Discussions in Pro Corner - Talking about Tour Stuff!
Moderated By JohnnyGK, Paisano, ringworld

Forums
Golfing
Pro Corner - Talking about Tour Stuff!
The Saudi League Debate
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: The Saudi League Debate

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 100 Replies

PAGES: 10 1 2 3 4 5
GreenLizard
The Saudi League Debate

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger, Justin Rose, JT
Favorite Golf Course:
    Riviera CC, Goose Creek

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday February 3, 2022 7:37 AM
If you are a fan of the PGA Tour and watching golf, you most likely have heard all the debates going on about some of the players participation in the Saudi tour. After listening to Phil Mickelson complain about the structure of the PGA Tour and how he thinks the players deserve to be paid more, it's becoming clear to me that a lot of players on tour are just flat out greedy. Greg Norman says that "it's not about the money". I don't agree and I'd like to get some other opinions before I start disliking the top American players that make a fortune playing golf in the USA and still would choose to represent Saudi instead of using their talent to boost the local economy for golf in the USA. And don't get me started about the foreign players that live in the USA and still want to support Saudi.

[[Edited by GreenLizard on Thursday February 3, 2022 7:45 AM]]

[[Edited by GreenLizard on Thursday February 3, 2022 10:32 AM]]
 Message #101385
mpisarski01
RE: The Saudi Tour Debate
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Circ Raven, Grizzly Ranch

Thursday February 3, 2022 9:04 AM
Well they offered Bryson $135 million to be the face of the league. To put that into perspective Tigers career PGA winnings = $121 million.
 Message #101386 - This was a reply to message #101385
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday February 3, 2022 9:15 AM
Money talks. BS walks. What any PGA player decides to do does not affect my life. It's hard to not take all that money IMO. Don't hate some one just because they want to make their life and their families life better.

[[Edited by 24hourgolf on Thursday February 3, 2022 9:16 AM]]
 Message #101387 - This was a reply to message #101386
GreenLizard

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger, Justin Rose, JT
Favorite Golf Course:
    Riviera CC, Goose Creek

Thursday February 3, 2022 10:23 AM
That's crazy money. I'd still like to understand how this all helps golf in the USA. I guess that I'm just worried about the traditions surrounding golf and the PGA tour could be lost if players just want to chase more money in foreign countries. It's going to get interesting to say the least. And BTW, I know that change happens as things evolve. Just wanted to hear some thoughts on the topic.

[[Edited by GreenLizard on Thursday February 3, 2022 10:31 AM]]
 Message #101388 - This was a reply to message #101386
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday February 3, 2022 10:32 AM
I read what Phil said. If the PGA wants to save their butt then sit down with the players and work things out. It would appear that the PGA has the "control" to salvage this situation. You cannot blame the players for wanting to take care of themselves and their families. And who knows, if players join the Saudi venture it most likely open up a whole new world for more golfers in the US? I am not worried about the PGA surviving. Nor the USGA. And personally what the PGA and USGA does will never affect my love of the golf game and how/when I play.
 Message #101389 - This was a reply to message #101388
kurator62

GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday February 3, 2022 10:47 AM
Agree!! To 24hourgolf

[[Edited by kurator62 on Thursday February 3, 2022 10:48 AM]]
 Message #101390 - This was a reply to message #101387
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Thursday February 3, 2022 12:33 PM
Being complicit in rewriting the narrative about the saudis sure does pay well! I wonder how long it will last? No tradition, possible lack of marquee courses, how many “other” golfers will sign on to be pigeons for the elite players, will there be players with ethics skip the whole misogynist, human rights violation and murderers league?
 Message #101391 - This was a reply to message #101390
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Thursday February 3, 2022 12:33 PM
Being complicit in rewriting the narrative about the saudis sure does pay well! I wonder how long it will last? No tradition, possible lack of marquee courses, how many “other” golfers will sign on to be pigeons for the elite players, will there be players with ethics skip the whole misogynist, human rights violation and murderers league?
 Message #101392 - This was a reply to message #101390
GreenLizard

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger, Justin Rose, JT
Favorite Golf Course:
    Riviera CC, Goose Creek

Thursday February 3, 2022 2:09 PM
Rat,
I totally agree with your skepticism about longevity and other players that may follow. There is no way that they will pay the same for a "not so popular" player. What does that mean? You simply left a good job for a higher paying job with less stability. Most of us would think twice in the real world before doing that.

And to your point about the human rights aspect. I'm positive that none of the players that sign on with this league, who live in the good ole USA, will be moving their wives and daughters to Saudi any time soon. Why do you suppose that is?
 Message #101393 - This was a reply to message #101392
chevelle

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Jurupa

Thursday February 3, 2022 2:35 PM
I agree there is a question about longevity, but if it last 2 years and you are getting that kid of money , what does it matter if it only lasts 2 years or so? All the "big" stars on the PGA are multi millionaires anyway and don't have to worry about a weekly paycheck like us, notice I said big stars. So truthfully I understand the grab the money and run. Do I agree with it on an ethical level, no, am I happy about what it will do to the American tournaments, no, but I do have golf channel and will be able to watch them play. And you need to be honest with yourself, if they sign on and the league folds in 2 or 3 years, the PGA and the American public will be very willing to "forget" any ethical issues about these players leaving and coming back. Remember Tiger and all that were shocked and pi$$ed off about the affair, he is now the "darling" of golf again. The PGA can't and won't boycott these guys from tournaments.
 Message #101394 - This was a reply to message #101393

Listing 1 to 10 of 100 Replies

PAGES: 10 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]