past the pin and wasn’t able to convert his par putt. Alex safely two putted for par to go 2 up (really should have made a birdie but pulled the putt left)

Hole 17 is a long par 5 and the last hole that Mike got a stroke (he got 5 total). Mike safely hit the fairway. Alex took an aggressive line over the trees and also hit the fairway. Both players end up 85 yards out (Alex hitting 3, Mike hitting 4 but with a stroke). Getting aggressive and attacking the back pin on the upper tier, Mike overshoots the green and Alex sticks it to 5’. Mikes shot runs about 7-8 feet past the pin and Alex converted the birdie putt to both take back the Birdie chain and close out the match.

There’s a reason Mike is the defending GK Cup champion. He is very consistent and has a great short game. In the end, my driver caught fire and put me in great position every time on the back nine to set up my irons which were pretty consistent all day.

Both players played solid golf all day long with neither player losing a ball or taking a penalty stroke. I’m going to have to rest up before my next match, this one was a battle!
 Message #93470 - This was a reply to message #93437
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Thursday February 6, 2020 8:27 PM
Great write up Alex on hole by hole details. A grade for the colorful and descriptive commentary.

However, you got an F grade on reporting who won the points. Which is THE most important thing people need to know!

3 & 1 for the overall = 1 point to Alex. Mike won the front and Alex won the back. 1 point each.

It needs to state that without people having to read the entire write up and figure it out piece by piece.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #93476 - This was a reply to message #93470
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Thursday February 6, 2020 8:50 PM
QUOTED  From there the gloves came off and it was a full on knockdown brawl, with 7 lead changes in 8 holes. Let me repeat that. SEVEN lead changes in 8 holes!!!

Whoa!

QUOTED  I’m going to have to rest up before my next match, this one was a battle!

LOL!
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #93478 - This was a reply to message #93470
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Thursday February 6, 2020 9:51 PM
QUOTED  However, you got an F grade on reporting who won the points. Which is THE most important thing people need to know!

You're retired Nick. You have time to read it and post the scores so others only have to look at the list for point totals. My role is to keep everyone dressed sharp! But I'll try to make it easier during the next write up. Maybe a picture of each competitor holding up a board with the number of points earned??
 Message #93479 - This was a reply to message #93476
JohnnyGK
RE: Please post ONLY GK Cup 15 Match Play Results here

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Friday February 7, 2020 6:52 AM
QUOTED  In your match write up, please prominently list how many total points each player won on top.

How about the bottom?

I personally liked the suspense of reading Alex's write-up and not knowing the winner until the end. Had I known the full results of the match right away it would have spoiled much of the fun of write up.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #93482 - This was a reply to message #93251
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Friday February 7, 2020 7:13 AM
QUOTED  How about the bottom?

I will talk to my editor, but I'm sure I can make that happen!
 Message #93483 - This was a reply to message #93482
sbarajasjr
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass & Pasatiempo

Friday February 7, 2020 10:13 PM
GK Cup 15 - Match 2
sbarajasjr (Sal) 15.8 vs. kviser (Kevin) 16 [Attest: mdames (Mike)]
Rustic Canyon Golf Course - 10:30 a.m. tee-time
Blue Tees (played by both opponents - no strokes given/received): 6634/71.6/128

Match Result: 2 - Sal, 1 - Kevin
• Points for Front 9: 1 - Kevin (1 Up for Front 9)
• Points for Back 9: 1 - Sal (3 Up for Back 9)
• Points for Match: 1 - Sal (2 Up for 18 Holes)

Hole by Hole Summary:
1. Par 5 - 512 yards: Both Kevin and Sal hit good drives down the fairway. Kevin's second shot ends up in the waste bunker running along the right-hand side of the fairway and lands in a mound unfortunately. Sal hooks second shot green-side but left. The forced layup from the hazard bunker costs Kevin an extra shot allowing Sal's bogey to win the hole. Match: Sal 1 Up

2. Par 4 - 443 yards: Sal manages to hit a good drive to within PW territory. Kevin's drive moves right and towards 6th tee box. Kevin is forced to lay up form there costing him another extra shot, however Sal's 2-putt par on this hole sealed it. Match: Sal 2 Up

3. Par 4 - 308: Kevin and Sal both play smart and lay up with mid-iron with Kevin getting about 10 yards closer to green. Kevin's second shot lands on hard green and bounces just over onto soft fringe/apron. Sal hits second shot a bit short and has to chip on for third shot. Kevin gets up and down for par and takes the hole and gains stroke back. Match: Sal 1 Up

4. Par 3 - 152 yards: Both men hit tee shots that look good but end up well short (on larger apron but not green). Kevin gets close with his second, but Sal gets close enough for a short but tricky 3 foot par putt to take the hole. Match: Sal 2 Up

5. Par 5 - 545 yards: Memory fails me after the third shot on this long par 5, but at some point with Kevin on the green waiting to putt for par (which he made), Sal was going from below the highly elevated green to the top and back down more than once. Kevin easily takes this hole and gets the stroke back from the previous hole. Match: Sal 1 Up

6. Par 3 - 200 yards (on the card, playing ~150 from tee box that is not yet printed on scorecard): All that needs to be said is Sal's inside out swing on the tee shot went over the 7th tee box and the players waiting there. A re-teed shot lands on the green but Kevin gets there first without the penalty and two putts marvelously on the tricky green for a great par save. Match: All Square

7. Par 4 - 338 yards: Short par 4 traversed by barranca. Kevin smartly plays an iron short of waste area and hits a perfect approach that bounces on/off green but a chip away. Sal goes driver and pushes it to right fairway. Second ends up near Kevin and both men get up and two putt for a push. Match: All Square

8. Par 3 - 123 yards: Kevin pushes tee shot a bit left into bunker area with gorilla grass, but manages a PGA-like second shot out of there somehow to about 10 feet. Sal shorts his tee shot and chips up using ridge backstop to have ball come back. Two putts for both again for yet another push. Match: All Square

9. Par 5 - 518 yards: Kevin hits a great tee shot and Sal... does not, pushing his right and into lateral hazard area. Kevin and Sal hit good second shots, but with Sal's penalty he quickly loses the hole as Kevin's bogey easily beats Sal. Match: Kevin 1 Up (and takes the front nine)

10. Par 5 - 546 yards: Sal and Kevin both hit good drives short of waste barranca that crosses fairway. Sal's second shot a bit better to about 80 yards. Sal's third shot to about 8 feet and makes the only birdie on the card, the only way to beat Kevin's great par. Match: All Square. Back 9: Sal 1 Up

11. Par 4 - 430 yards: Sal and Kevin both hit good drives but a bit right, with Kevin's more right. Unfortunately second shot for Kevin hooks left into waste area and is lost. Sal's second shot short but good enough to leave easy chip. Two putt ensures bogey for Sal and the hole. Match: Sal 1 Up. Back 9: Sal 2 Up

12. Par 4 - 325 yards: Short par 4 where Kevin's drive hits a stake and lands on a gopher mound and Sal's hook ends up in the green-side bunker. Sal proceeds to hit out and over the green, chip on but long and then 3 -putt. Kevin ensures his good approach shot after the gopher shot leaves him an easy bogey and hole win. Match: All Square. Back 9: Sal 1 Up

13: Par 5 - 546 yards: Sal hits solid drive well right and OB. Sal re-tees and hits it less right but Kevin hits a great drive down the left side of fairway near fairway bunker and proceeds to crush his 3 wood to about 25 yards. Sal manages to get to green but a shot too late. Kevin takes it with a wonderful par. Match: Kevin 1 Up. Back 9: All Square

14: Par 4 - 446 yards: Unfair hole with easily 200 yard carry at any point of entry. Kevin manages to easily come in from shorter but safer angle. Sal hits it well but lands in playable waste area thanks to lucky bounce. Sal manages to hit second to about 20 yards and scrambles/putts his way to a bogey while Kevin has some slight trouble missing the bogey putt. Match: All Square. Back 9: Sal 1 Up

15: Par 3 - 138 yards: Hellish par 3 with tiered green that both Sal and Kevin miss left, with Sal hitting into brush and having to re-tee. Kevin has amazing light tap from fescue grass to still run past and two putt for bogey. Sal makes fool of self and has penalty to contend with. Match: Kevin 1 Up. Back 9: All Square.

16: Par 4 - 466 yards: Both men start off weakly; Sal with a push drive left that bounces into ESA area with lateral entry allowed, Kevin short right and then a second shot into the waste area that is OB. Fortunate break for Sal as second shot takes the path down to near green-side. Details after this are fleeting but a 6 won the hole amazingly for Sal. Match: All Square. Back 9: Sal 1 Up

17: Par 3 - 161 yards: Sal hits a great draw to about 15 feet. Kevin's shot ends up in waste green-side area, where he amazingly plays it from under a bush and gets on the dance floor. Putting woes from that point plague Kevin and even as Sal's par putt lips in/out, the bogey suffices. Match: Sal 1 Up. Back 9: Sal 2 Up (sealing the back nine)

18: Par 4 - 437 yards: Sal crushes best drive of day to about 120 out. Kevin hits towards the right barranca lining the right hands side of the hole. Kevin has some issues getting out and when he does goes left a bit. Sal hits approach shot left to enormous green (shared with practice green) and three putts from about 80 feet, sealing the match. Match: Sal 2 Up. Back 9: Sal 3 Up

Notes: Pace of play was about 4.5 hours but the front played brutally slow at times as groups in front of us were "having a good time"; would have been 5+ hour round had we not passed them on 10th tee. Course conditions will be addressed in course review, but links style course played true to its name. Match was a heck of a lot of fun with lots of back and forth. Kevin is a good man and competitor, keeping things light thus adding to enjoyment factor.

[[Edited by sbarajasjr on Tuesday May 26, 2020 12:13 PM]]
 Message #93490 - This was a reply to message #93251
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Friday February 7, 2020 10:25 PM
Darren (Dblevs606) and Francisco (Eli1488) did their GK match at Avila Beach today. I tagged along and asked if I could do the re-cap since I needed extra credit in order to avoid summer school after my flunked test yesterday! So for those who have the attention span of a goldfish here are the results…. Eli1488 won 3&2 and took ALL 3 Points.

For those who got stood up by their dates and have nothing better to do this weekend, here’s the full(ish) recap. Neither player really started off well. In fact the front nine was more about who could plug the holes in the boat the best to save a sinking ship. Darren jumped out to an early 2 up lead through four holes but then Francisco was able to use his strokes (he got 7 during the round) to get back into contention and ended up going 1 up at the turn. Whereas yesterdays battle was a MMA title bout, this was more of a Jerry Springer slap fight. No one was really gonna do any damage. Most holes were won with double and even triple bogeys.

At the turn, Francisco started to play some golf making 3 pars and a few bogeys on the back nine. The match quickly got out of hand as Darren continued to struggle. A few mishaps by Francisco when he was 4 up at around hole 13 gave Darren some life but it didn’t last long and Francisco ended the match with a nice up and down for par on hole 16. Of course as soon as the match was over, Darren makes par.
 Message #93491 - This was a reply to message #93490
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Saturday February 8, 2020 7:12 AM
QUOTED  Darren (Dblevs606) and Francisco (Eli1488) did their GK match at Avila Beach today. I tagged along and asked if I could do the re-cap since I needed extra credit in order to avoid summer school after my flunked test yesterday! So for those who have the attention span of a goldfish here are the results…. Eli1488 won 3&2 and took ALL 3 Points.

For those who got stood up by their dates and have nothing better to do this weekend, here’s the full(ish) recap. Neither player really started off well. In fact the front nine was more about who could plug the holes in the boat the best to save a sinking ship. Darren jumped out to an early 2 up lead through four holes but then Francisco was able to use his strokes (he got 7 during the round) to get back into contention and ended up going 1 up at the turn. Whereas yesterdays battle was a MMA title bout, this was more of a Jerry Springer slap fight. No one was really gonna do any damage. Most holes were won with double and even triple bogeys.

At the turn, Francisco started to play some golf making 3 pars and a few bogeys on the back nine. The match quickly got out of hand as Darren continued to struggle. A few mishaps by Francisco when he was 4 up at around hole 13 gave Darren some life but it didn’t last long and Francisco ended the match with a nice up and down for par on hole 16. Of course as soon as the match was over, Darren makes par.

ROTF - I love these write ups Alex! - LOL

Oh, and love that you made some posts on GK's iPhone during the round.
 Message #93492 - This was a reply to message #93491
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Saturday February 8, 2020 8:00 AM
QUOTED  So for those who have the attention span of a goldfish here are the results….

How about if the people you got involved actually write up THEIR OWN results Alex?
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #93494 - This was a reply to message #93492

Listing 11 to 20 of 142 Replies

PAGES: 15 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]