Discussions in Pro Corner - Talking about Tour Stuff!
Moderated By JohnnyGK, Paisano, ringworld

Forums
Golfing
Pro Corner - Talking about Tour Stuff!
Southern Hills Design Changes for PGA 2022
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Southern Hills Design Changes for PGA 2022

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 8 of 8 Replies

PAGES: 1
coronagolfman
Southern Hills Design Changes for PGA 2022

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Lahinch GC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday May 24, 2022 8:51 AM
Wondering what other viewers thought of the design features created by Gil Hanse for the 2022 PGA Championship at Southern Hills.

Several holes actually had tee shots playing over greens or so close to the previous green as to necessitate the players waiting to hit tee shots or approaches in order for the crowd to be able to react to the other players in the vicinity. Additionally since many of the holes ran parallel and tee shots were frequently landing in the crowd there seemed to be a certain risk in certain places of being hit by a shot (no less than Tiger had to dodge a tee shot from the tee as he was playing from an area out of his own fairway closer to that of another parallel hole and another player was actually hit in the head by an errant tee shot).

I understand that with the power of today's players along with the advances in equipment and balls that now have made 525-yard par 4 holes necessary that courses like Southern Hills have to go to great lengths (literally!) in order to be seen as a championship-quality venue but when things start to get a bit risky to players and participants regarding getting hit by a shot not very far out of play maybe things are going a bit too far.
 Message #102144
JohnnyGK
RE: Southern Hills Design Changes for PGA 2022

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Tuesday May 24, 2022 9:43 AM
It’s waste of resources IMO that golf courses have to become so much longer to accommodate. More water, more turf, more time, more money … they use a less hot ball in the majors than the lower levels … they should consider doing the same in professional golf. It’s not even interesting to me anymore how much further they hit the ball.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #102146 - This was a reply to message #102144
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday May 24, 2022 10:09 AM
2 things I thought made the tournament better for my watching enjoyment.

An 18th finishing hole that could change the whole outcome down to the last group. And a 3 hole aggregate playoff instead of sudden death.
 Message #102147 - This was a reply to message #102144
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Tuesday May 24, 2022 11:41 AM
I thought the course was rather boring. The competition was interesting but course was pure Oklahoma, boring, IMHO.
 Message #102148 - This was a reply to message #102144
chevelle

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Jurupa

Tuesday May 24, 2022 2:07 PM
I think it is ridiculous that the PGA thinks it has to make these courses long for these guys to make it difficult. The long par 3's were great as they had long irons or more into them and they all struggled. We play most of our par 3's with a longer club ( being a senior) and it makes par 3's difficult. The par 4's don't have to be 525 yards if they make the fairways very very narrow ( i am talking 5 yards wide or less) and the rough very very long (5" or more) Put a premium for hitting it straight instead of long. Yes most of these guys won't hit drivers then because most of them are not very straight, they just grip it and RIP it and swing out of their shoes, but that wound pi$$ off the club manufacturers because they want to sell drivers. Most of the viewers don't want to see pros hitting 2 irons off the tee, it is boring TV.
I also think it is ridiculous that the pros use the same balls we do. Baseball does not allow metal bats, maybe the pros should be forced to use wooden drivers and 3 woods. But again that would pi$$ off the club manufacturers for selling clubs.
So much of this is just based on money, equipment sales, clubs, balls ETC. and their answer is a longer course.
I do think the PGA should hand out reduced flight golfs balls at each tournament and have them marked so you can clearly see the balls are legal for that tournament.
There is absolutely NO reason why the average guy (or gal) should have to play the same ball or equipment the pros do.

[[Edited by chevelle on Tuesday May 24, 2022 2:17 PM]]
 Message #102149 - This was a reply to message #102148
zachary

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Wednesday May 25, 2022 7:02 AM
Chevelle, I don't know if you have watched any golf recently, but length is winning. Narrow fairways do nothing, the guys don't care if they are in the rough because they have a wedge in their hands, even on 525 yard fairways with knee high rough. The best thing about this Southern Hills, was the run off areas and short grass around the greens. The shots had to be precise to make a birdie or they would roll off the greens. Hard and fast is the only thing that will stop these guys. The game needs to be different at the pro level and distance needs to be controlled or courses will continue to be longer and will continue to be more expensive for us to play. Johnny is right, the cost to maintain a 8000 yard course is very high and the only ones that can play it are pros. Stop making courses that only 200 people can play and we will be better off.

Love your idea of handing out balls to the pros at the tourneys. The crying we would hear would be unbearable. They were crying about the sand all week at southern hills, try and hit a shot out of a bunker at Oceanside Muni or the Vineyard or maybe you are in a bunker at TCI that is filled with weeds. love to hear the pros cry about them.

Different game they play and they should have different rules. The club manufactures could make a bunch of non-conforming clubs that would sell and make our games easier and perhaps they would make more money. It is fun to be able to hit the same shot the pros hit but, when does that really ever happen? The beauty of this game is it is entirely your own, do you play to score? have fun? compete with people? Just keep playing the way that makes you enjoy it.
 Message #102151 - This was a reply to message #102149
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Wednesday May 25, 2022 8:57 AM
I must have missed the -28 winning score! All this talk about the game being too easy isn't really showing too much in the results, at least at the majors. When I see multiple players going sub-60 in tournaments on a regular basis, then it'll be time to worry about it. For now I'm just enjoying the best golfers in the world doing their thing.
 Message #102152 - This was a reply to message #102151
coronagolfman

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Lahinch GC

Wednesday May 25, 2022 12:08 PM
Good point - Thomas and Zalatoris went into the playoff with blistering 4-day totals of six under par each - not exactly shooting the lights out like one sees at the Phoenix Open or at TPC Cromwell. At courses like Pebble or Pinehurst #2 or Augusta or Southern Hills where the greens tend to be smaller and the rough is somewhat penal and have significant runoffs resulting in challenging chipping the scores just don't get that low regardless of how far the players can drive it.

It will be interesting to see what the scores are at the Open at St. Andrews - I imagine there are going to be a lot of new tee placements like what we saw last year at the Dunhill on the Old Course where the 17th tee was back on the other side of a stone wall previously OB on #16 or the tee on #2 was almost back halfway to the teeing ground on #1. Of course the biggest factor at the Open will be the weather as that affects scores on the Old Course a lot more than any of the architectural hazards.
 Message #102153 - This was a reply to message #102152

Listing 1 to 8 of 8 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]