Discussions in Pro Corner - Talking about Tour Stuff!
Moderated By JohnnyGK, Paisano, ringworld

Forums
Golfing
Pro Corner - Talking about Tour Stuff!
Treeless Torrey 2021
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Treeless Torrey 2021

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 3 of 3 Replies

PAGES: 1
coronagolfman
Treeless Torrey 2021

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Lahinch GC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday January 30, 2021 2:43 PM
I know that there was a number of trees removed from the course for the last US Open played at Torrey Pines but this year it looks like even more were removed so that there are only a handful of trees (if that many) on most of the holes on the course. Now, I didn't follow the tournament at Torrey much the last couple of years but the amount of trees on the course now seems like a lot less than in the last 4-5 years. I know that the USGA has convinced the members and owners of a number of courses where USGA events have been played in the last decade to remove large amounts of trees (Oakmont, Inverness, LACC and Winged Foot to name a few) - but isn't the Torrey Pine a tree with a very limited geographical area of residence in the La Jolla area and is there any impact on that species when removing so many of those trees from the two TP courses?
 Message #97772
Rat-Patrol
RE: Treeless Torrey 2021
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday January 31, 2021 12:42 PM
I was told when they redid the North course some trees were “diseased” and others were removed to open up the view of the ocean? I see they have now removed some trees on the South course as well. Not a fan. Aim points gone, depth perception altered, the cozy feeling trees impart framing a hole/a green vanished. When playing the approach to the (now) 13th hole on the North it looks and feels like I am on a links course on some barren wasteland not a beautiful, plush Torrey Pines. Some of those old courses were designed without trees, I like Torrey better with trees.
 Message #97775 - This was a reply to message #97772
Deepsea14
RE: Treeless Torrey 2021
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Monday February 1, 2021 10:20 AM
Yes I'd agree some trees are removed for what ever reason at Torrey than I can recall as well. Storm damaged trees must go. I know some on the 18th were downed a few years ago. The aerials of that hole looked different.

The rough was the feature that surprised me the most. That stuff was nasty and will only get worse/better? for the June US Open.

Captain America was able to conquer it with or without controversial penalties. If you win by 5 what's the worry?
 Message #97783 - This was a reply to message #97775

Listing 1 to 3 of 3 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]