Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
SoCal Course recommendation for a fun Monday.
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: SoCal Course recommendation for a fun Monday.

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1
Phatferd
SoCal Course recommendation for a fun Monday.

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger & Anthony Kim
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mission Viejo CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday December 17, 2021 10:56 AM
Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I took about 5 years off and just picked the game back up over the last few months since I had some time off from work.

I want to get a round in next week before the rain and holidays. I live in Mission Viejo for reference. I played Monarch Dunes, Eagle Glen and Golf Club of California recently and enjoyed aspects of all three. I shoot about 95 currently for added reference.

Tee times are scarce next week likely due to people being off all week,. It see some options for Cross Creek, Goose Creek and Coyote Hills. I think the consensus would choose GC in a vacuum, but considering price and driving distance would it still won out? Is CC a fine course to save $30+? GC and CH are the same price, CH being closer. Anyone play any of these recently?
 Message #101111
sparky14
RE: SoCal Course recommendation for a fun Monday.
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Friday December 17, 2021 11:27 AM
Goose Creek is one of the best pure golf courses around. A really great course, but the only negative (and it isn't really negative, just the way it is) is that it is a flat parkland course. I don't think the dairy farms are there anymore, but man it used to stink out there sometimes.

CrossCreek is a really fun layout. It's a hike to get there, but I always enjoy playing out there. Very "middle of nowhere", it is a treat for SoCal. I like Coyote as well, but I'd pick CrossCreek first.

Add Oak Quarry to your list. It is a great course with some real wow factor running through the quarry.
 Message #101112 - This was a reply to message #101111
140ver
GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    angel cabrera
Favorite Golf Course:
    trump scotland-GC only

Friday December 17, 2021 3:26 PM
I've only played Cross Creek. I liked the "Where the heck are we going?" aspect of the course. The holes are different and fun. Use all the clubs in my bag. Very friendly staff. Holes 4-9 is a really good stretch of golf. You just feel like you found a little something. Cost, especially with a Golf Moose deal, is quite a bit less. You can usually find a tee time. Downside is the conditions are a little hit and miss, always very playable, but they are winking when they advertise "Pristine." 18 is a love-it-or-hate-it hole. It can be very foggy on holes 1 and 2.
 Message #101113 - This was a reply to message #101112
ashtonstine
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday December 20, 2021 8:45 AM
Never played Cross Creek but as someone who calls Coyote Hills my "home course" I would say it depends where your game is at. I don't consider myself a particularly long hitter (250 average) and I only take driver on a couple of holes from Coyote Hills playing from the Black tee boxes. It is very much target golf and if you are just getting back in to golf and spraying it around a little, you will likely lose a ton of balls and not have the best of days.

CH is a course where you can really benefit from having some local knowledge or playing with someone who does, because shots can easily get away from you with the elevation changes/run out. That is especially so now with the winter conditions. If you do elect to go CH, send me a message and I can try and guide you through with some tips (I know what I SHOULD do on the golf course, I just cant always execute it).

I've played Goose Creek once but I remember it being significantly more open than Coyote with adjacent fairways so even if you are spraying it a bit, you are just the next hole over as opposed to being lost in the hills.

Just my two cents.

[[Edited by ashtonstine on Monday December 20, 2021 8:46 AM]]
 Message #101126 - This was a reply to message #101111

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]