Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday March 16, 2020 8:06 PM
That's you fluttering David.
 Message #93968 - This was a reply to message #93965
Alex326
RE: Please post ALL GK Cup 15 Match Play Results here
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Wednesday April 1, 2020 3:49 PM
Finally another GK Match was held today. With everything going on golf has been scarce. Alex326 and Kviser squared off at Kern River GC this morning. Both players scored some point(s) in a match that was a seesaw on the front nine with not a single hole being halved. In the end both players finished with the same ball they started with showing that both players were on target all day long. The BC chain made a couple of appearances as well. Aside from the competition both players were just happy to be out playing golf.

Details and results to come....

So here it is. Kevin and I were itching to get out and play and after a couple of options fell through, we decided that any course would do. Both had Wednesday 4/1/20 available so I found a course in the middle and for $25 we settled on Kern River Golf Course in Bakersfield. Neither of us had played there before so no advantage to either player. Match was played even as both of us are 15.? Handicaps at the moment. This was also a battle of cyclists as Kevin enjoys mountain biking too.

Kevin was the first to tee off on the opening hole which was a par 5. He set the tone with a drive striped down the middle. I hit a nice drive as well but over cooked the dog leg right. Luckily, I had an opening and was easily able to get my 3 wood on it clean and put myself down in the fairway 90 yards or so off the green. Kevin laid up with an iron and blistered it down as far as I hit my 3 wood. I’m still impressed with that shot of his.

My wedge stuck about 2’ feet away for a nice opening hole Birdie! It was obvious that both players were dialed in early!

The next hole was a short Par 3 with the Kern River set as a backdrop. Both players were on the green, Kevin slightly long and right, me slightly short and left. Kevin’s putt rolled to within an inch. I so thought he was going to take the birdie chain back. I unfortunately 3 putted and just like that the match was tied.

Both made a mess of the 3 hole which was a long par 4. I ended up winning the hole but nothing to brag about other than it started off with a great drive.

From there it was seesaw battle for the remainder of the front nine. Not a single hole was halved. Nor did either player have more than a 1 up lead at any time. I was getting it done with my driver and wedges and Kevin was doing battle using his legendary iron play and red hot putter. I struggled with the speed of the greens (they were at a medium-slow speed) with 3 three putts on the front nine. Meanwhile, Kevin was dropping them in like Steph Curry at the free throw line during warm up practice.

It was definitely anyone’s game as both players and a couple of not so great holes. The 9th hole is a long (200 yard) Par 3. Missed the green right and fortunately it was far enough right to miss the bunker too as they were hardpan dirt. Kevin also missed the green to the right but was just off the edge of the fringe.

I hit a great wedge dropping it to about 2’ from the pin. Kevin got his second shot to about 4’ and then proceeded to make a great tricky par putt. I somehow managed to lose concentration and screwed up my putt losing the hole and the point for the front nine.

At the turn it was Kviser -1 up to secure the full point for the front nine.

The back nine started out in a dead heat. Me again with a great drive down the middle and Kevin had a less than stellar drive, then got caught up in the sticky rough but rebounded with a super iron from down town to come up just short of the green. His wedge went about 18-20 feet past the hole and my second shot was just off the green. I chipped to about 8’ and Kevin calmly sank the bogey putt from the 3 point line! I missed my par putt and tapped in to halve the hole. Finally, a halve! It only took 10 holes! Lol. We again halved the hole on the long (225 yard) par 3 11th hole.

Now that things were starting to heat up (the sun was out) it was time to apply some pressure. But who would be first to strike? Things started off as normal. I had a great drive down the middle, and Kevin purred his iron shot from way back. We were both on the green in regulation. Kevin had the longer but uphill putt and I had a 10’ downhill putt. Kevin came up short but made his par. My birdie putt trickled down and had that one last roll in it (thanks to gravity) to drop in for my second and final birdie of the day. It allowed me to win the hole and tie up the match.

It was also a turning of the tide as I finally figured out the speed of the greens. From there I was able to secure the next 4 holes in a row. My driver remained straight as an arrow and with my newfound putting confidence I was able to secure wins with pars and stress free bogey’s. Kevin ended up with some odd lies in the rough that didn’t seem too bad at first glance but as I learned on the 3rd hole the grass was like glue and just grabbed the club. His putter also started to cool off. In the end I won the back nine 4&3 for the full point on the back and won the overall 4&2 for the full point on the overall match. We halved the 17th and then both had blow up holes on the 18th lol.

It was great to get out and enjoy some golf with another GK’er. My Driver was rock solid all day long and once my putter decided to play, I was able to get into a nice rhythm and pull ahead. I’m still super impressed with the distance Kevin gets out of his irons.

Total Points:

Kviser -1 (front Nine)
Alex326 - 2 (1 -back 9, 1- overall)

[[Edited by Alex326 on Wednesday April 1, 2020 9:07 PM]]
 Message #94380 - This was a reply to message #93968
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Thursday April 2, 2020 8:17 AM
Well played a GK cup match and defense of the Birdie Chain with a flash of pizzazz. It ain't bragging if you can do it!

When I get procession of that piece of jewelry I will sing a verse of Bobby Day's "Rockin' Robin" Tweet Tweet!!

When golf gets back to normal, and to get my GK cup matches in I would like to play a round of matches in a short time with a SoCal trip.

Until then...
Continuing my fast of golf.
 Message #94386 - This was a reply to message #94380
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Saturday April 25, 2020 9:37 AM
I vote to push back the First round time line 1 month due to the fact we lost 5-6 weeks. It wouldn't be fair to the people who didn't get to play in the limited time we had before the closures.

Obviously It benefits those who have played 5-6 matches as their point totals will be higher should the players not be able to schedule 6 round in 4 weeks.

[[Edited by mpisarski01 on Saturday April 25, 2020 9:40 AM]]
 Message #94813 - This was a reply to message #94812
caligolfer1031
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Adam Scott, Bubba Watson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Saturday April 25, 2020 12:32 PM
QUOTED  With millions currently not working statewide, numerous potential opponents are likely available because they are off from work currently.

But that doesn't mean that funds aren't tight and money doesn't play a factor in how much golf can be played
 Message #94817 - This was a reply to message #94816
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Saturday April 25, 2020 12:55 PM
My position as a function of time is that Time = Money Does anyone have enough of either? LOL

We have missed time and will continue to make small increments back to normal both golf and other aspects of life.

Extension of 5-6 weeks or whatever is the correct estimation of time should not be considered unreasonable.

Whether a go get-ter or procrastinator the time window remains the same as what the competitor signed up for. Not a condensed rush to play.

The final four schedule is short and simple to complete with two matches, a final and maybe a consolation for 3rd?

Semi final matches begin 6/1/20
1 v 4
2 v 3

and
Final match
 Message #94818 - This was a reply to message #94817
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Saturday April 25, 2020 1:28 PM
QUOTED  Whether a go get-ter or procrastinator the time window remains the same as what the competitor signed up for. Not a condensed rush to play.

Those are my thoughts as well. Seems logical to extend the time frame in general proportion to amount of time golf courses were closed as this was a circumstance beyond participants control.

This is a worthy discussion with Nick having the final say as the organizer.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #94819 - This was a reply to message #94818
sbarajasjr
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass & Pasatiempo

Sunday April 26, 2020 7:01 PM
GK Cup 15 - Matches 31 & 32
sbarajasjr (Sal) vs. roarksown1/GKCupInca (Robert) [Match 31]
sbarajasjr (Sal) vs. Mpisarski01 (Matt) [Match 32]
Hunter Ranch Golf Course - 7:50AM tee-time
Blue Tees (played by all opponents - 4 strokes given to Sal in both matches): 6751/72.1/136

Match Results (points): Match 31: 2 - Sal, 1 - Robert
• Points for Front 9: 1 - Robert (1 Up for Front 9)
• Points for Back 9: 1 - Sal (4&2 for Back 9)
• Points for Match: 1 - Sal (3&2 for 18 Holes)

Match Results (points): Match 32: 2.5 - Sal, .5 - Matt
• Points for Front 9: .5 - Sal/Matt (AS for Front 9)
• Points for Back 9: 1 - Sal (2 Up for Back 9)
• Points for Match: 1 - Sal (2 Up for 18 Holes)

Hole by Hole Summary of Both Matches:
1. Par 4 - 405 yards: All match participants got good drives to start the day; Sal and Robert right side of fairway, Matt left side. Approach shots were good for both Robert and Matt, Sal pushes his right into wooded area/hazard, having to take a drop. Robert chips in (to a raised cup, more on that later) for an amazing birdie, easily taking that hole for Match 31. Matt cleans up after his approach and also takes the hole after Sal duff his rescue chip. Match and Front 9: Robert 1 Up - Match 31; Matt 1 Up - Match 32

2. Par 4 - 434 yards (stroke hole): Matt absolutely crushes one with a slight fade down the middle of the fairway. Sal and Robert both hit them well but into the junk right, both balls sitting up. Robert has a bit of trouble and stays right, Matt goes on the longer side of the hole, Sal lays up to a short pitch but misses the par putt. Stroke hole lets Sal get his point back in both matches after both opponents can't get their par putts to clink. Match and Front 9: AS - Match 31; AS - Match 32

3. Par 3 - 197 yards: Longer downhill par 3 where Matt's tee shot is slightly topped and is hit strongly enough it nearly runs all the way to the green. Rob hits it well but 15 yards right of hole, pin high. Sal hooks a 5 iron about 20 yards but lots of area to hit from. Sal flop shot lands on green and runs off the side. Another chip, another ball that runs off. I can't recall what Matt and Rob did but it was better than my 5 on this hole; matches swing back in favor of opponents. Match and Front 9: Robert 1 Up - Match 31; Matt 1 Up - Match 32

4. Par 4 - 400 yards: Shorter par 4 but uphill with trouble left. Sal hits a good albeit slightly drawn drive about 275 yards. Matt hits a bad drive (for him) just short and right of mine. Rob's drive hooks left into some trouble and I believe even after searching together, had to take a penalty drop. Sal hits a wedge over a large oak in left side of fairway with the ball ending up in the fringe just above the hole. Unsure what Matt or Rob did after their approaches, however my par here took the hole; see-saw tips other way yet again. Match and Front 9: AS - Match 31; AS - Match 32

5. Par 4 - 339 yards: Even shorter par 4 again uphill with trouble on either side. Matt smashes a low burner that clips the first tree in its line and falls straight down. Robert hits his drive left but very playable. Sal manages to hit best drive yet to about 60 yards, following that with a nice chip to about 7 feet. Matt ends up with awkward stance for second shot, topping it because of this and then another bad lie for third shot, this time getting major distance towards the green but right. Robert ends up long left and has to try for a chip in to push after Sal makes his birdie putt and takes first lead in either match. Match and Front 9: Sal 1 Up - Match 31; Sal 1 Up - Match 32

6. Par 5 - 509 yards: Interesting par 5 that doglegs left after about 300 yards. Sal goes first and promptly blows his momentum, hooking yet another drive into a fields of bewildering crud. Robert and Matt hit good drives down the fairway. Robert actually finds Sal's drive while making his way to his, Sal sensibly lays up to about 150 yards. Matt ends up right in his sweet zone to try and go for two but decides to lay up and unfortunately clips the lone tree in his way. Robert manages to end up near the green in two. Some putting mishaps allow Sal's bogey to push the hole against Matt, but Robert capitalizes and gets his match back to all square . Match and Front 9: AS - Match 31; Sal 1 Up - Match 32

7. Par 5 - 586 yards (stroke hole): Monster hole length and layout-wise. Sal hits a bad drive pushed right into a patch of trees, choosing eventually to take a provisional shot from the tee box in case of trouble. Matt smashes a drive down the middle, Robert left of fairway but playable. Sal finds first drive thankfully and punches out next to Matt's drive. Robert tops his second and Sal does same with his third, with both men ending up in the same place. Good fourth shot by Sal to about 120, unable to recall what Matt and Robert do, however by 5th shot both Sal and Robert are in opposite side bunkers flanking the green. If not for stroke hole, no way my awful snowman lets me push against Robert, and actually get a stroke back against Matt!. Match and Front 9: AS - Match 31; AS - Match 32

8. Par 3 - 187 yards: Slightly downhill par 3 where Sal hits a draw long iron around/over an oak and manages to stay on the fringe on top of the hole. Robert actually one-up's him by doing the same thing with better panache and sexier result ending up to within 6 feet I believe. I don't recall Matt's tee shot well but I know it was left a bit. Regardless of what Matt and I do, Robert proceeds to sink his birdie putt to trump my par and Matt's bogey. Match and Front 9: Robert 1 Up - Match 31; Sal Up 1 - Match 32

9. Par 4 - 334 yards: Funky little par 4 that heads back towards the clubhouse on a very slight dogleg right. Sal hits a good drive just right of fairway, onto matted rough short of fairway bunker. Matt and Robert both hit good drives, with Matt getting his approach on the dance floor about 20 feet to cup. Sal's approach goes long of green, Roberts's goes left leaving an awkward chip which he does well with. Matt actually makes the long putt for a birdie if I am not mistaken, easily getting our match back to square in style. Robert manages to match my bogey after a bad putt by Sal and take the front 9 by one stroke. Match and Front 9: Robert 1 Up - Match 31; AS - Match 32

10. Par 4 - 325 yards: Speaking of funky holes, this one may have been the king; short par 4, downhill, with a creek running before the green and trouble left and right. Would be about 300 yards to clear, a.k.a. Matt is gonna nut up and try to drive it, which he does quasi-successfully, at least getting on the correct side of the creek. Robert hooks his tee shot but plenty of room to play with. Sal plays a sensible iron to about 125 in and manages to get the approach on the dance floor. Matt seems to justify his driver decision rather quickly with an amazing chip from thick grass to set up another birdie shot, which he proceeds to make. Sal two putts for par and Robert takes one more stroke than Sal to go down on the back 9. Match 31 Overall: AS, Back 9: Sal 1 Up; Match 32 Overall and Back 9: Matt 1 Up

11. Par 4 - 396 yards: Nasty par 4 with large water feature guarding the green in front. Sal hits a duffed drive to the ladies tees. I forget exactly how Matt and Robert's tee shots played out, but both men had issues on their seconds, either because of a bad shot or ball in bad lie. Robert does find the water unfortunately after searching on the correct side of the green after third shot. Sal lays up to 150 after the bad drive and makes it over water. Matt goes over water as well but only after having to take a penalty before for lost ball. A bogey on this hole from Sal manages to get him closer on both matches. Match 31 Overall: Sal 1 Up, Back 9: Sal 2 Up; Match 32 Overall and Back 9: AS

12. Par 4 - 415 yards (stroke hole): Another tricky par 4 requiring smart play. Sal hits a good drive straight down the right hand side, catching some rough but sitting up. Robert hooks drive a bit and Matt just goes left on his. Both men had some issues down near tree line, however Sal can't capitalize immediately as he loses his second shot into a large patch of trees/nasty grass. Sal's fourth manages to land on green and even though bogey missed, both opponents had issues enough that they couldn't get bogeys to push. Match 31 Overall: Sal 2 Up, Back 9: Sal 3 Up; Match 32 Overall and Back 9: Sal 1 Up

13. Par 4 - 403 yards: Sal hits best drive yet to about 100 yards. Matt matches him just slightly less far and a tad more right, equally good though for approach. Robert has issues off the tee and ends up near the fence lining the out of bounds area left, managing to find his drive on the correct side of said fence. Sal and Matt hit decent approaches, Sal left, Matt right. Sal chips his third short and left leaving a tricky par putt that was missed. Matt can't capitalize as his chip lands just short of fringe before it can release. Robert has trouble after the drive and ends up losing this hole in our match. Match 31 Overall: Sal 3 Up, Back 9: Sal 4 Up; Match 32 Overall and Back 9: Sal 1 Up

14. Par 3 - 186 yards: A visually intimidating par 3 over water and no real visual on flag (if they were up). Sal hits a good 6 iron onto the green. Matt goes short right but avoids water. Robert hits an excellent iron onto the green a bit short-left. Matt ends up in green-side trap with some beach sand he has trouble with. Sal two putts and makes par, Robert matches him with a more difficult and longer putt. Match 31 Overall: Sal 3 Up, Back 9: Sal 4 Up; Match 32 Overall and Back 9: Sal 2 Up

15. Par 5 - 518 yards: A severe dogleg right with a lake on the right hand side. Sal hits a great drive, only to end up at the base of the only tree before the fairway drops towards the hole. Matt hits good drive left of Sal, enough to give him shot at green in two. Robert plays a driving iron smartly to middle of fairway. Sal has to hit a backwards iron just to get distance, then proceeds to hit to 150 marker. After those awful shots, [SCENE MISSING], and both Matt and Robert get a stroke back on match versus Sal. Match 31 Overall: Sal 2 Up, Back 9: Sal 3 Up; Match 32 Overall and Back 9: Sal 1 Up

16. Par 3 - 173 yards: What is supposed to be the easiest hole on the course is quite the opposite, at least for Sal and Robert. Robert chunks his tee shot a bit, Sal goes Captain Hook into an area I'm not sure could even physically explored (thank you lateral hazard markers!). Matt hit his long and right but has a good chip on. Robert, I believe has to take a drop, much like me, both of us making a mess of this hole. Matt easily cleans up to get our match to square. Robert unfortunately cannot recover from his mistakes and loses the hole, the back 9, and unfortunately the match. Match 31 Overall: Sal wins 3&2, Back 9: Sal 4&3; Match 32 Overall and Back 9: AS

17. Par 5 - 544 yards (stroke hole): Last stroke hole of the day. Both Matt and Sal hit smash drives, with Sal's going a bit more right (thus close to hole on this dogleg). Sal hits what he will explain was a lay up to above 100 yards, Matt goes for the win with a mashed 3 wood, pushed right. Sal's fourth shot is on and about 10 feet, making this an easy par and even without the stroke, beats Matt's bogey. Match 32 Overall and Back 9: Sal 1 Up

18. Par 4 - 400 yards: Short par 4 slightly uphill and with strongest wind of the day. All pressure on Matt to win the hole and take half a point may have caused him to nut up and unfortunately top his drive into a hazard in front of various tee boxes. Sal hits a draw into the first cut of rough leaving a wedge in. Matt promptly goes to his drive, but grass is there is octopus tentacles and just grabs his drive unrelentingly. A few shots later, he is up to wedge territory, essentially putting the pressure on Sal to make sure he does no worse than a double bogey, which he doesn't once on the green and his par putts just misses the cup. A tap in seals the remaining match and back 9. Match 32 Overall and Back 9: Sal 2 Up

Notes: This double match came about rather suddenly, but I thank all the participants for their flexibility, understanding, and willingness to drive to a location where golf has been the norm through all this COVID-19 craziness. Please know, every precaution was taken today by Hunter Ranch, including raised cups with no flag sticks, no rakes, etc. and they are a well oiled machine. Also, the participants today were also respectful of all precautions, taking individual carts, staying a safe distance away, and generally practicing common sense in every way imaginable. This was not taking lightly and was only put into action as a match once the status of environment allowed us to do it safely. First time playing Hunter Ranch for both Matt and I, and we both loved it. Great layout with nice ambiance, good conditions, and an excellent pace today with a full tee sheet. Thanks to my opponents!

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Monday April 27, 2020 10:46 AM]]

[[Edited by sbarajasjr on Tuesday April 28, 2020 6:19 AM]]
 Message #94838 - This was a reply to message #93251
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Monday April 27, 2020 8:07 AM
It was a great time playing you Sal even though we found out it was technically against the rules to play a double match. Your Driver was on fire yesterday even out blasting me on multiple occasions. Sadly it came down to putting in my match against you have having 3 separate three putt bogeys on the front I buried myself in the overall. I always enjoy playing with You, Robert and Alex because its just a fun relaxing round with nobody going nuts over rules and a lot of banter between us especially with the Birdie Chain being passed around faster than a joint at a reggae concert.
 Message #94850 - This was a reply to message #94838
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Monday April 27, 2020 11:59 AM
QUOTED  the time window remains the same as what the competitor signed up for.

Confirming this is the final word on the possibility of extending the time frame for preliminary rounds?
 Message #94853 - This was a reply to message #94850

Listing 71 to 80 of 142 Replies

PAGES: 15 6 7 8 9 10

[ Community Page ]