mlslaw
Stepping on your line

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday November 15, 2021 8:43 PM
Got a playing partner who routinely steps on the puttng line of other players (who never call him on it). After all, we're not pros and who knows how many other folks have stepped in that line that day? Plenty I'll bet. But it's irritating. This guy especially thinks nothing of it if he's cleaning up after missing his first putt. After all, it's proper/good ettiquete to continue putting rather than marking and waiting. Now I don't think there's a rule that says a player has to mark if he's stepping/standing in another player's putting line but I don't know for sure... Anyway, I called him on it today (as he was preparing to clean up after his first putt and while he was directly on my line) and he seemed a bit peeved. But he did mark in the end. Message sent.
Thoughts please.
 Message #100852
Itslikeimsayin
RE: Stepping on your line
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated! GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Monday November 15, 2021 10:16 PM
If he plays with people less forgiving than you, you were doing him a favor by telling him or else his other playing partners will hate him. Whether or not it impacts the ground where the ball will roll (depends largely on the firmness/moisture level of the green), it's rude and someone needs to teach him that.
 Message #100854 - This was a reply to message #100852
hermgolfs

GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Jordan Spieth
Favorite Golf Course:
    El Prado, either course

Monday November 15, 2021 11:06 PM
It is simple. Be mindful of the lines of others in your group while on the putting surface. Don’t step in any other player’s line, as you wouldn’t want them to step in your line. Nobody should be in such a rush, nor so oblivious, as to neglect this simple matter of etiquette.

[[Edited by hermgolfs on Tuesday November 16, 2021 7:59 AM]]
 Message #100855 - This was a reply to message #100854
rrogersjr

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday November 16, 2021 7:24 PM
Being a pro has nothing to do with, just GP! Glad you called him out on it.
 Message #100860 - This was a reply to message #100852
msherer260

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday November 16, 2021 8:38 PM
..I like ready golf and that means putting also, unless I am for sure putting on or near someone that may get a read off my putt I like putting as soon as I reach the green...I agree stepping on someone's line is just rude...and for sure if your a 15 or higher handicap don't spend forever trying to read a putt from all around the hole because that putt is not a make or break it deal for you.
 Message #100862 - This was a reply to message #100860
Stone8
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil and Freddy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Wednesday November 17, 2021 1:54 PM
Agree 100 % - We dont mind other putting while the "motor is running" as it speeds up the play, just do not step on other lines as the foot mark will take more than a few minutes to disappear. I was playing with my club on Sunday and on a uphill par 4, I was on in 2 and the other 3 were chasing their balls so I marked my ball and waited. It was a golden GK marker which is large. Other players finally get on and one guy looks at me after he marked and said, "Steve, where is your ball ? " My ball ? It is in my pocket but my mark is under your foot !
 Message #100864 - This was a reply to message #100852
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Wednesday November 17, 2021 3:05 PM
Mislaw, Agree with you 100%. Even if no advantage gained, it is just plain bad etiquette.

It depends on the greens how severe a footprint can be.

Soft poa or bent green? It could cause your ball to jump or noticeably change direction.

But some of the hard, Bermuda greens I putt on in the desert? Still would not want to walk on anyone's line or have them walk on mine. But it would probably make little difference if you walked all up and down my line on those greens. You often cannot find your dent when you fly a high SW into many Bermuda greens in the summer.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #100867 - This was a reply to message #100864
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Wednesday November 17, 2021 8:15 PM
QUOTED  But it would probably make little difference if you walked all up and down my line

Nick: I think this is my playing partner's point; to wit: that my complaint is form over substance in that in his humble opinion standing in my line makes lil or no difference so he does it with impunity. He's said as much. Sure he marked when I complained the other day but old habits die hard. I say do unto others and I don't step in other player's lines, or try not to. I keep thinking that if the guys sees that I respect other's lines that he will follow suit.
But he hasn't and this has been years.
 Message #100868 - This was a reply to message #100867
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday November 21, 2021 5:16 PM
Had a strange group the other day. Played with 3 guys that were good friends. Probably in their mid to late 40’s I’d guess. Two could play pretty well (I would say both broke 80) and knew the rules, other third couldn’t much at all (he went through at least a dozen balls, but just dropped and moved on quickly and wasn’t a distraction) . The third was very courteous and conscious of shadows, etc, the other two not at all. I looked up from marking my ball to watch one of them walk right across my line half a dozen times. I just let it go, I equated saying something about it like honking at someone in traffic.

[[Edited by Rat-Patrol on Sunday November 21, 2021 5:19 PM]]
 Message #100947 - This was a reply to message #100852
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Monday November 22, 2021 11:34 AM
QUOTED  that my complaint is form over substance in that in his humble opinion standing in my line makes lil or no difference so he does it with impunity. He's said as much.

First, why volunteer to play with this guy if he does it every round?

But if for whatever reason you feel like you have to continue playing with him. I'd let it go for awhile, which you already did. However, since he has said as much, I'd try and mention politely that we should all be looking to stay off everyone else's line. Which it sounds like you did that too. You have already went above and beyond in my mind.

So how about next time it happens, tell him you missed at least one foot between me and the hole, sure you don't want to try and stomp every square inch next time? We could eventually progress to after he missed his first putt, telling him his next one is good and backhanding his ball into a sand trap and inquiring if he can stand on others lines from there? Still a slow learner, next step his ball goes into a water hazard? I can creatively solve challenges when people are obviously being an &ssh*le on purpose.

I rarely complain to a playing partner, but I would if I were you with that guy.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #100952 - This was a reply to message #100868

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]