Please post ALL GK Cup 15 Match Play Results here
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Please post ALL GK Cup 15 Match Play Results here

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 51 to 60 of 142 Replies

PAGES: 15 4 5 6 7 8
Alex326
RE: Please post ALL GK Cup 15 Match Play Results here
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday February 26, 2020 4:24 PM
From the Nike 80's commercial "It's gotta be the shoes"!!! Peter was dressed very sharp with the shoes, hat and putter cover all matching perfectl (see photo on GK app) Peter almost scored a perfect 10 with his outfit, missing out on the last 1/2 point due to not having the TP5 Pix or a Truvis in the red/white/blue version.

Though I lost the match and tied on outfit points, I was happy to secure the birdie chain. Peter kept saying he was going to snag it from me and nearly did on the 12th hole.

Last match with Peter his putter was a one club show to secure the win. This time it was his wedge play that kept him alive all day.

Now I have a huge battle ahead to secure the birdie chain in my David vs Goliath match on Saturday against Matt P.
 Message #93716 - This was a reply to message #93715
kassper7
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    It varies
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry

Thursday February 27, 2020 10:09 AM
Match between kassper7 and kurator62 was held at the Navy Course. kassper7 was getting 6 strokes.

kassper7 wins all 3 points.

The basics are that I got to play a course that I love in weather that I love (hot) and my score was below my handicap. While Joey enjoyed his first time playing the Navy Destroyer, he didn't get his groove going enough and got nowhere near the lucky breaks I got and shot over his handicap.

if you only read one hole summary - read number 13

Hole 1: K7 pulls his drive, second just short of the green and 2 putt - while JK62 hits middle of fairway, middle of green, 2 putt par. JK62 +1
Hole 2: JK62 flairs his drive a little into the looming trees on the right. K7 hits through the fairway slightly but has a good look at the green and hits it to 4 feet. The birdie beats tree trouble bogey. AS
Hole 3: Par5. Both find different paths to have a shortish 3rds which miss the green but both get up and down for par - STROKE HOLE - K7 +1
Hole 4: Both pull their drives into basically the same tree and get the same lucky bounce and are a yard from each other a ways out. Neither hit the green from there but both get on and two putt for bogey. K7 +1
Hole 5: K7 hits a good drive. JK62's drive starts to flair and the wind grabs it and pushes it into the water on the right. K7 hits the green while JK62 ends up a little short of the green for his third. The green in completely nuts so it costs each of us and extra stroke to get it to drop and the penalty stroke is the difference maker. K7 +2
Hole 6: Par5. 2 pulled drives - K7 has to lay well back from the bunker he was in. JK62 has a better angle but hits a pull again and clips a branch. It takes him two more to get on the green from there, meanwhile K7 hits a 5 wood to 18 feet but then has no manliness left to hit a putt that can get to the hole and 3 putts. Luckily this doesn't matter as JK62 can't get his par putt to fall either and it's a STROKE HOLE - K7 +3
Hole 7: Two good drives and JK62 hits his second just short of the green while K7 hits into the nearby bunker. JK62 gets up and down K7 can't. K7+2
Hole 8: JK62 hits an ideal drive while K7 hits the tree nearby and it settles in the needles below. K7 hits and good punch to short of the green but JK62 hits a great shot over the bunkers to 12 feet. K7 chips to 6 feet. JK62's birdie putt just barely misses and K7 par putt lips out but STROKE HOLE K7 +2
Hole 9: Par 3. JK62's shot slides to the right into the bunker with a little help from the wind. K7 hits short . The bunker shot would be difficult with good sand but thin sand causes the bunker shot to roll into another bunker. In the end, bogey beats double as neither make a mid-length putt K7+3

Hole 10: K7 middle of fairway - JK62's drive cuts off too much of the corner and hits a tree. More problems leave him on the green in 4 while K7 hits short of the green and chips up for a two putt bogey and JK62 can't sink the downhiller to tie. K7 +4 +1
Hole 11: Par 3 K7 pushes his drive into the front bunker - JK62 hits a beauty to the base of the back shelf the pin is on. K7 goes for the hero bunker shot and it sails over the green into the land of many strokes. JK62's par wins the hole halfway through K7's incompetent gyrations. K7 +3 AS
Hole 12: Two good drives - now come the scary shots over water. K7 hits a pull that only makes it over the water by a yard or so *whew* but it rolls back into the water *awwww*. JK62, seeing this, just hits it short into the water. Being able to drop on the other side of the lake proves to be the difference. K7 +4 +1
Hole 13: Another par 5 where two completely different path result in short iron third shots. JK62 hits his third SO FAT. "How fat was it?" It was so fat that Marie Osmond walked out to the divot and tried to sell it Nutrisystem. Luckily it was also so fat that it never reached the creek between us and the green. K7 tops his third in a way that it actually hops over the creek and begins climbing the embankment on the other side like a motorcycle in the widowmaker hill climb. It finally runs out of gas 5 feel from the hole.... The birdie misses but the par is good enough to win the hole. K7 +5 +2
Hole 14: Nothing but quality golf on this hole and it's halved with pars. K7 +5 +2
Hole 15: Par 3 K7 hits the green and 3 putts - Nice! JK62 come up a little short with a bad angle chip and also makes bogey. K7 +5 +2
Hole 16: K7 pushes his drive into the trees. JK62 hit's an ideal drive, great second and makes a par to win the hole. K7 +4 +1
Hole 17: Par 3 JK62 ends up in the bunker right and K7 is short left. Bunker shot goes a bit far while K7 hits a chip that takes a strange but perfect bounce off the fringe to tap in range. This ends up being enough to win the hole and close out the final point. K7 +5 +2

Joey is as pleasant as any Gker I've played with and both of us were saying how nice everyone in GreensKeeper is to play with.
 Message #93723 - This was a reply to message #93716
gary00
GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    jack
Favorite Golf Course:
    arrow wood

Thursday February 27, 2020 10:38 AM
2/26 Eagle Glen match between Sbogey and Gary00 playing from the white tees with Steve getting 3 strokes. Paired with Nick and David playing their match from the blues. Really enjoyed the company and the play with Steve who had a number of stories and was a commendable opponent as our match was tight with most holes decided by a made or missed putt.
#1 Steve 2 putt par plus 1
#2 halved with pars Steve plus 1
#3 Steve 2 putt par plus 2
#4 halved with bogeys
#5 stroke hole but Steve finds the penalty area while Gary pars Steve plus 1
#6 Steve scrambles for a bogey Gary finds a penalty area Steve plus 2
#7 halved with bogeys
#8 Gary 2 putt par match at Steve plus 1
#9 stroke hole Steve finds penalty area while Gary gets a lot of roll to end up about 30 yards out. Steve makes a good recovery shot to the fringe gets up and down for a bogey while Gary chunks 1 thins 1 and gets done with a bogey Steve plus 2
Back 9
#10 Gary 2 putt par plus 1
#11 Gary 2 putt par plus 2
#12 Steve has a couple of miss hits Gary ekes out a bogey Gary plus 3
#13 Gary 2 putt par plus 4
#14 Steve gets into junky area and has a struggle Gary manages a bogey from the fairway Gary plus 5
#15 Gary from the fairway finds the green side bunker gets way out in 2 and 3 putts from 30 yards while Steve makes an easy bogey Gary plus 4
# 16 stroke hole Gary 2 putt par Steve finds penalty area from tee then scrambles to have a putt to halve the hole but just slides by Gary plus 5
Steve wins front(1) Gary wins back and match(2)
As an added note on 17 Steve almost makes a hole in one right on line but just rolls by. Gary hit a shot that looked to be just left of the pin only to disappear forever. Both lost at least 1 ball on 18. Fun day all around thanks Steve for the sportsmanship. Steve played really well coming back off knee surgery not all that long ago.

[[Edited by gary00 on Thursday February 27, 2020 1:38 PM]]

[[Edited by gary00 on Thursday February 27, 2020 2:08 PM]]
 Message #93724 - This was a reply to message #93716
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Thursday February 27, 2020 6:44 PM
dconnally (DC) and Nickesquire (NE) squared off at Eagle Glen GC as the second group at the GK Guru outing at 11:10 am on Wednesday, 2/26/20. We played the Blue tees (6,279/70.4/131) with SBogey and gary00 playing the White tees in another GK Cup match. For reasons beyond understanding, long-hitting NE was getting 5 strokes based on the differential in our ScoreTracker indexes.

Hole winner/holes for the side. (* Stroke hole)

Hole 1 NE/NE +1(*)
NE throws his length in my face on the first hole, hitting an iron off the tee farther than I hit my driver. I’ve noticed that the approach shot on this hole usually plays one club less than you think, but this early in the round it’s difficult to convince yourself to club down. DC hits his approach to the back of the green (middle pin), while NE‘s wedge is hole high 10 feet left. DC slow rolls the long put down to near the hole, but NE buries his birdie putt right in the middle, making his stroke on this whole unnecessary.

Hole 2 NE/NE +2
Hole 2 is a difficult choice off the tee if you’re not sure you can hit something straight and solid. NE with another iron to the middle of the left fairway. DC hits a hybrid a little thin and winds up on the upslope short the bunkers. DC’s second is on the front of the green, and NE’s wedge approach comes up just short of the left side of the green. Many times today I found myself on the green, but with a very long putt. In this case DC leaves his approach about 8 feet short, and his next slips by on the right side. NE’s chip is 2 feet below the hole and an easy par.

Hole 3 DC/NE +1
Hole 3 was playing straight into the wind. NE works the left side hard with a hook onto the slope of the penalty area, then fails to get it out with his next shot. He went backwards, dropped and blasted a wood into the waste bunker along the right side. DC goes Fairway/Fairway, then an offline wedge to the left collar hole-high. His birdie putt lipped out but an easy five.

Hole 4 Halve/NE +1
We both pulled our tee shots left on the slope below the bunkers on this short downhill par-3. We both hit weak chips, with only DC’s dribbling onto the green. NE rolled his third up to 4 feet away; DC’s putt is also 4 feet away and we both make for a bogey to halve the hole.

Hole 5 DC/Even(*)
Hole 5 is another par-5 into the wind hitting over a natural area to a lower fairway and then second shot must clear another arroyo. DC’s drive is in the middle of the lower fairway. NE blasted his drive down the right side but it winds up in the penalty area, and he has to move back and drop. DC hits to the lower fairway short of the green. NE pushed his 3rd shot to the right into another penalty area. DC wedges on, again a long way from the hole (back pin). DC manages to roll the putt up to about 4 feet past the hole, then make the putt for the par. NE doesn’t take advantage of his stroke here, and the match is even.

Hole 6 DC/DC +1
A short uphill par-4, and DC’s driver is up the left side but much shorter than he thought it was going to be. I think I got some serious rollback on the tight fairway slope! NE blasted a drive down the right side into the fairway bunker, then hit very nice recovery shot on the right side of the green. DC’s 2nd shot goes just over the back but he is able to putt it down about 5 feet below the hole. NE has to come over a hump on the green which takes his ball away from the hole. DC makes his uphill putt for par. NE misses. First lead of the day for DC.

Hole 7 DC/DC +2
Another short narrow par-4, and DC hits a hybrid down the middle, leaving him with a short iron in. NE surprised me by using his driver here, and pushes one into the right penalty area. We weren’t sure if we would find it down near the green, so he hit another ball up the left side - Gone. We never found his first one, and he drops well back, and has further difficulties. DC plays the test of the hole sloppily but makes bogey.

Hole 8 DC/DC +3
A par-3 up into a canyon. DC hits his tee shot left of the green about pin high. NE was in the right front bunker, and takes two strokes to get out of the bunker. DC chips down about 4 feet from the hole, but he misses the par putt, making bogey. But NE took a double.

Hole 9 NE/DC +2(*)
Another stroke hole here. DC hits a fairway finder up the middle, but NE takes an iron and blasts one down the right-center past my drive. We were both on the green, and both make par. NE wins the hole with his stroke.

Hole 10 NE/DC +1
NE missed the green left on the par-3, and DC hit a weak iron to the right front of the green. NE chipped up to within 5 feet, and DC’s putt rolls past the hole about 6 feet. DC misses - NE makes a sidehill slider right in the middle.

Hole 11 DC/DC +2
Short par-4 dogleg with a semi-blind tee shot. It surprised me that NE is again hitting driver, flying the bunkers and the cart path straightaway and winding up on a teebox for hole number 12. DC’s hybrid was in the center of the fairway. The blue flag was tucked on the left side behind the big swale that divides the green. DC hits an iron on the upper shelf above the hole. NE’s 2nd shot catches a tree limb and falls in the greenside bunker, and then his bunker shot is short of the green. DC two-putts for par and NE makes double bogey.

Hole 12 Halve/DC +2
Hole 12 is the long downhill par-5. DC hits 3-wood to come up short of the narrow area between the penalty areas. NE blasted a driver down the right side. DC’s hybrid slid to the left of the fairway bunker, but NE thins his 2nd shot into the penalty area on the right, and dropped for his fourth shot, which was right of the green. DC hit a poor approach punch to the right of the green into the penalty area, but was able to find the ball in a playable position. DC pitched back over the green, taking a chunk out of my sand wedge on a rock at the bottom of the creek bed. Putting it down close DC made a 6, and NE also made 6, so we push on a hole for only the second time today.

Hole 13 Halve/DC +2
Turning around back uphill for a short par-4 with three cross bunkers that always give me fits off the tee. DC is just trying to play to the right of the bunkers, but hits his tee shot directly at the bunker on the right. Somehow it wound up just above the bunker and beyond it. And DC hits a short iron onto the green. NE blasts over the bunkers on his tee shot, and is also on the green just inside of DC. We both had our putts slide past the hole for another push.

Hole 14 NE/DC +1(*)
Long uphill par-4 straightaway. Both of us hit solid drives, but DC has a much longer distance to the hole. DC hits a solid hybrid that rolls into the front area of the green. NE hits a shorter club that comes up on the front edge. NE then hits 70-foot putt that stops 2 inches from the hole. DC again leaves his long put well short, but manages to make a 10-footer for the par. With his stroke, NE wins the hole, and DC’s overall margin is now 1, with the back nine lead with NE.

Hole 15 DC/DC +2
Now we turn around downhill for a straightaway par-4 where you have to avoid the right side. NE hits driver with a little bit of a draw and it rolls down near the 14th fairway. DC hits his squarely down the middle. NE’s wedge comes up just short of the green. DC hits his poorest shot of the day, dunking a short iron into the right greenside bunker. However, DC stuns himself and the crowd by coming out of the bunker to within 2 feet of the hole. NE’s chip is short and he misses his putt.

Hole 16 Halve/DC +2(*)
This uphill tee shot across the arroyo always gives me fits. DC hit a fairly solid drive, but I think there’s some negative run-out after the ball got up in the fairway, and DC still has 178 yards in! NE tries to hit the 5th green at Champions Club with his drive but winds up high on the hill somewhere between. He hits another drive up the left center. DC punches a 4-iron that he doesn’t expect to reach the green, but it just keeps rolling on the hard turf, winding up in the middle of the green on the left side, down in the bowl. (And, of course, a long way from the hole, on the right side of the green in the middle.) NE pitches to about 12 feet. Again, DC’s approach putt is woefully short, and he misses the second putt, resulting in a bogey. NE misses his putt, but with the stroke the hole is halved.

Hole 17 DC/DC +3
You don’t want to be long on this short par-3 hole, and there’s a back pin. DC hits a solid 8-iron that winds up hole-high left of the pin. NE caught his iron a little thin and it zipped over the back and was gone. He hit another ball to the back fringe. Of course, DC misses his short putt, but pars. That closed out the 18-hole match 3&1. NE commented that he needed to win the 18th to get a half point.

Hole 18 DC/DC +4
DC drives to the fairway on the left center. NE, trying to get everything he can out of his drive, thins it into the lake. Then he hits a second ball down the center. DC hits a fairly weak shot over the lake, but had only a wedge to the front pin and leaves himself with a downhill putt for par. DC makes par, closing out the back nine and the match.

Match Result: 3 - DC, 0 - NE

• Points for Front 9: 1 - DC (2 Up for Front 9)
• Points for Back 9: 1 - DC (2 Up for Back 9)
• Points for Match: 1 - DC (3&1 for 18 Holes)

Nick started solid but found some penalty areas later on the front nine and was up and down during the back end of the round. I hit the ball pretty solidly and was able to overcome a few three-putts and the stroke margin. Nick is always a pleasure to play with and we enjoyed playing with Gary and Steve as well. Thanks to Johnny for setting up this Guru meeting.

[[Edited by dconnally on Thursday February 27, 2020 9:50 PM]]
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #93727 - This was a reply to message #93724
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Thursday February 27, 2020 6:50 PM
QUOTED  Hole 13: Another par 5 where two completely different path result in short iron third shots. JK62 hits his third SO FAT. "How fat was it?" It was so fat that Marie Osmond walked out to the divot and tried to sell it Nutrisystem. Luckily it was also so fat that it never reached the creek between us and the green. K7 tops his third in a way that it actually hops over the creek and begins climbing the embankment on the other side like a motorcycle in the widowmaker hill climb. It finally runs out of gas 5 feel from the hole.... The birdie misses but the par is good enough to win the hole. K7 +5 +2

Awesome review! That paragraph alone was worth a half point!!
 Message #93728 - This was a reply to message #93723
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Thursday February 27, 2020 10:09 PM
Finally got my first match in on a beautiful day with GKers in Corona Wednesday!

My color commentary will not get any awards...

JohnnyGK (9.2) vs. Allan_Grant (12.1) @ Eagle Glen Blue/Black Combo Tees

Hole winner/holes for the side. ** Stroke holes

Hole 1 JohnnyGK/JohnnyGK +1
Hole 2 JohnnyGK/JohnnyGK +2
Hole 3 Allan_Grant/JohnnyGK +1
Hole 4 Halve/JohnnyGK +1
Hole 5 Halve/JohnnyGK +1 **
hole 6 Halve/JohnnyGK +1
Hole 7 Allan_Grant/AS
Hole 8 Halve/AS
Hole 9 Allan_Grant/Allan_Grant +1 (wins front nine) **
Allan makes a great comeback to win the front 9. Allan_Grant 1 point - JohnnyGK 0 points

Hole 10 JohnnyGK/AS/JohnnyGK +1
Hole 11 Halve/AS/JohnnyGK +1
Hole 12 JohnnyGK/JohnnyGK +1/ JohnnyGK +2
Hole 13 Allan_Grant/AS/JohnnyGK +1
Hole 14 JohnnyGK/JohnnyGK +1 / JohnnyGK +2
Hole 15 JohnnyGK/JohnnyGK +2 / JohnnyGK +3
Hole 16 Allan_Grant/JohnnyGK +1/ JohnnyGK +2 **
Hole 17 Allan_Grant/AS/JohnnyGK +1

Feeling like another Allan comeback...

Hole 18 JohnnyGK (gets his first and only birdie)/JohnnyGK +1 (wins match)/JohnnyGK +2 (wins back nine)

• Points for Front 9: 1 - Allan_Grant
• Points for Back 9: 1 - JohnnyGK (+2 holes)
• Points for Match: 1 - JohnnyGK (+1 holes)

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Thursday February 27, 2020 10:10 PM]]
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #93734 - This was a reply to message #93251
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Saturday February 29, 2020 8:36 PM
Met with First FlightFX-101 at Yucaipa for our match. First want to say I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Chuck and playing a round with him. Solid golfer and really nice guy. We both played the white tees and I spotted him 5 strokes.
Hole 1 we both pull our tee shots left. Me in the bunker he went all the way to the fence. We play pretty even but I manage a bogey to his double. SB +1
Hole 2 we halve with solid pars. SB +1
Hole 3 we take different routs him short me long but again halve with bogies. SB +1
Hole 4 Chuck gets a stroke. I hit a good tee shot and he misses fairway right but our approaches are even. I make double and he makes bogie so wins even without the stroke. Match even.
Hole 5 another stroke hole.Again he wins without the stroke. Chuck up +1 .
Hole 6 is another stroke hole but I hit a really nice drive and he goes right and gets a tough lie. One of the only times he hit a bad shot and ended up with a 7 to my 5. Match even!
Hole 7 Chuck makes another solid par and I bogey. Chuck +1
Hole 8 Chuck hits short I am pin high but off the green. Another chunked chip for Chuck and I win with a par to his triple. Match even.
Hole 9 We drive close to the same range but I hit long he puts it short right. A couple ugly shots for both but I win with a bogey to his double. SB +1

Hole 10 my drive goes in the bunker and end up long with a terrible lie. Chuck hits a great approach but 3 putts and I send my third well past the hole and make triple. Match even Chuck +1 on back
Hole 11 Chuck gets in trouble off the tee and makes a nice recovery. I hit an awesome drive but come up short on my approach. We both make bogey but Chuck gets a stroke so wins the hole. Chuck +2 for back +1 match.
Hole 12 Chuck struggles getting out of the bunker and makes an 8. I have a bogey. Chuck +1 back, match even.
Hole 13 Chuck has another bunker disaster and I manage a bogey to his double. Even on back, SB +1.
Hole 14 Chuck makes another amazing flop shot and makes par I bogey. Chuck +1 back, match even.
Hole 15 last stroke hole. Chuck makes double but I have a triple. Chuck +2 back, +1 match.
Hole 16 Chuck has a rare bad chip and makes double to my bogey. Chuck +1 back , match even.
Hole 17 again we play neck and neck and both make bogey. Chuck +1 back, match even.
Hole 18 Chuck has his only bad tee shot and I crush my drive through the fairway. His second hits the trees so I play safe and punch out into the fairway. Though we both had some ugly shots we halve with doubles. Chuck +1 back, match even.

Final tally Steve 1 point front 9
Chuck 1 point back 9
Both 1/2 point for match!
 Message #93757 - This was a reply to message #93734
FirstFlightFX-101
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q, Oak V

Saturday February 29, 2020 11:34 PM
It was a pleasure to meet and admire Steve and Chris(cpennbo) today, over a nice round of golf. This was a great back and forth duel. The greens weren't holding that well today, otherwise this match would've been all Steve. To date, 4 matches, meeting 5 GKers, all great people...and sportsman alike.
Cheers,
 Message #93763 - This was a reply to message #93757
lotrgolfer48

GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Tommy Fleetwood
Favorite Golf Course:
    Chambers Bay

Sunday March 1, 2020 11:43 AM
Match between Sr714 (SR) and lotrgolfer48 (lotr) complete from GC of California. I played the blues while SR played from the whites and was getting 18 strokes.

Hole 1: I led off up the right side. SR safe up the left side with some nice ground fade. I find my ball near the wooden fence under a pile of leaves and have to punch out. SR short with his second. I was short with my third. SR to the back of the green in 3. I pitch to concession range. SR 2-putts for the win. SR 1 Up

Hole 2: SR up the right side and safe. LOTR up the middle. SR lays up on the right side near the end of the fairway. I go for the green in two and it's on a decent line a little right of the green... we think. Seriously, this green cannot be seen until you're about 100 yards out. SR chunks his third into the creek and plays his fifth into the front bunker. My second shot ended up just over the green and I pitch to 4 feet. SR splashes out and 2-putts. I make and win the hole. AS

Hole 3: Both of us drive into the fairway up the left-center. SR's second heads into the penalty area right. I hit to the back of the green. SR drops and hits his 4th just over the green. Sr's hybrid bump and run comes out a little fluffy and catches a ridge leaving 20 feet or so for double. I 2-putt to take the hole. LOTR 1Up

Hole 4: I drive up the right side. SR drives nervously towards the left trees. We find SR's ball with a great angle but a scruffy lie. I hit my second to 20 feet. Sr's second comes out soft and short of the green. SR pitches to 25 feet and 2-putts. I do the same for a halve. LOTR 1Up

Hole 5: Two great tee shots onto the left-most tier. Two 2-putts. AS

Hole 6: SR into the penalty area right of the fairway. LOTR 3w up the middle. SR drop and advances third up the fairway. LOTR second leaves 120 from a divot. SR finds the front left rough between the green and bunker in 4. I wedge to 15 feet in 3. SR's chip runs hot and over the green. His putt from off the green is basically straight downhill and failed to throw out an anchor on the way past the hole. I make my birdie to take the hole. LOTR 1Up

Hole 7: Pin was front and we both hit tee shots onto the left section. Two scary downhill putts later left LOTR 6 feet and SR 4 feet for pars. I make, SR miss. No blood. LOTR 1Up

Hole 8: I hit my best drive of the year center-center leaving 100 in. SR flares well right and hits a provisional to the end of the left fairway. We end up finding SR's first in the middle of the right fairway (Friendly squirrel? Fortunes of gravity? We may never know.) SR's second into the greenside bunker. I hit safely to 25 feet. SR splashes out past the hole leaving an interesting 30 foot side-hill nightmare. His putt lacks pace leaving 8 feet, albeit straight up the hill. I hit a horrific putt leaving a 4 foot slider. We both make those testers to halve the hole. LOTR 1Up

Hole 9: LOTR to the RIGHHHHHHHHHT! SR great ball up the middle. I find my ball next to a sprinkler box right of the cartpath, drop, and send a great 3-iron in the general direction of the green only to hear a golfer most dreaded sound... a single knock (*cue sad music*). SR draws an iron brilliantly into the middle of the green. SR helps me find my ball near the edge of the small forest short right of the green. I blast a lob wedge out as well as I possible could have leaving just 6 feet for par. ALL FOR NAUGHT as SR simply 2-putts to win the hole and halve the side. AS

Hole 10: Both of us go up the right side. Both of us lay-up. SR's 3rd hooks left, hits an oak, and falls somewhere into the creek crossing the fairway. My 3rd is safely on but not very close. SR drops and send his 5th just off the green. SR putts down leaving a bit of change. I 2-putt to win the hole. LOTR 1Up

Hole 11: I hit my drive up the left and safe. SR deep up the right and safe. I hit a woeful 7-iron chunky and short left. SR safely on. I pitch to 12 feet and miss. SR 2-putts. AS

Hole 12: Two tee shots into the fairway. I spray an 8-iron onto the lower right tier leaving nothing but impossibility putting to the upper left tier. SR hits his second just left of the green. I run my exploratory effort 10 feet by. SR hybrids down to the green. I need to make to have any hope for a halve and I don't. SR 1 Up

Hole 13: SR up the left onto a divot sand mound. LOTR up the right. At this point the wind is playing tricks on me and I send my second over the green leaving an impossible pitch back. SR doesn't make clean contact but his ball just keeps rolling to just short of the greenside trap. I pitch to 10 feet. SR tries to bump his into the hillside but it just keeps going over the green left. SR putts down to get on the green. SR 2-putts for double. I 2-putt for my 3rd bogey in a row... yaaaayyyyy... SR 1 Up

Hole 14: SR tops one up the middle, reaching the fairway. I go up the right side in the fairway. SR's second just sneaks into the left rough. I lay-up to 100 yards. SR's third heads right and ends up over long right of the green. I wedge on to 15 feet. SR's first effort gets caught in the rough and next scoots past the hole some 30 feet. His putt for bogey come up short. I 2-putt to win the hole. AS

Hole 15: Dead downwind and we both drive well just sneaking into the left rough. My second is just long onto the fringe. SR is just short on the fringe. Two 3-putts. SR 1 Up

Hole 16: SR comes up short to the front pin. I hit a good tee ball to 12 feet. SR a little firm with his pitch to 20 feet. We both 2-putt from there. SR 1 Up

Hole 17: SR drives well, up the right side. I crush one up the middle. SR weak right with his second. I hit gap wedge to a foot and a half for a conceded birdie. SR short with his third, then ship to 6 feet for his fourth. AS

Hole 18: For all the marbles I tee off first and hit a solid 3-iron that just creeps over the green into the rough about a foot. SR's tee shot is hit well, but right, and finds the lake. SR drops, then pitches to the front of the green. His fourth leaves about 7 feet for double. I belly a wedge out of the rough to two and a half feet. SR makes. I make. LOTR 1Up

Front 9: AS
Back 9: LOTR 1Up
Total: LOTR 1Up

LOTR 2.5 - SR 0.5

[[Edited by lotrgolfer48 on Sunday March 1, 2020 11:44 AM]]

[[Edited by lotrgolfer48 on Sunday March 1, 2020 3:47 PM]]
 Message #93769 - This was a reply to message #93251
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Sunday March 1, 2020 6:10 PM
The match between Alex326 and Mpisarski01 was contested at Spyglass Hill on 2/29/20

For those of you following the “Color Commentary” of the GK 15, this match was being billed as the “David vs Goliath” duel as Matt is the super looooong hitting behemoth power hitter and Alex being… well a skinny old cyclist. For those not following the color commentary of the GK cup, it doesn’t really matter because you’re probably not reading this either.

The battle was contested at Spyglass Hill, second on Alex’s all time favorite course list. This was the first time playing The Glass for Matt so definitely home field advantage for Alex. The big question was would history repeat itself....

The .5 point for best dressed award easily went to Alex as he showed up in white pants with a brand new blue Pebble Beach shirt that perfectly matched the white and blue Foot Joy shoes. (it took me two attempts to find the perfect blue to match). To complete the ensemble, Alex had matching blue water bottle and special addition blue and white Chrome Soft Truvis golf ball. Just to make sure not to have a tie in the wardrobe award after last weeks close call with DeepSea14, Alex stopped by the pro shop in the morning on the way to the course and bought a SIM 3 wood just to have a club to match the outfit.

Meanwhile, Matt showed up ready to rock saying he was going to let his clubs do the talking, casually mentioning driving the second hole Par 4 green the previous day at Carmel Valley Ranch. With is 4 IRON!

Weather was clear but a 1 club wind to be dealt with. Mainly just on the opening hole. Joining us for the match were Gregholla and Alex Pisarski. For the match, Alex was getting 3 strokes.

A bad opening hole for Matt followed by a tap in par for Alex on the second hole had Alex two up early. It was a bad day for the back up putter and a missed short putt on hole three by Alex resulted in the hole being halved.

Matt one his first hole on the 4th hole with a monster drive that left him with a Lob wedge in for an easy two putt par. The 5th hole is another par 3 and I have more pars and birdies on that hole than any other on the course. A perfect tee shot gave me 10 feet for birdie which skirted the edge but I won the hole with a par.

With a tailwind on hole 6, Matt hit it so far it landed in another zip code. I ended up in the bunker on my second shot and believe Matt made par but he easily won the hole as I struggled coming out of the bunker.

Going into the 7th hole, Alex was 1 up. Alex won the next three holes all with different results. On the 7th, Matt lost his tee shot right and had to take a drop. Alex made par on the 8th, and then won on the 9th with a pitch and 2 putt bogey while Matt struggled with his chip shots around the green and made double bogey.

At the turn Alex326 was 4 up and wind the other .5 point for the front nine to secure the full point for the front nine. If there are any idiots out there that actually think we award a half point for best dressed or course selection for that matter, you can relax and cancel your appointment with your cardiologist it’s only a joke.

On to the back nine and it was a much closer battle. Matt’s driver was still bombing it waaay down the fairway but also his putter was on fire. Twice he sank putts well over 40 feet.

The back nine started with players trading wins on holes 10 and 11 then both players sticking tee shot close on the par 3 twelve hole. The putter of Alex failed to deliver has his birdie putt once again skirted the edge but ran 5’ past the hole. Matt safely two putted for par and Alex missed the comeback putt.

Matt’s driver continued to deliver securing a couple more holes while Alex had a couple more 3 putt bogeys to keep the match alive. On the 16th hole it looked like the match was all but over when Matt’s second shot went into the hazard. However, he sank a 45’ putt to put the pressure on. Alex laid up on the second shot wedged on and safely two putted for bogey but with it being a stroke hole closed out the match 3&2.

Still to be decided was the final point for the back nine. Matt was 1 up on the back nine heading into the 17th. Alex used the new 3 wood to lay up on the relatively short par 4 and Matt… Not quite but close, Drove it to about 20 yards. Matt got up and down to snag not only the final point of the match (2&1 on the back) but steal the birdie chain from Gregholla who took it on the 11th hole.

Final points

Alex 2 points 1 – front nine; 1- overall
Matt 1 point back nine

It’s always enjoyable to watch the bombers blast the ball 300 yards down range and I was impressed how “relaxed” Matt was for playing a match at such a fantastic course that he was playing for the first time. You can tell Matt is a lifelong competitor where the pressure of a competition doesn’t faze him.

We grabbed some lunch at Spanish Bay where Matt posed with the birdie chain for some pictures I posted on the GK App. Then we enjoyed a super fun afternoon round in the high high wind at Spanish Bay. I took back the birdie chain for about 12 holes then Matt snatched it up with a chip in birdie on 14.

That’s all I have for now. I need to start working on securing my half point against Roarksown1. He always comes dressed to impress….. ??
 Message #93771 - This was a reply to message #93769

Listing 51 to 60 of 142 Replies

PAGES: 15 4 5 6 7 8

[ Community Page ]