Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
If you could only have one or the other...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: If you could only have one or the other...

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 23 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
mlslaw
If you could only have one or the other...

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday November 18, 2021 10:16 AM
The choices: Scoring a hole in one OR posting your lowest score ever. I'd choose the latter. An ace, when you really think about it, is a very lucky shot. A bunch of things have to go really, really right (aside from a good strike aimed correctly) for that lil ball to find that lil hole (Disclosure: have had 2 such shots in the last couple years).
But having a career round requires so much more than luck. There's a combo of xlnt ball striking, skill on and around the greens, xlnt decision making, great focus and you name it. I find that to be much more satisfying.
 Message #100871
mpisarski01
RE: If you could only have one or the other...
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Circling Raven

Thursday November 18, 2021 10:35 AM
Ill take the ACE all day everyday. Its a story for life. yeah a career round is nice but I think about when playin with new people is how many times I am asked do you have any aces? Now ask yourself how many times are you asked what your lowest score is?
 Message #100872 - This was a reply to message #100871
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Thursday November 18, 2021 10:35 AM
I read somewhere the average handicap that makes an ace is around 24. I’ve had 4 aces and I’ll take the good round much harder to achieve.
 Message #100873 - This was a reply to message #100871
Hogan
GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Golf Club of Ca..LaPurisi

Thursday November 18, 2021 11:44 AM
I have been playing for 61 years, I have never made a hole-in-one, have made three double eagles, career round, have done that a few times, this summer missed shooting my age by one stroke, so, the hole-in-one is my choice, time is going by way too fast, stay healthy, drive safely, CGG...
 Message #100874 - This was a reply to message #100873
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Thursday November 18, 2021 12:16 PM
They provide different levels of satisfaction for achieving something special.

I feel very fortunate to have three holes in one. All good shots, a 4I and two 7I's. Special because they went in the hole. But no better than other well struck shots like the 7I I hit about 6" directly behind the hole awhile back with Sparky14 @ Morgan Run. Many other close calls over the years... just that those 3 happened to go in.

If I had never had a hole in one, I would choose that.

However, agree with Jim. The career round provides me more satisfaction for the reasons stated. That entails a whole day of playing well beyond my normal standards by a wide margin. The satisfaction of overcoming the internal pressure I put on myself to play the last few holes in par or better to come in for the overall round at par or better? Was likely no more than I could put on myself if I was playing for a bunch of $$$ on Sunday @ a PGA Tour event. Even thought this was JUST for my own personal edification.

Here is a perfect example. My best all-time regulation course round was a -1 70 recorded decades ago where I birdied the last 2 holes to get under par for the 18. Even if I miraculously sometime shoot a better score, that memory will be special because I performed admirably coming down the stretch knowing that I had a chance for a career round.

Compare that to a 72 I shot with GDR23 many years ago @ Buenaventura. I had a great day through 17, even par and tying my all-time high of 5 birdies in a round. I hit a perfect layup on 18 to have a shot @ getting it up/down for a 69. Had the conversation with Gary in the fairway that I really needed to hit a GW to make sure I got it there, but that it would probably be past the front pin and not leave a good birdie putt. And since I had previously shot a 70, 69 was the goal, not a routine par. A SW would give me my best chance of sticking it tight, but really brought the front bunker and maybe even the lake into play. It was 69 or bust. Went with the SW, trying to stick it tight. Hit it as good as I could, high and right on line with the pin... had visions of a kick in birdie for a 69 while the ball was in the air. It was about 2' short and buried in the top of the front bunker. Ended up making a 7 for a 72, still one of my best all-time rounds. But which one provides the more satisfaction?

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Thursday November 18, 2021 4:04 PM]]
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #100875 - This was a reply to message #100874
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated! GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Thursday November 18, 2021 1:18 PM
Tough call for me because I've never had an ace but also my best rounds are tied at 1 over par. I'd love to shoot even or under par at least once in my life.

Ultimately, if I can only pick one, I want that ace.
 Message #100876 - This was a reply to message #100875
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Thursday November 18, 2021 2:03 PM
Well since you asked. A low score and an ace in one day. The ace by me and a 79 for my playing partner.

It was my 2nd career ace and I believe my buddy was skilled enough to break 80 often enough. He was playing my home course though.

That day (March 8, 2007 165 yds 6 iron) I would have gladly traded the ace-in-the-hole for the break 80. He a better player had zero aces, and to my knowledge still is skunked in the "lucky" shot quest.

To this day I think the same thing.

Career stats Aces 2 / Break 80 Once.

I've witnessed 4 and want to see a few more. Especially the first one. Well come to think of it all of those were

Boston sportscaster Bob Neumeier a story-telling and chop busting extraordinaire. As well a a horse racing nut recently passed away at 70.
from the Boston Globe's Kevin Dupont.
His iron shot, from an elevated tee box at The International in Bolton, bounced twice on the green and rolls right into the cup.
And Neumie shrugged.
"Right in the jar...hole-in-one." recalled his sports talk radio show partner Dale Arnold. "And I'm there yelling, wow Neumie, look at that, an ace!" Typical Bob, he just gives it a little smile and he's like, 'Yeah, whatever, let's finish up and get to the next hole'."

[[Edited by Deepsea14 on Thursday November 18, 2021 2:17 PM]]
 Message #100878 - This was a reply to message #100876
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers NorCal GK Cup: NorCal GK Cup 1

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday November 18, 2021 2:11 PM
ace, and it's not even close.

career rounds will happen multiple times... and even a score that comes close to an all time low is still really really good, and fun. (though the lower the score, the more rare it will be... but also, the lower the score, the more exciting the career rounds will be).

an ace... that is truly lightning strike. avid golfers go their whole lives without one. It took close to 20 years to get one, got my second almost exactly a year later, then haven't had one since (5 years now and counting).
 Message #100879 - This was a reply to message #100878
dethman
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday November 19, 2021 7:36 AM
an ace. but my buddies have got to be there. =)
 Message #100886 - This was a reply to message #100881
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Friday November 19, 2021 8:10 AM
Depends on the course. A 75 at Pebble Beach over an Ace at Riverside GC (Fresno Muni) all day long. Given equal playing fields. Like Matt and Mike said, I'll take the Ace and it's not even close.
 Message #100889 - This was a reply to message #100886

Listing 1 to 10 of 23 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]