Discussions in Pro Corner - Talking about Tour Stuff!
Moderated By JohnnyGK, Paisano, ringworld

Forums
Golfing
Pro Corner - Talking about Tour Stuff!
Green Books
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Green Books

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1
msherer260
Green Books

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday March 7, 2021 3:21 PM
Pure BS letting pros use green books during a tournament round. Today it was a total joke letting the guy that won BD, use a green book . I played in a blind draw two man scramble a few weeks ago and my partner had a greens book for the course and it was worth at least 4 shots against the rest of the field. Come on reading greens is a big part of the game and these pros should have to do it too. Just think without that greens book B D would have been 8 over at best today and came in third. All the talk about distance but the greens book are really a joke.
 Message #98087
dconnally
RE: Green Books

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated! GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday March 7, 2021 5:13 PM
If anyone can use one, it's not an advantage.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #98089 - This was a reply to message #98087
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Sunday March 7, 2021 6:16 PM
QUOTED  If anyone can use one, it's not an advantage.

Could not disagree more David. If one competitor is a 10 on a scale of 10 @ reading greens and their opponent is only a 8 on a scale of 10 @ reading greens... you just made them even by allowing both to use the same green book.

Agree totally with msherer260. Green reading is definitely a skill that separates great putters from very good putters on the pro level. And separates mediocre putters from poor putters as you slide down the golfer skill level toward higher handicap players.

No different than judging the effect of the wind or the terrain on shots, how a lie will affect a shot etc. Those are skills on tee to green shots that add or subtract strokes every single round from all golfers scores.

Not a fan of pro's being allowed to use distance measuring devices in competition either. I also think that is a skill that separates the better caddie/player teams from the middle of the pack ones. The best executed iron could still be a penalty shot if you were off even a few yards over a lake.... or if you misjudged the wind or effect of the lie on the shot.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98090 - This was a reply to message #98089
1PLUS1

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Sunday March 7, 2021 10:21 PM
Shouldn't be permitted. As Nick mentioned in his post, green-reading is a skill that often separates the great players from the mediocre ones; it's always been one of those 'intangibles' that adds to the challenge of the game.

I'm okay with the yardage books available in the Pro Shop that may show some general information re: the slope and pitch of the putting surfaces, but publishing guides that practically map out every single blade of grass...and then allowing the professionals to use them during competition...is blatantly out-of-bounds as far as I'm concerned.

But I suppose when you're playing for seven-figure paychecks, the 'intangibles' that added to the demands, appeal, and 'purity' of the game when you were a kid simply don't matter anymore. Want to be a better player? Fine...get into the gym, add some distance to your tee shots, refine your swing on the practice tee, spends hours on the putting green, hire a sports psychologist if you feel you need one. No complaints in that area...it's all natural and part of improving as an athlete...but the greens-mapping books are as artificial as it gets. And yet the governing bodies have no qualms.

Personally, I'd never consider using one; I'll rely on my own green-reading ability to get the job done, regardless of whether I'm on the mark or not. To me, it's not much different than telling a MLB batter, as he's stepping up to the plate, exactly what pitch is going to be thrown and where it's going to be located.
 Message #98093 - This was a reply to message #98087

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]