Please post ALL GK Cup 15 Match Play Results here
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Please post ALL GK Cup 15 Match Play Results here

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 61 to 70 of 142 Replies

PAGES: 15 5 6 7 8 9
mpisarski01
RE: Please post ALL GK Cup 15 Match Play Results here
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday March 2, 2020 10:39 AM
It was a blast playing Alex326 at Spyglass. Huge shout out for the deal of the century to play. The first two holes my mind was more on the views and conditions rather than the match and I blew them up with a 10 and 8 to start the round. I settled after that and it was a fun back and fourth round. If I can snag up some more points and can make it to the final four ill be glad to challenge anyone at spyglass.
 Message #93778 - This was a reply to message #93771
t8fish
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Monday March 2, 2020 2:09 PM
T8fish / Kevin (me) and Kviser / Kevin played our GK Cup match Saturday, 2/29, over at Hansen Dam. Pace was slow but otherwise very nice conditions for a fair test. If you just want the results, jump to the end of the write up. Otherwise, my writing the report is not an necessarily an indication of me winning and you can read through the report with the appropriate level of suspense.

Hole 1, Par 4
Kviser leads off with a drive to the right side; lands his approach on the left side of the green far enough away to result in a 3-putt. T8fish drives left to about 150 yds just off fairway in light rough. Seven iron to about 20 feet left, pin high, blue flag. Two putt par.
T8fish 1 up

Hole 2, Par 5
T8 hits good drive to left fairway. Overcooks a three wood to thick rough well left of green on second. Juicy third shot is short of green but with less punishing lie, with next shot chipped on to about eight feet and two putt for bogey. Kviser hit a fine drive to the middle of the fairway, leaving about 220 to the green. Tops a 3-wood to about 45 yards, then hozel rockets right, but comes up with a really nice chip on and one putt for par. 
AS

Hole 3, Par 4
Kviser hits long drive to right rough. Second shot comes up short in the bunker, hits on and two putts for bogey. T8 hits weak drive to left fairway about 175 out, then five iron to just short of left green front, missing Kviser’s bunker. Five iron uphill putt is well onto the green but also well short of white flag. Two more putts for bogey.
AS

Hole 4, Par 3
T8 hits seven iron online, on the green and about 25” short of blue flag. Good first putt uphill leads to two putt par. Kviser misses to right rough almost pin high, makes nice downhill chip on from awkward lie, and two putts for bogey.
T8fish 1 up

Hole 5, Par 4
T8’s pulled driver catches trees in left rough and ball deposited there. Second shot a well struck five iron but still too left and still in rough, leaving about 100 yds. Wedge to green center and two putts back to the red flag for bogey. Kviser elects to hit a nice three wood off the tee to the right side fairway in light rough, about 150 out. He hits a nice 7-iron to the green below the hole and two putts for a clean par.
AS

Hole 6, Par 5
Kviser again takes three wood, but popped up and shorter than he would have liked. Another three wood to about 150 (rough?) and 8-iron to just short of short of the green. A really nice chip to the hole leaves a tap in par. T8 also starts with three wood which is topped and barely makes fairway. Second shot three wood is strong but in right rough. Third shot fades right, short of the green about 60 yds from the pin. A poor wedge comes up short of green near Kviser’s ball. A weak chip well short of the white flag leaves two putts to a final seven, double bogey.
Kviser 1 up

Hole 7, Par 3
Kviser hits 7-iron to the front of the green and three putts to the blue flag for bogey. T8 hits what seems like a well struck seven iron at the pin that gets knocked down by the breeze, surprisingly just short of the green. First putt from off the green is well short and it takes two more to make bogey.
Kviser 1 up

Hole 8, Par 4
Kviser hits driver to the right side rough. Blocked by the tree line, he punches out but short. Third shot is on and two putt for bogey. T8 hit a weak driver but it is in the fairway. Fairway wood fades to rough about 30 yds right of red pin. A very nice lofted pitch leaves a get-able four foot putt, made for par.
AS

Hole 9, Par 4
T8 slices a hard drive into the right tree line where it drops. Very poor punch shot attempt advances the ball but not much and still in the tree line. Third shot is a good punch across to left, light rough near 100 yd marker. Wedge approach to white pin fades well off to right rough, about pin high. A very nice pitch to concession range, but still a double bogey six. Kviser hits driver to the right side in trees, successfully punches out, makes a nice approach and two putts for bogey.
Kviser 1 up and takes the front nine for a point.

Hole 10, Par 4
Kviser takes 6-iron to the fairway; gap wedge to the top of the hill but short of the green; an uncharacteristic hozel rocket through to right of the green, chip on and two putts to blue flag on right side for a double. T8 hits seven iron to about 100 yds, middle of the fairway. Nine iron up the hill to left green, and two putts across the green for par.
T8fish 1 up on the back / AS for the match

Hole 11, Par 4
T8 hits mediocre but effective five wood that fades to center fairway about 130 yds out. Eight iron uphill to green center, and two putts back to red flag for par. Kviser hits three wood to the right rough; pulls approach left and over the green by 40 yards, pitches back on and two putts for bogey.
T8fish 2 up / 1 up for the match

Hole 12, Par 5
T8 hits decent faded driver to fairway center followed by his best three wood of the day. Unfortunately, subsequent approach shot drifts right, just off green about pin high to the white flag. Putt over small hump onto green drifts left, away from hole, leaving a five-footer to save par. which is missed for bogey. Kviser drives long to the right side rough; 3 wood to the right side rough; wedge on and two putt for off-line but methodical par.
T8fish 1 up / AS for the match

Hole 13, Par 4
Kviser drives to right rough. He then duffs a 6 iron, pitches over the green, chips to just off the back edge of the green near the blue flag and two putts for double. T8’s hard three wood tee shot gets a little lucky, sneaking under and past a tree just off the left corner of the fairway and ending up unobstructed in light rough about 170 yds out. Second shot six iron has a line for the pin and rolls up to mid-green, but well short of the flag. Two putts taken for par.
T8fish 2 up / 1 up for the match

Hole 14, Par 5
T8 hits a good drive to right/center fairway. Second shot is a very poorly hit three wood that yanks well left but has so much slice on it that it curls back right to the general line of the fairway and advances to about 100 yds, near fairway edge in the left rough. Wedge to green center, right of red flag. First putt is quick and trundles down and past the hole to about three feet. Second putt feels good, looks good, and then dips in from the right edge, does the full 360º and pops out of the hole in the direction it came from, about three inches from the hole. Bogey. Kviser drives to left rough, hits 8 iron to about 45 yards, pitches on and takes two putts for par.

Hole 15, Par 3
T8 hits seven iron into the breeze drops onto the green about 20 ft right of white flag. Something he’s never seen, it actually danced when it hit. Kviser hits nice shot with a touch of draw to green, about 30 ft left of the pin. Both putt to good/good range for dual pars.

Hole 16, Par 4
Kviser tees off with three wood to the fairway, gap wedges on in two and two putts for par. T8’s four iron tee shot flirts with water hazard in the left corner of this hard dogleg left, manages to just miss right of it and bounce/roll through tree line to the fairway, inside 100 yds. He then blows his good fortune by skulling the uphill second shot to cart path well beyond the green — short-sided to a downhill blue flag. After drop, first pitch is well short, second is on the green to about four feet, but two putts later a double bogey.
AS / Kviser 1 up for the match

Hole 17, Par 3
Kviser hits a 9 iron just short of the green and about 20 yds left of the very red pin. He chips on hot and has to two putt back for his bogey.T8 brain-farts and miscalculates his club selection, overcooks a seven iron long and left, but still just on the edge of the large green. First long putt is weak, resulting in two more putts to get to bogey.
AS / Kviser 1 up for the match

Hole 18, Par 4
Kviser pushes his drive right into a big tree that spits the ball down and clear. His second is a hybrid from 224 that goes left to the rough and then he hits short on a 45 yard approach. Chipping on from there he two putts for double. T8 hits a well struck driver that just catches the second fairway bunker on the left corner of this soft dogleg left. He follows with a nice five iron sand shot, on line with the flag, but rolls up about 10 yds short of the green surface. A good pitch ends up about pin high of the white flag but drifts left, leaving a tricky six foot backside curler for par, which is missed. Return is conceded for bogey.

The match was a study in equity. No strokes were given, on the respective nines the lead was never more than one hole on the front and only stretched to two-up for the back nine on two holes. The overall match score was never more than a 1-up lead either way at any point, with four lead changes (two each), and nine holes resulting in all-square. Neither of us were brilliant, but we both played just below our handicaps with reasonably solid rounds. There were no birdies. Kviser is a scrappy competitor who is never out a hole, and a nice guy to play golf with. He’s a stalwart GKer and I enjoy his company every time I play with him. Probably a frustrating outcome for both of us, nonetheless probably a very fair one. Thanks for the round, Kevin.

Final result:
Front 9 to Kviser, 1 Up for 1 GK point
Back 9 to T8fish, 1 Up for 1 GK point
Match ended All Square, .5 points to each for the tie and a total of 1.5 GK points for each.

[[Edited by t8fish on Thursday March 12, 2020 2:16 PM]]
 Message #93783 - This was a reply to message #93778
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Monday March 9, 2020 9:13 AM
The match between Roarksown1 (RB) and Mpisarski (MP) was completed yesterday at Sun City West Deer Valley. MP came in at 13.1 and RB came in around 14. Robert got a stroke on hole 6 and we both played the tips.

For those who like apparel update I was wearing a blue polo with beige shorts Robert was wearing a beige/gray shirt with grey shorts.

Hole 1 Par 4- both players take less than driver off the tee MP was topped a little but had good roll out. MP goes a little long RB goes a little right MP chips on and makes par RB chips on and 2 putts for bogey. MP+1

Hole 2 Par 3- MP hits green but is 30+ feet RB misses the green MP two putts for par RB chips on real close and make par MP+1

Hole 3 Par 4-Both players hit fairway but miss the green RB chips on and two putts and Mp chips on and one putts MP +2

Hole 4 Par 5- MP sets the new Long drive Rb misses fairway. Both layup RB hits the green MP hits green side bunker. Sand is thin and MP plays tennis over the green a few times while RB makes par MP +1

Hole 5 Par 3- Both players miss the green RB scrambles for a par MP makes bogey. MP/RB AS

Hole 6 Par 4 (RB Stroke)- MP bombs a drive 320 yards and hits GIR with 2 putt par. RB tops drive and makes 3 putt double MP +1

Hole 7 Par 4- MP makes another par with a 1 putt Rb make s bogey MP +2

Hole 8 Par 5- Both hit FIR and layup. MP hit GIR two putt par RB makes bogey MP +3 and wins front nine 3&1

Hole 9 Par 4- MP misses FIR Rb hits FIR Robert has a little rampage after a poor iron and chip MP hits it close to green chip on and 1 putt. MP+4

Matt goes out in a 39 with 13 putts Robert with a 44 with 17 putts MP 4 up and secures a point

Hole 10 Par 4- Robert still heated and tops a drive but hits FIR then chunks a approach. MP pulls left and punches onto fairway MP makes a 2 putt bogey RB with 3 putt double. MP+1 (+5 overall)

Hole 11 Par 4- Both miss fairway MP 2 putt bogey RB 2 putt Bogey. MP+1 (+5 overall)

Hole 12 Par 4- Both players hit GIR both two putt par. MP+1 (+5 overall)

Hole 13 Par 5- MP hits rake and bounces into fairway missing LD by 5 yards RB hits over the street and has a dirt lie. No white stakes I told him he can play it or take lateral. RB hits but tops it ball bounces on road but hits curb across the street and shoots back across the road then hits concrete wall to come to rest on the course side in the gutter. He takes relief and 3 putt 9. RB is in full rampage mode. MP Makes par with a 1 putt.
MP +2 (Wins Overall 6&5)

Hole 14 Par 3- Both players hook left RB is still fuming and hits short of the green MP lands on fringe. Rb 2 putt double MP 1 putt bogey.
MP +3 (+7 overall)

Hole 15 Par 5- Rb goes left to sand MP hits FIR both layup MP GIR and 1 putt Birdie For the win

MP wins back 4 & 3 and (+8 overall)

MP all 3 points

This match was a lot of fun but it came down to MP's putting with 27 putts and shot 81 to Roberts 91. The hungover me kept emotions low due to lack of energy and just stayed smart with shots. Its always fun to play with Robert as we give each other a lot of flack and trash talk which is the best part of the match play.
 Message #93851 - This was a reply to message #93251
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Monday March 9, 2020 4:30 PM
The second that I saw Matt show up at Sun City yesterday, I could tell he'd been out for a heater the night before. He had all the swagger of Louis Winthorpe III in a Santa Claus outfit on Christmas Eve.

My first thought was that, despite my bad back being neutralized with a Tylenol/Advil concoction of epic proportions, Pisarski was in the exact condition for me to take complete advantage of his internal devastation. But as we drove our loud, gas-powered cart over to the first tee, I felt the dread of knowing some of MY best rounds came after nights of utter debauchery and poor pre-game prep work. And my fears at that point were well merited.

Matt put on a show of consistency I've rarely seen out of his game and it was awesome to watch. He moved with the agility of a one-legged kangaroo, but he launched up some glorious shots and had the putter in scintillating form to keep dropping par after par after par with only one blowup hole on the front for that steady, smooth 39. As my game disintegrated after a decent start, Matt just kept on keeping on and always managed to get himself back into every hole if he ever was astray off the tee. And again, the putter was on fire. He had a chance on 18 to break 80 but the wheels came off a bit for what I believe was only his second double of the whole round.

I ran into a buzzsaw, plain and simple and there's no way to beat a guy going near sub-80 if your own game is about as sharp as a pink balloon. Matt played great and we had a really good time along with our referee Abbacat. Fun round and good times ... at least the Birdie Chain was some consolation on 18. One takes what one can get ...

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Monday March 9, 2020 4:54 PM]]
 Message #93855 - This was a reply to message #93851
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Friday March 13, 2020 8:13 PM
Roarksown1 v. Alex326 @ Sandpiper.

It was a tale of hot starts for one player, hot finishes for the other, and some back-and-forth Birdie Chain madness in the epic setting against the Pacific Ocean at Sandpiper. The weather, looking grim and foul all morning and not better in the forecast, magically reserved its best four hours of the day just for us as it never rained once during our round, the wind was minimal and temperatures remained pleasant despite the cloudy skies.

We both played the Gold tees with Alex getting a stroke on the #1 handicap hole (#2).

Hole winner/holes for the side. ** Stroke holes

Hole 1 Alex /Alex +1
Hole 2 Halve/Alex +1 **
Hole 3 Alex/Alex +2
Hole 4 Halve/Alex +2
Hole 5 Robert/Alex +1
hole 6 Alex/Alex +2
Hole 7 Robert/Alex +1
Hole 8 Robert/AS
Hole 9 Halve/AS
Robert and Alex both earn .5 points

Hole 10 Alex/Alex +1
Hole 11 Alex/Alex +2
Hole 12 Halve/Alex +2
Hole 13 Alex/Alex +3
Hole 14 Robert/Alex +2
Hole 15 Robert/Alex +1
Hole 16 Halve/Alex +1
Hole 17 Robert/AS
Hole 18 Robert/Robert +1
Robert wins the Back +1

• Points for Front 9: .5 - Alex and .5 - Robert
• Points for Back 9: 1 - Robert (+1 holes)
• Points for Match: 1 - Robert (+1 holes)

Match Recap: 2.5 points Robert, .5 points Alex.

The front nine saw Alex hit some great drives and put himself in solid positions from the start, while I kept pushing my drives right and getting into trouble from the start. Alex's routine par on the par 5 1st hole gave him an early lead, and it was only a very solid recovery shot after I lost my ball in the right rough on the 2nd hole that I managed to halve the hole. Another horrible drive and lost ball put me on the back foot again on the 3rd hole, while Alex found the fairway and green and still won the hole with a three-putt. We both bogey'd the par 3 4th hole and I finally got my first point after a routine par on the par 5 5th hole, besting Alex's bogey. On the first ocean hole, the par 3 6th, I hit a nice shot that found the back of the green, but Alex bested it and dropped in the birdie putt to take the Birdie Chain back that I had won from Matt P last week. I took the next hole though as we both found fairways, but my bogey was one better than Alex's double after he found the bunker. On the 8th hole I decided that I missed the Birdie Chain far too much and promptly hit a solid drive down the left side, found the green and sunk a long 20-footer for the bird. That set up a grandstand front nine finish as we were AS and both hit great drives down the middle. Our approaches were both off the green, but Alex hit his to two feet for the conceded par. My chip was pretty lousy and ran on a good distance, but I somehow found the right line from 15 feet or so and sunk it to keep the front nine even and share the point.

The back nine started off a lot like the first, with Alex jumping back out to an early lead. His three-putt bogey on the 10th hole bested my double after my approach dropped off the right side of the green into the rough. On the signature 11th hole, with the cameras rolling, Alex stepped up and hit a gorgeous shot that landed about six feet left of the hole. My tee shot went left into the bunker, then across the green into the next, so you know how that went. What did Alex do? He missed the Birdie Chain more than me apparently and decided to take it right back by sinking it expertly. We halved the 12th hole and stepped up to the 13th tee along the Pacific. Two nice drives and layups were followed by what I thought were two nice approaches over the barranca, but Alex's was found just off the green while mine was abducted by aliens and I was forced to drop after scouring half of the CA coast with no luck. Alex managed a nice par, while I had to settle for bogey after my drop. On 14, the toughest hole on the back, Alex hit a good drive while I topped mine and had to bust out a long iron into the rough before the green. My lie was pretty poor but I hit my best pitch shot of the day and sunk the long putt for par, while Alex also chipped on nicely and just rimmed out for bogey. I made par on the next hole, the par 5 15th, while Alex went for an adventure into the right rough and settled for double. We both made a mess of 16 to halve that hole, and on 17, I went right, Alex went left, but I found my ball in the rough and Alex did not - bogey beats double and we're AS going to the last hole. It's a par 3 over water and I go a bit long and right off the green, Alex goes a bit left and short. His chip is solid and he's in a great spot to putt for par, while my birdie putt runs down the slope long. Despite my frustration, my putt is true and goes in the hole and Alex then agonizingly misses his putt by an inch. My first lead of the entire day. On 18. It's a crazy game.

Normally rounds with Alex are more about the fashion show with our outfits, but with the poor weather today, we settled more for warmth and practicality than style, although he did get the extra bonus for the Bada-Bing socks that really sold out the rest of the ensemble. As for the match itself, we always have a great time playing together, but it's even better when we play such a fun, competitive match and bring out some of the best in each other. It took two very good finishing putts from me on 9 and 18 to get the points that I probably barely deserved, but that's the way it goes some time. The weather Gods were on our side today as well so it was a super experience and I'm glad I didn't cancel on him in the morning when the rain was pissing down on the way up from LA. We most certainly got our money's worth today and the course was even in really good shape despite the rains, so what more can you ask for? If it's any consolation, Alex's 88 beat my 89 and he did fly that Birdie Chain back north with him, but he definitely would not have been anything but deserving if we had split the points right down the middle. But yeah, golf.

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Saturday March 14, 2020 10:14 AM]]
 Message #93933 - This was a reply to message #93855
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Friday March 13, 2020 9:17 PM
Nice review and some clutch putting. Those par putts on 9 and 18 were remarkable. I’m always in stitches when we play and we always seem to have a close match that comes down to the last hole. Just the way it should be. It’s always nice when the actual competition is as exciting as the banter and build up before hand. Just like racing, it’s not who’s in the lead the longest just who’s in the lead in the end. You picked the perfect time to go up 1.

On top of the fantastic and entertaining round, I’d like to thank you for taking care of the birdie chain for me. It is safely back in its nest!
 Message #93934 - This was a reply to message #93933
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods--- Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Friday March 13, 2020 9:40 PM
Two of the coolest dudes playing my third favorite course..would have loved to have joined you guys if life would have not been in the way..lol. Sounds like you guys had a blast.
Please check my websitegdrgolf instruction click here
 Message #93935 - This was a reply to message #93934
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Saturday March 14, 2020 5:28 PM
Rat-Patrol over Mpisarski01 today at Bernardo heights.

Rat wins front 3up
MP wins back 2up
Rat wins over all 1 up

It came down to putting and unfortunately we played on aerated greens. He just managed them better.
 Message #93946 - This was a reply to message #93251
sbarajasjr
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass & Pasatiempo

Monday March 16, 2020 11:25 AM
GK Cup 15 - Match 29
sbarajasjr (Sal) vs. Alex326 (Alex)
The Links at Spanish Bay - 9:50AM tee-time
White Tees (played by both opponents - 3 strokes given to Sal): 6043/70.4/131

Match Result (points): 2 - Sal, 1 - Alex
• Points for Front 9: 1 - Alex (1 Up for Front 9)
• Points for Back 9: 1 - Sal (4&3 for Back 9)
• Points for Match: 1 - Sal (3&1 for 18 Holes)

Hole by Hole Summary:
1. Par 5 - 461 yards: Sal hits a good drive down left hand side of the fairway. Alex hits his drive right and into the hazard area, having to take a drop after a quick search. Approach shots from both men end up a bit short, but after getting on with a third shot, a two putt par manages to give Sal the first hole in the match. Match and Front 9: Sal 1 Up

2. Par 4 - 265 yards: Neither player hits a good drive on this short par 4. Details escape me as I was still catching my breath from the views, but double bogey was good enough for a push. Match and Front 9: Sal 1 Up

3. Par 4 - 334 yards: Much like the previous hole visually, this one played out far better for Alex with a great drive. Sal went into the hazard and stood no chance after having to drop and making a double after all said and done. Match and Front 9: All Square

4. Par 3 - 160 yards: Memory finally becomes a little clearer on this tight par 3. Sal hits a nice draw that lands on top shelf of green but runs down to second tier. Alex hits his tee shot just left into beach/waste area but is able to find it no problem. Unfortunately the terrain grabbed his club on his second shot and by the time he got close to try for a putt, Sal had made a cleanup par to take the hole. Match and Front 9: Sal 1 Up

5. Par 4 - 385 yards (stroke hole): All that needs to be said about this short par 4 is Sal made a mess of it and Alex was able to easily take this hole with a score far better than mine, even with this being the first stroke hole; ouch!. Match and Front 9: All Square

6. Par 4 - 345 yards: Sal hits a stinger drive towards left hand side of fairway sneaking into a nice lie of immediate cut of rough. Alex hits his ball right but in a good spot. Both men hit approach to fringe area, Alex just a bit further out. A few stumbles getting to the hole from Alex allow Sal to take the hole after par putt just misses. Match and Front 9: Sal 1 Up

7. Par 4 - 382 yards (stroke hole): Alex hits a great drive down the left hand side of the fairway, Sal hits his a bit longer right into the waste area, having to take a drop even after finding his unplayable ball. Alex goes a bit left but is able to take this hole easily after Sal, again wasting the stroke given, puts up a 6 after the penalty. Match and Front 9: All Square

8. Par 3 - 146 yards: Sal and Alex both hit bad tee shots left and lost, having to use the drop area right of the green about 65 yards. Third shots from both men were good, with Alex's being better and Sal blasting his fourth shot down the green; Alex takes the hole and lead going into final hole of front. Match and Front 9: Alex 1 Up

9. Par 4 - 357 yards: Sal drives his ball into the ESA right having to take a drop and essentially handing the front nine to Alex after he hits a good drive. Sal is able to land on the back side of the green on this third shot but makes a mess of the putts and Alex cleans up nicely for the hole, front, and match. Match and Front 9: Alex 1 Up (and takes the front nine)

10. Par 5 - 467 yards: Sal's driver finally wakes up and is able to hit a nice drive on the first cut of rough left, slightly uphill. Alex hits a beauty to the middle-right side of the fairway. Sal's approach looks good but lands in front right green-side bunker. Alex stays on the top part of the hole on approach. Sal hits a good sand shot to about 7 feet but misses the birdie putt and chance at the chain. Par takes the hole after Alex's attention was drawn from his shot to my sand shot. Match: All Square. Back 9: Sal 1 Up

11. Par 4 - 318 yards: Sal hits another good drive leaving only a pitch onto the green. Alex pushes his drive right and is force to punch out, essentially guaranteeing hole goes to Sal after his second shot leaves a 15 foot birdie putt. Again, the chain eludes him and he is conceded a tap-in par. Match: Sal 1 Up. Back 9: Sal 2 Up

12. Par 4 - 406 yards: Very cool par 4 with a forced carry on approach shot. Sal manages to keep streak going and hits good smash all the way down to, but short of, the barranca. Alex's driver keeps fussing and hits drive right. He is able to find his tee shot but has a terrible lie, forcing an awkward second shot short of carry area. Both guys get on green but Sal one shot quicker. A missed par putt leaves a tap in win for the hole, extending overall lead too. Match: Sal 2 Up. Back 9: Sal 3 Up

13: Par 3 - 99 yards: Insanely short but wicked and sloped par 3 with trouble everywhere. Sal hits a draw 60 degree wedge to the left bunker. Alex gets on the dance floor but down a ways leaving a long try for birdie. Alex putts to about 5 feet above the hole leaving a scary par putt try. Sal actually has a sand save from wet sand, makings his curly 6 foot par. Alex forced to make his to ensure he doesn't fall further behind sinks the most clutch putt of the day to push. Match: Sal 2 Up. Back 9: Sal 3 Up

14: Par 5 - 541 yards: Long par 5 even from white tees that Sal drives OB, Alex follows me there. Re-teeing to much better results, Sal lays up on fourth shot to about 100 yards, Alex has a tad more trouble getting to green-side. If memory serves me correctly, I believe Alex and Sal actually end up with same score, but being last stroke hole, Sal takes it with double. Match: Sal 3 Up. Back 9: Sal 4 Up

15: Par 4 - 342 yards: Very tricky short par 4 that wraps around left to right with bunkers everywhere. Alex hits a funky drive off the bad part of the club and goes due left onto first part of fairway, Sal hits a good fade drive to about 60 yards. The bad drive forces Alex to play aggressive on his second shot and hits a beauty just short. Both men miss their par putts and concede each other the bogey for an easy push . Match: Sal 3 Up. Back 9: Sal 4 Up (taking the back nine).

16: Par 3 - 157 yards: Easy little par 3 with trouble left. Sal shanks 52 degree wedge to just off the green, pin high. Alex follows that up with the shot of the day right at the pin, settling just above right to tap in level, which he does for the only birdie of the day and a chance to show off the chain (check GK App for photo). Sal nearly drains the birdie putt from off the green but a tap in par suffices for now and makes the match come down to another hole. Match: Sal 2 Up. Back 9: N/A - already decided

17: Par 4 - 368 yards: With match on the line, Sal loses concentration and hits a bad slice drive right, alerting Alex of his choice to hit a provisional in case original drive was lost. Alex hits a great clutch drive on left side of fairway. Sal is alerted by caddie that his drive is in fact not only found, but fairly playable. Sal hits out of the beach (after alerting Alex of found drive) to the green with ball spinning back some to fringe. Sal putts from off the green to about 6 feet on top level of green, leaving a tricky par putt. Alex has about 13 feet for his bogey, meaning Sal needed to make his to seal the deal. Sal goes first and manages to make the par putt and ensuring the match win with Alex gracefully alerting Sal match is over. Match: Sal 3 Up (securing match win). Back 9: N/A - already decided

18: Par 5 - 510 yards: Alex hits one of his best drives of the day to the right hand side of the fairway, Sal hits another stinger left just outside the bunker. Both men lay up to about 120 yards on the right hand side. Sal's third hits on green but scoots just north of green in rough. Alex goes on the green left, leaving 20+ feet. Both men miss their birdie tries and make the par to end the round. Match: N/A - already decided. Back 9: N/A - already decided

Notes: A huge thanks to Alex for allowing me the chance to play this course with him; he's an excellent resource to have when playing here. The fact we were so focused on the course and having fun instead of bickering over rules and match results made for an excellent day. The weather the day before was good until the evening when it (apparently according the caddie) rained over 1.5", and then again poured from the moment I arrived at 9AM until the moment we teed off at 1, not appearing again until hole 16/17 and went away by the time we were hitting on 18; all in all it was an excellent day given the forecast we had before tee-off. The layout here is fantastic and Alex pointed out in his review, conditions here even after a storm were amazing, I was not disappointed. Walked with Alex using a push cart and it was certainly good exercise. Cart attendant came around at least 5 times. Staff here is what you would expect at a Pebble Beach Co. property; polite, professional, and proud. Food at the restaurant after was very good and fairly priced considering the area. A magnificent match and even better time had by all.

[[Edited by sbarajasjr on Monday March 16, 2020 12:46 PM]]

[[Edited by sbarajasjr on Monday March 16, 2020 1:33 PM]]
 Message #93962 - This was a reply to message #93251
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Monday March 16, 2020 1:09 PM
I swear if I stare at that flag in the picture long enough I can see it fluttering!!
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #93965 - This was a reply to message #93963

Listing 61 to 70 of 142 Replies

PAGES: 15 5 6 7 8 9

[ Community Page ]