Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
14 days after aeration (vs. 21 days)
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: 14 days after aeration (vs. 21 days)

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 7 of 7 Replies

PAGES: 1
hugepark
14 days after aeration (vs. 21 days)

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger, CChamp, CMorikawa
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday April 19, 2022 8:40 AM
I have a spot at Hansen Dam this week, and I'm debating whether I want to keep it because they will have aerated their greens about 14-15 days prior. I usually stay away from courses for a minimum of 3 weeks after punching. How long do you guys normally wait?

Obviously this question is for those who care about these things :-)
 Message #101942
Deepsea14
RE: 14 days after aeration (vs. 21 days)
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Tuesday April 19, 2022 10:57 AM
QUOTED  How long do you guys normally wait?

Depends on the type of aeration small tine top dressed, large holes sand filled
would make a big difference on time to get back to "normal"
some poa greens will seed head and be slow and bumpier than normal even if not punched.

Depends on your tolerance level too I suppose.
However compared to working, doing chores, shopping, no brainer. Golf every time even on below average putting surfaces.
 Message #101946 - This was a reply to message #101942
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Tuesday April 19, 2022 12:29 PM
QUOTED  Depends on the type of aeration small tine top dressed, large holes sand filled
some poa greens will seed head and be slow and bumpier than normal even if not punched.

Depends on your tolerance level too I suppose.
However compared to working, doing chores, shopping, no brainer. Golf every time even on below average putting surfaces.

What Peter said.

And I would add that much depends on how good the greens were before aeration. I have played at courses with historically good greens and even 10-14 days after aeration, they were good again.

But if they were crappy before? Don't expect good greens soon after aeration. I have also played courses that had poor greens before aeration, and even 30 days after aeration guess what? They still had poor greens.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #101951 - This was a reply to message #101946
hugepark

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger, CChamp, CMorikawa
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Tuesday April 19, 2022 12:33 PM
QUOTED  Depends on the type of aeration small tine top dressed, large holes sand filled

Good point, I'm talking about large holes punched and sand filled. When you play a course that went thru that type of aeration recently, you come home with a bunch of sand in your pockets. :-)

I feel like the very small needle-like punching is almost barely noticeable, so I'm happy to play on those greens no problem.
 Message #101952 - This was a reply to message #101946
t8fish
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Tuesday April 19, 2022 2:13 PM
I stopped by Hansen last Thursday to use the range and then went over to the putting green, which had been punched — big holes and sanded. I'm certainly not indifferent to the quality of the greens, but nor do I consider myself overly fussy, as long as I know what I'm getting in to to set my expectations accordingly. Assuming the practice green represented the course greens and for what it's worth, I think this week would be too soon to have reasonable expectations for Hansen.

Personally, I'd probably give it a couple more weeks of recovery to insure a reasonably enjoyable level of playability.

[[Edited by t8fish on Tuesday April 19, 2022 2:16 PM]]
 Message #101953 - This was a reply to message #101952
hugepark

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger, CChamp, CMorikawa
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Tuesday April 19, 2022 2:55 PM
QUOTED  I stopped by Hansen last Thursday to use the range and then went over to the putting green, which had been punched — big holes and sanded. I'm certainly not indifferent to the quality of the greens, but nor do I consider myself overly fussy, as long as I know what I'm getting in to to set my expectations accordingly. Assuming the practice green represented the course greens and for what it's worth, I think this week would be too soon to have reasonable expectations for Hansen.

Personally, I'd probably give it a couple more weeks of recovery to insure a reasonably enjoyable level of playability.

Got it, thanks a million t8fish! I'll try another spot then.
 Message #101954 - This was a reply to message #101953
hugepark

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger, CChamp, CMorikawa
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Thursday April 21, 2022 12:37 PM
FWIW, I canceled Hansen Dam and played El Dorado Park in Long Beach instead. Conditions are really good there right now IMO.

I was lucky enough to get through the LA City reservation website this morning for an early tee time at Hansen Dam on April 30, so I'll post a review to report back on how the greens are doing after we play. 25 days after punching I hope is enough time!
 Message #101962 - This was a reply to message #101954

Listing 1 to 7 of 7 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]