Speed Stik
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Ricky Fowler
Favorite Golf Course:
    Arrowood, The Crossings

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday January 5, 2017 8:48 PM
Anybody try out the new Speed Stik that been advertised on TV. As a senior I can use more distance and according to the ads using the Speed Stik will add yardage.

[[Edited by kviser on Friday January 6, 2017 6:28 PM]]
 Message #81964
1PLUS1
RE: Spped Stik

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday January 5, 2017 11:27 PM
QUOTED  ...according to the ads using the Speed Stick will add yardage.

Believe everything you see on TV?

SPEED STICK-type training aids have been around for ages and this "latest" offering isn't much different from previous incarnations. I've always been leery of gadgets such as these that have a built-in "timing device", supposedly to help one develop the perfectly timed release. Although it may help eliminate casting and other speed-robbing flaws, I tend to lean towards training aids that employ resistance to increase swing speed.

In that regard, I've been using a Power Swing Fan for many years and find it beneficial for a number of reasons. Being lightweight yet with four attached "fins", it takes quite a bit of effort to generate any speed with the Swing Fan. Acceleration of the lower body and core muscles provides the best results, as opposed to swinging the arms independently, which, in my view, helps build a lower-maintenance swing with more synchronization and less moving parts.

Going through a session of 25-50 swings at a time forces you to swing in balance while also providing an engaging aerobic workout. As a result, I feel the Swing Fan offers additional long-term benefits that may not necessarily be directly related to the golf swing. Core strength, rotational flexibility, and the ability to efficiently transfer power are all part of the equation when it comes to hitting the golf ball further (provided you strike the ball with the center of the club face) and I'm of the opinion the Power Swing Fan is better suited towards that end result than the Speed Stick.
 Message #81965 - This was a reply to message #81964
zgolfinman

Favorite Golfer:
    Ricky Fowler
Favorite Golf Course:
    Arrowood, The Crossings

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday January 6, 2017 8:49 AM
Thanks for the great feedback. Always good to get a second opinion.
 Message #81966 - This was a reply to message #81965
CancerFighter39

Favorite Golfer:
    YES
Favorite Golf Course:
    YES,it's a Secret!

Friday January 6, 2017 10:38 AM
I use the Momentous Heavy Hitter lob wedge 60* and use a Heavy Hitter driver (Maltby) 9* to loosen up before playing....BOTH can be used to hit golf balls then switch to my actual clubs on the range.

CF39
I am in the FIGHT of my life! At this time, I do not have the ability to Caddie for a Professional even though I made many contacts over the years...
 Message #81969 - This was a reply to message #81964
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Friday January 6, 2017 5:33 PM
I used the swing fan once at a private course--found it kind of "engaging" -- anybody else have feedback on this item?
And, if positive, any particular brand/knock off recommendations?
 Message #81974 - This was a reply to message #81965
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Friday January 6, 2017 6:33 PM
QUOTED  I used the swing fan once

I used it once or twice. I can't remember what course it was, but it was just there at the first tee. "Engaging" is a good word for it. I like the resistance you can feel rotation-wise.

If Jeff can recommend it, then that's all the endorsement needed.

I actually looked online for one and noticed there are several brands/iterations. I think I will check the local Roger Dunn for one.
 Message #81976 - This was a reply to message #81974
1PLUS1
RE: Speed Stik

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Friday January 6, 2017 7:34 PM
QUOTED  And, if positive, any particular brand/knock off recommendations?

QUOTED  If Jeff can recommend it, then that's all the endorsement needed.

Thanks for the props Kevin; you can send my royalty check directly to...

Seriously though, the model I use is called the Swing Builder. I've had it for many years; it is very durable and shows no signs of wear and tear. I like the fact that the grip is replaceable so you can customize it to match what you have on your everyday set. The core size of the shaft is .580, making it very easy to size the grip to your personal specs.

In addition to the benefits I posted earlier, this training aid really encourages you to swing through...not at...the ball. Having a tendency to fall into that trap from time to time, I find that some time spent with the Swing Builder helps re-establish that "acceleration through the ball" principle which is so critical to hitting the ball powerfully as well as accurately. It also ingrains the sensation of generating power from the ground up, another prerequisite for solid golf shots.

As there are many variations of this item in the marketplace, I'd say the Power Swing Fan that is available at dwquailgolf.com is the one that matches the model I have. Ask for the real thing...accept no substitutions!

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Friday January 6, 2017 7:39 PM]]
 Message #81978 - This was a reply to message #81974
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Friday January 6, 2017 9:41 PM
Before everyone runs out and buys their swing fan, I'll have you know I encountered one like kviser once and it messed me up terribly. I took a few swings with it on the first tee and proceeded to play one of the worst ball-striking rounds I've ever played. I still shudder every time I see one since.
 Message #81981 - This was a reply to message #81978
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Friday January 6, 2017 11:36 PM
Mark...

Granted, it may not be for everyone, but the Swing Fan is not meant to be used as a warm-up device that you swing just before stepping up to the first tee. It's a strength/speed-building aid that is best utilized during home-workout routines on off-days.

And the predicament you found yourself in is the main reason why I don't subscribe to the practice of swinging weighted clubs before teeing off. In my experience, nothing destroys rhythm/tempo/feel quicker than using a heavy club to loosen up and then grabbing an 11 ounce driver to begin the round. For me, a dedicated stretching routine and gradual build-up of swing speed prior to heading to the tee box helps to keep things in sync.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Friday January 6, 2017 11:50 PM]]
 Message #81982 - This was a reply to message #81981
jjrauen

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples, Belen Mozo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach, Cowboys GC

Thursday January 12, 2017 6:51 PM
Got a Speed Stik for Christmas gift, and while I have yet tried to put in a lot of full swings (due to shoulder surgery late November) I like it. Resistance is adjustable (1-5, 5 giving most resistance). I can swing one handed (with setting at 1 or 2) and get the magnetic mechanism to slide down and CRACK at the bottom. I can see it helping understand what poorly timed releases (early or late) feel like, just like what a well timed release feels like. Hard to say if I'll add MPH to swing until I can take 10-15 full swings. Makes you work a little to get correct lag and the loud crack is kind of satisfying. At $79, not much risk.
 Message #82043 - This was a reply to message #81964

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]