Discussions in Pro Corner - Talking about Tour Stuff!
Moderated By JohnnyGK, Paisano, ringworld

Forums
Golfing
Pro Corner - Talking about Tour Stuff!
Black Eye for LPGA
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Black Eye for LPGA

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1
msherer260
Black Eye for LPGA

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday April 15, 2022 2:50 PM
Personal opinion deleted...

[[Edited by msherer260 on Thursday April 21, 2022 9:13 PM]]
 Message #101908
1PLUS1
RE: Black Eye for LPGA

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday April 15, 2022 5:29 PM
If anyone is deserving of a "black eye", your name would certainly sit atop that list. Your rants seem to take on more absurdity with each passing day. Do you have some inside info that would support your claim they "just quit"? Did you bother to look into the reason(s) for their WDs? Let me save you the trouble:

Henderson: Illness
Ernst: Injury
Choi: Injury
Kang: Injury
Hong: Neck Injury
Stackhouse: No Information

To suggest these girls "just quit" due to their opening scores is narrow-minded and reckless. Did you ever stop to consider that the high scores may have resulted from their not feeling 100% physically? At the very least, unless proven otherwise, they deserve the benefit of the doubt. I would hardly label any of them as "quitters".

Did you look upon Louis Oosthuizen with the same degree of contempt for his WD following his opening round 76 at Augusta last week?
 Message #101909 - This was a reply to message #101908
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Saturday April 16, 2022 8:41 AM
In the blue corner, we have knee jerk opinions. In the red corner, we have researched facts? Seeing both takes at completely opposite ends of the spectrum had me laughing for a good while after reading the first two posts in this thread.

What came first, the chicken or the egg? I think the basic question at hand is did the 76 cause the injury or did the injury cause the 76?

Do players enter tournaments @ less than 100%? I'm sure many in the field every week have aches, pains, strains and lingering conditions. After shooting a 76, then WDing, injury often cited as the reason. Were they truly not able to compete with less than a full tank this week? Only the player really knows. Or were they just not willing to put up with less than desired results?

Maybe to some it raises eyebrows how many times players WD citing injury after a poor score like a 76-78... but never seem to WD after a 66-68 when they started the tournament with the same injury?

However, giving all players the benefit of the doubt. Only them and their team can gauge whether playing through an injury and potentially making it worse is worth the risk? After a 67 in 5th place, with the prospects of a nice $$$ day this week, probably so... after a 76 and in 125th place, with a very likely MC, probably not. Better to rest an extra day and potentially be healthier next week? Is it worth paying for them and their team sticking around an extra day when it is unlikely playing at less than 100% they could shoot a low enough number to make the cut after a poor opening round? I am sure that is a very real life decision for many mid level and struggling pros every single week.

We as fans probably have little actual knowledge of when some of these players are injured past looking at their swings and results. People on the inside who are there every week and see them on the range would have inside knowledge that most fans would not be privy to? Maybe an announcer makes a comment that player "A" is playing through a wrist injury? Maybe you see a bandage or brace of some kind on a telecast?

To Jeff's point about quitters? I agree that it is unlikely than anyone would make it to that level on any tour if they had much quit in them.

Two personal observations on players playing and not playing with injury...

After attending the L.A. Open many years ago, saw Ben Crenshaw getting treatment after the round @ the traveling therapy trailer the players have available to them. They were stretching him and he had enough tape that was obviously meant to assist some type of injury to make a good start on a mummy. But he played the next day, do not remember his results.

Watched a past major champion WD @ Sherwood in a Sr. event on a Sunday morning when he started middle of the pack and was playing about bogey golf for much of the front nine. He cited a shoulder injury. His shots were off, but he also 3 putted numerous holes. You could tell he was clearly exasperated on a day he was going to struggle to avoid shooting in the 80's. Was it a shoulder injury or a bunch of 3 putts and his string of bogeys that made him WD? My opinion observing was that if he had holed a few of the putts he was running 6' by and then missed the comebacker, he would have continued playing. But only he knew for sure?

However, Jeff's main point is excellent. Where does opinion end and fact start in analyzing a WD? Slippery slope... If the report says they WD because of injury, they WD because of injury unless proven otherwise IMO.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #101912 - This was a reply to message #101908
msherer260

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday April 19, 2022 10:50 AM
GOT you to post.....
 Message #101945 - This was a reply to message #101909
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Tuesday April 19, 2022 11:01 AM
Where is the Medi-heal tournament?

Oh it's at the "Coy" this year instead of Lake Merced.

Hope they remember last years Champion

Matilda Castren when they update the website with more than the course change to SoCal.
 Message #101947 - This was a reply to message #101945
PokerGuy0826
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Freddy Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    TPC Sawgrass

Tuesday April 19, 2022 11:16 AM
As a former professional athlete I can tell you the line is so fine that if you're not 100%, you more often than not have no chance. Often it's more advantageous to your career and future to sit one out from time to time.

Lastly, if any of these players had a touch of quit in them they wouldn't be where they are today. The amount of time, work, patience, & focus it takes to achieve those levels is incomprehensible to most casual observers. If not, there would be many more out there playing the game we love for a living. Ever considered how your family will eat next month if you miss a couple of cuts?

Give 'em a break guys!!
 Message #101949 - This was a reply to message #101908
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Wednesday April 20, 2022 7:33 AM
QUOTED  As a former professional athlete I can tell you

I'd concur as a marginal hacker, longtime lover of the game.

A pro knows it's the preparation put in before the event.
For golf World #1 "just playing the game now, the preparation prior to was the hard work."
(Paraphrased) said at the Masters interview after 2nd or 3rd round.

QUOTED  Give 'em a break guys!!

yup 100% of the time.
We fans have NO clue.
As golf professionals independent contractors do as you please.
Where they invited and entry fees exempted?
Not for me to judge even with clear facts and details anyway.

Was this topic posted as a ruse to get Gkers to react?
Never mind msherer260 answered that
out of context topic should be deleted imo

[[Edited by Deepsea14 on Wednesday April 20, 2022 7:35 AM]]
 Message #101955 - This was a reply to message #101949
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Wednesday April 20, 2022 6:19 PM
QUOTED  Love the re-actions, just getting people to use the forums....nothing really matters but if the putt goes in or not....

Actually it does when you post idiotic, poorly thought out opinions and biases with little factual basis that ridicule whole classes of people to stimulate the forums?
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #101958 - This was a reply to message #101908
kurator62

GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday April 21, 2022 10:49 AM
Very well said Nicksquire
 Message #101960 - This was a reply to message #101958

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]