YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Please post ALL GK Cup 15 Match Play Results here

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 21 to 30 of 142 Replies

PAGES: 15 1 2 3 4 5
JohnnyGK
RE: Please post ONLY GK Cup 15 Match Play Results here

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday February 8, 2020 8:08 AM
QUOTED  How about if the people you got involved actually write up THEIR OWN results Alex?

Alex I'm grateful you took the time to do a write up. Please keep posting your write ups regardless if it was your match or not. I think it was awesome that you tagged along with Eli1488 and Dblevs606 to join in on the fun.

Nick is right in hoping that those that played in the match post the results here. BUT there on no objections to those tagging along in the match making a post here either.

I also want to say that as very appreciated it is that results are posted here, it is NOT mandatory that you post your results in this forum thread but you do need to provide Nick the results ASAP after your match is complete so they can be posted.

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Saturday February 8, 2020 8:24 AM]]
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #93495 - This was a reply to message #93494
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Saturday February 8, 2020 8:13 AM
Sal love the break down hole by hole - man I stopped in to Rustic Canyon on Thursday to say hi to the staff. Golf course looks wicked firm ... but I love it that way.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #93496 - This was a reply to message #93490
dethman
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Saturday February 8, 2020 1:46 PM
QUOTED  [Posted By Nickesquire on 02.08.2020 8:00 AM]

QUOTED  So for those who have the attention span of a goldfish here are the results….

How about if the people you got involved actually write up THEIR OWN results Alex?

/rollseyes
 Message #93497 - This was a reply to message #93494
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Tuesday February 11, 2020 7:38 PM
FirstflightFX-101 v. Nickesquire @ Arrowhead C.C.

The wind should have received all 3 available points in this match. For any of you who watched the PGA guys battle the wind and lose last Sunday afternoon @ Pebble Beach, it's even more of an unfair fight when guys who regularly shoot in the 80's and 90's play in high winds. Net bogey would have you in contention on almost every hole today. It was hole 15 before we finally halved a hole with pars. Between us we hit a few really good shots that were affected by the wind. Alot of mediocre shots that were affected by the wind. And many poor shots that became even poorer in the wind.

Nick played the Blues, Chuck played the Whites and was getting 8 strokes.

Hole winner/holes for the side. ** Stroke holes

Hole 1 Halve/Even **
Hole 2 Chuck/Chuck +1 **
Hole 3 Halve/Chuck +1
Hole 4 Chuck/Chuck +2
Hole 5 Chuck/Chuck +3
hole 6 Nick/Chuck +2 **
Hole 7 Nick/Chuck +1
Hole 8 Nick/Even
Hole 9 Chuck/Chuck +1 **

Chuck wins the Front, +1 hole

Hole 10 Chuck/Chuck +1
Hole 11 Nick/Even
Hole 12 Nick/Nick +1 **
Hole 13 Halve/Nick +1
Hole 14 Chuck/Even **
Hole 15 Halve/Even
Hole 16 Nick/Nick +1 **
Hole 17 Nick/Nick +2,
Hole 18 Nick/Nick +3 **

Nick wins the Back, +3 holes

• Points for Front 9: 1 - Chuck (+1 hole)
• Points for Back 9: 1 - Nick (+3 holes)
• Points for Match: 1 - Nick (2 Up)

Match Recap: 2 Points Nick, 1 Point Chuck.

We played fairly even from tee to green as we both struggled to string together several decent shots in a row in the windy conditions. The difference in the match was that Chuck had 11 more putts, which accounted for almost all the difference in our gross (literally and figuratively) scores. It was my pleasure to meet and play 18 with Chuck. Very nice and fun guy to play with.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Monday February 17, 2020 7:05 PM]]
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #93547 - This was a reply to message #93497
FirstFlightFX-101
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q, Oak V

Tuesday February 11, 2020 8:13 PM
Gents, first off, howdy to you all. I'm one of your rookies for Cup 15, Chuck(firstflightfx-101). I thoroughly enjoyed my first cup match. Thank you Nick, for showing me the ropes and answering my questions. Now that my first timers nerves are behind me, my flat shtick should behave. Looking forward to more matches, points, and taking that cup...or at least taking that Most Valuable Rookie ribbon at the end! ;-)
Anyone still on the fence about doing cup? Don't be...sign up, sooner than later!
Cheers,
 Message #93548 - This was a reply to message #93547
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Wednesday February 12, 2020 7:18 PM
Gary00 v. Nickesquire @ Oak Quarry

Nick played the Blues, Gary played the Whites. Nick got 1 stroke.

One of the most competitive matches I have ever had the pleasure of being involved in. Only 3 holes halved and most were decided by exactly 1 stroke. We shot the same score on the front AND the same score on the back. By my count, 15 of the 18 holes were still up for grabs when we were both on the green putting. We both hit some excellent shots. We both had some we could have done alot better on. But we both grinded and were often making par or bogey with the once a side bad hole. Tough putting course. We both had two 3 putts but we both made alot of good 2 putts from distance on the firm, undulating greens. Neither could convert many one putts however. I think we both played better tee to green than our scores indicated, we both had mediocre putting days (Gary 34 putts, Nick 35 putts).

Hole 1 Nick/Nick +1
Hole 2 Nick/Nick +2
Hole 3 Gary/Nick +1
Hole 4 Nick/Nick +2
Hole 5 Nick/Nick +3

Hole 5 deserves an ****. Nick hit a 5 iron long and left that caromed off the rocks all the way back across to the far side of the green about 40 yards from where it hit the rocks. 2 putts from 84' later, routine par when the tee shot in the air had double written all over it. Gary hit a much better tee shot just over the green but failed to get it up/down.

hole 6 Gary/Nick +2
Hole 7 Nick/Nick +3 **
Hole 8 Halve/Nick +3
Hole 9 Gary/Nick +2

Nick wins the Front, +2 holes

Hole 10 Halve/Even
Hole 11 Gary/Gary +1
Hole 12 Gary/Gary +2
Hole 13 Gary/Gary +3
Hole 14 Nick/Gary +2
Hole 15 Halve/Gary +2
Hole 16 Nick/Gary +1
Hole 17 Nick/Even
Hole 18 Gary/Gary +1

Gary wins the Back, +1 hole

• Points for Front 9: 1 - Nick (+2 holes)
• Points for Back 9: 1 - Gary (+1 hole)
• Points for Match: 1 - Nick (2 & 1, +1 hole total)

Match Recap: 2 Points Nick, 1 Point Gary.

Huge shout out to Gary, who is a good golfer period. But he is an amazing golfer for a guy who is 77 years young. He hits fairways and greens on a tough course @ a % that guys half his age would be proud of.

It was a pleasure watching Gary manage the course! Very enjoyable guy to play with.

This has nothing to do with the GK Cup... yet, because Mrkich has yet to get off his butt and enter in his last 20 scores in Scoretracker... but Matt hit drives on back to back downhill, down wind holes on the back 9 today that we measured at between 340 and 390 yards. The old power fade is BACK!

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Wednesday February 19, 2020 9:01 AM]]
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #93555 - This was a reply to message #93547
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Wednesday February 12, 2020 8:22 PM
Match play today during the GK Guru Meet and Play at Oak Quarry GC between Sbogey and kviser; Sbogey got a point for winning the front nine (3-up) and kviser got two points for the back nine (5 and 3) and overall win (3 and 2).

Sbogey (Steve) got off to a great start winning Holes 1, 3, and 4-7 to go 5 up as we headed to hole 8 tee. That's where it went really bad. Sbogey made a 10 on the relatively benign par 5 hole. I struggled with my first three shots from the hillside between Holes 7 and 8 before I found the fairway at 60 yards from the pin. Sbogey hit his approach over the green, then proceeded to play table tennis with the very firm green (they were all firm), going from the rough to the bunker, to the rough again (and again). Ouch! On Hole 9, Sbogey hits his drive into the left hazard for his first penalty of the day. For the record, I had four penalties between Holes 5, 6, and 7. We both struggled up to the green and my bogey wins the hole to his triple.

Back nine sees me go on a mean streak come back, winning Holes 10, 11, 12, and 13 to go 1 up. Hole 14 was a fiasco for both of us as we pushed with 6's on the signature par 3. It went like this: both players hit into the hazard left off the tee. Both players hit into the small pot bunker at the right front of the green from the drop area; it was only 90 yards to the middle of the green! We both hit decent shots out onto the dance floor and then proceeded to two putt for our triples.

Hole 15 was relatively tragic for Sbogey as he could not capitalize on my poor drive that left me 201 yards to the pin and his great drive that left him 70 yards. We both hit to the right greenside rough then chipped on. I felt my three footer straight up the hill was better than his slippery 5 footer, so I denied his "Good-good" question. I probably should have said yes, but I was on a streak and since my driver and three wood were acting up I needed a buffer. It paid off for me and went to Hole 16 with me two up.

Hole 16 was neck and neck. I hit the fairway with my 3 wood and Sbogey out drove me with driver to the right rough. We both hit into the fairway about 150 yards short of the green, then hit to about 45 yards short and right. I pitched on but about 30 feet past the pin. Sbogey chunked short, then proceeded to hit Texas flat wedge short about three more times. I made double bogey, 7, to his triple bogey, 8, for the win, 3 and 2.

Good thing I had that buffer because I struggled on Holes 17 and 18, where Sbogey played them one-under with a great par save on 17 and finishing birdie!

It was a nice day today with three guys named Steve in my group. On hole 2, when they weren't ready, I shouted, "Steve!" real loud just to see them all look up at the same time. I know, it was juvenile of me.

Thanks to Johnny and Oak Quarry for the great round!

[[Edited by kviser on Wednesday February 12, 2020 8:43 PM]]
 Message #93556 - This was a reply to message #93251
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Wednesday February 12, 2020 10:11 PM
VERY NICE match write ups guys.

A couple of points David brought up that may not be clear to all.

The new point system is actually three matches in one.

The front 9 is a match that ends with a point being awarded for who wins the most holes on the front 9. 1/2 point each if tied after holes 1-9.

The back 9 starts over as even on hole 10 and ends with a point being awarded for who wins the most holes on the back 9. 1/2 point each if tied after holes 10-18.

The way you report the front and back 9's is up to you. Traditional match play scoring of 2 and 1 if a person is 2 up with 1 to play is fine. Just reporting who won the most holes is also fine. Either way works for our purposes of determing who gets the individual 9 hole points available. To me, it keeps things simplier to say "A" won the front +1 hole if they won 5 holes and "B" won 4 holes regardless of the order of the holes won, because ALL those holes count in the 18 hole match regardless of when one party no longer had a chance of winning the front. Saying someone won the front 3 and 2 implies that holes 8/9 did not count or matter, when that is definitely NOT the case in the overall match.

The 18 hole match point does not reset after 9. It is a traditional 18 hole match where the winner also gets one point. If tied after 18, both parties get 1/2 point.

Just because the 18 hole match may be decided, that does not mean the back 9 is over if the trailing party still has a chance to at least tie on the back 9.

Practical example is the match today between Gary and I.

Nick won the front for a point.
Nick closed out the overall 18 hole match on the 17th hole for a point, 2 & 1.
However, the point for the back 9 was even after 17 holes and Gary won that point by winning #18 with a solid par.

Three observations so far:
1-Six of the first seven matches played resulted in a 2-1 overall point result. Both parties recording at least some points I see as a good thing.

2-Suprisingly, there have been no 1/2 points recorded yet.

3-In theory, the "new" point system should make all 18 holes more likely to count in each match. Based on the first seven matches played, that has definitely been the case.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Thursday February 13, 2020 12:07 AM]]
 Message #93560 - This was a reply to message #93556
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Wednesday February 12, 2020 11:01 PM
dconnally (DC) and Rat-Patrol (RP) squared off at Oak Quarry at the GK Guru event at 10:04 am on Wednesday, 2/12/20. We played the White tees with blakej824 and zgolfinman and had a fun round (Blake bombed ‘em from the Blues).RP was getting 2 strokes based on the differential in our ScoreTracker indexes.

Hole winner/holes for the side. (* Stroke hole)

Hole 1 RP/RP +1
Jim had never played OQ before but stuck his wedge in to 5 feet and birdied; DC with a routine par.

Hole 2 RP/RP +2
Another well-played hole by RP and a wedge to 2 feet for another birdie. DC with a number of forgettable shots.

Hole 3 Halve/RP +2
DC hit a good tee ball to within 6 feet but couldn’t convert the putt. RP feathered a putt over the edge from the upper tier to 10 feet past the hole, then sank the putt coming back. It’s an easy game!

Hole 4 DC/RP +1
Both in the fairway in good shape; DC on the green 20 feet from the pin, then pars. RP missed the green right then had difficulty getting to the putting surface.

Hole 5 RP/RP +2
DC over the right side of the green with a big mound blocking the path to the very far left hole location. RP overcooked a draw that settled below the left front of the green. DC’s chip was a little too hot and rolled off the front of the green. RP pitched on and 2-putted for bogey to win the hole.

Hole 6 DC/RP +1
RP pushes his tee ball right, catching the lip of the bunker and settling beyond it in an awkward stance. He’s right of the green in 3 and 20 feet past the pin in 4, but sinks ANOTHER putt for the bogey! DC hit a solid drive down the middle, was 20 feet past the pin and 2-putted for par.

Hole 7 Halve/RP +1 (*)
DC hits a solid drive in the fairway, but RP skies one into the rough on the right. His wood 2nd shot settles 10 yards short of the green. DC badly pulls his 2nd shot long left, but bumps a chip down to 8 feet below the hole, and makes his par. RP pitches beyond the hole and rolls his par putt right over the edge of the hole, somehow not going in. With his stroke, the hole is halved.

Hole 8 DC/Even
DC again a solid strike down the middle, but RP finds the right bunker. RP pulls his 2nd shot left onto the hillside in the penalty area. He drops at the point of entry and hits to the bottom of the hill, but then hits into and stays in the greenside bunker and then things get worse. DC lays up to 60 yards, wedges on the green, and 2-putts for par.

Hole 9 RP/RP +1
Both with solid drives and on the green. RP putts to gimme distance, DC 3-putts. Ugh!

Hole 10 DC/Even
RP into the right greenside bunker, then over the green, eventually making a double. DC just over the back of the green and putts down to 3 feet, then pars.

Hole 11 RP/RP +1
Uphill dogleg right into the wind. Both with good drives in the middle, RP thins his second short of the green. DC with a solid iron into the center of the green that looks like it will release down to the hole, but on the firm green the ball releases over the back of the green into a tight cuppy lie. RP with a very nice chip-and-run and makes ANOTHER putt for par. DC unable to get close to the hole and bogeys.

Hole 12 DC/Even
Both with solid drives down the middle (RP’s really blasted). DC’s 2nd shot runs down to the end of the fairway, but RP’s goes further into a sloping lie in the rough. DC wedges on and pars. RP chili-dips a pitch off the sloping lie and bogeys.

Hole 13 DC/DC +1 (*)
First lead of the day for DC after another solid drive and a 9-iron to 10 feet. RP flared his drive into an unplayable lie on the right then hit other forgettable shots; the stroke here doesn’t help him.

Hole 14 RP/Even
Both players with indifferent tee shots – DC into the right front bunker, RP short of that bunker. RP wedges to the back of the green and bogeys. DC takes 2 to get out of the bunker.

Hole 15 RP/RP +1
RP back on top with a tee shot in the middle, on the green 15 feet beyond the pin, and an easy par. DC hits a solid shot that’s too much club for the tight, firm fairway and runs through the fairway into a hole in the rough. He can’t make a 5-footer to halve the hole.

Hole 16 DC/Even
Par 5 into the wind –RP pushes his to the right and it hits in the fairway bunker and BOUNCES OUT off the firm sand base. DC with another solid drive. RP’s second is not well-struck, but DC pushes a weak shot into the right rough. RP’s 3rd is well right and behind heavy vegetation, and he has to punch out backwards. So, of course, he wedges on and uses the green slope to get to 4 feet from the hole, making the bogey putt. DC has hit a solid iron onto the green to 20 feet, and makes par.

Hole 17 Halve/Even
DC pushes a poor drive but gets a good kick off the right slope back to the fairway. His solid 6-iron is just off the back of the green. RP blasts his drive down the middle and is on the green. Both putt close and good-good.

Hole 18 DC/DC +1
All even going to the 18th. The tee is pushed pretty far forward. DC hits a solid 4-iron and it rolls forever on the sloped tight turf, ending up only 60 yards from the pin, an awkward distance. RP’s hybrid is in the middle but he hits his approach heavy into the front bunker, then stays in the bunker on his next. He’s on in 4 and 2-putts. DC clips a sand wedge to 20 feet and pars.

Match Result: 2 - DC, 1 - RP

• Points for Front 9: 1 - RP (1 Up for Front 9)
• Points for Back 9: 1 - DC (2 Up for Back 9)
• Points for Match: 1 - DC (1 Up for 18 Holes)

Jim started hot as a firecracker but was up and down during the back end of the round. I think I hit the ball as solidly as I have all year, and was able to overcome a few unlucky bounces and teeth-gnashing lies. After Jim's quick start, I slowly clawed back and then it was back-and-forth for the rest of the match.

Jim is always a pleasure to play with and we enjoyed playing with Blake and Bob as well. Thanks to Johnny for setting up this meeting at my favorite course in SoCal.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #93561 - This was a reply to message #93560
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Thursday February 13, 2020 10:09 PM
T8fish v. Nickesquire @ Goose Creek.

Kevin put on a clinic today of putting it in the fairway, putting it on the green, 2 putts for par and move on to the next hole. Hole after hole after hole.

Nick played the Blues, Kevin played the Whites and was getting 1 stroke.

Hole 1 Kevin/Kevin +1
Hole 2 Halve/Kevin +1
Hole 3 Kevin/Kevin +2
Hole 4 Kevin/Kevin +3
Hole 5 Kevin/Kevin +4
hole 6 Kevin/Kevin +5
Hole 7 Nick/Kevin +4
Hole 8 Halve/Kevin +4
Hole 9 Kevin/Kevin +5

Kevin wins the Front, +5 holes

Hole 10 Halve/Even
Hole 11 Kevin/Kevin +1
Hole 12 Nick/Even
Hole 13 Kevin/Kevin +1
Hole 14 Halve/Kevin +1
Hole 15 Halve/Kevin +1
Hole 16 Kevin/Kevin +2
Hole 17 Halve/Kevin +2
Hole 18 Kevin/Kevin +3 **

Kevin wins the Back, +3 holes

• Points for Front 9: 1 - Kevin (+5 holes)
• Points for Back 9: 1 - Kevin (+3 holes)
• Points for Match: 1 - Kevin (6 & 5, +8 holes total)

Match Recap: 3 Points Kevin, 0 Points Nick.

Memo to self. Do not play an average round against someone you are spotting a stroke to when they play a great round, or it is going to be ugly!!! One of the worst defeats in the history of the GK Cup ugly. I played my within normal range high 80's round. Kevin shot in the low 80's. Could this still be a close match? That would especially be a NO when Kevin had 2 blow up holes that accounted for +8 of his total +11 over par. Playing the other 16 holes in +3 is a perfect way to win BIG in match play when it's a match played between 2 players who shoot in the 80's more often than not. My lone birdie was on one of Kevin's blowup holes that I could have won with a 6.

Always a pleasure to play a round with Kevin. Huge props for the way he played today. A couple of loose shots but VERY consistent otherwise. Also made some nice putts. I would have had to play a well above average round for me today to have any chance the way Kevin played. I lost every hole I did not make at least par on. Very enjoyable playing with Kevin, whose handicap is legit, he just had a great day!

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Tuesday February 18, 2020 10:09 AM]]
 Message #93573 - This was a reply to message #93547

Listing 21 to 30 of 142 Replies

PAGES: 15 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]