Cataract Surgery
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Cataract Surgery

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 7 of 7 Replies

PAGES: 1
dconnally
Cataract Surgery

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated! GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday May 2, 2022 3:48 PM
I'm at the point where my vision has gotten so bad I really can't see the ball when it gets more than 100 yards away. Lots of occasional blurriness - to focus on a distant object I frequently have to look all around it and aggregate the images. All this even when wearing my current eyeglass prescription.

Eye doc tells me I need cataract surgery to alleviate these problems.

I'd like to hear from GKers who have had this cataract procedure. How long is the recovery period? Did it change the way you played golf? What other issues do I need to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #102013
SBogey
RE: Cataract Surgery

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Monday May 2, 2022 4:18 PM
Cataract surgery was no big deal. I don't remember exactly how long the recovery was but it was pretty quick. Had both eyes done about a month apart and am really glad I did. I had the lenses for distance put in. I had worn glasses since 7th grade and like you could not see most of my shots. We would joke that Chris was my see eye golfer. When she was mad she would tell me my shot had gone in the water or a bunker just to tease. We did learn later that there is an increased chance of having a detached retina after. It did happen in both eyes and that surgery though painless took longer to recover. Don't hesitate. You will be glad you did it. I remember after the first eye was done I was working and looked out the window and could see the pine needles on the trees for the first time. Really cool experience ,since even with glasses I could not see detail like that before. Overall very glad I did it and would highly recommend it. I used Pacific Eye Institute in Ontario and was very happy. Guess you probably figured that out! Go for it, you won't regret it!

[[Edited by SBogey on Monday May 2, 2022 4:31 PM]]

[[Edited by SBogey on Monday May 2, 2022 4:33 PM]]
 Message #102014 - This was a reply to message #102013
abbacat

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday May 2, 2022 7:29 PM
I've had both eyes done. The improved acuity will do only good for your golf game.
The procedure is a piece of cake. The only inconvenience is the drops for 2 weeks afterwards.
I have the standard implants. There are multifocal implants available but they are very expensive and not covered by insurance.
If you have both eyes done in a short period of time it's best. If only one is done now, and the other is not close to ready, depending on your current spectacle Rx, you may have some depth perception issues if there is too much difference between the two eyes.
That was my struggle when I had my left done 10 years before the right. It was amazing how much better I could judge the distance to the pins once my eyes were equal. It's common, a few years afterwards to have "secondary cataracts' which is just a clouding of the pouch that holds the intraocular lens. That is easily fixed with a Yag laser procedure.
If you don't already have an ophthalmologist, I highly recommend Dr. Jonathan Pirnazar at Nvision in Laguna Hills.
 Message #102015 - This was a reply to message #102014
NutNButCup
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Valley

Monday May 2, 2022 9:08 PM
I personally have not had the surgery but my dad did when he was having a problem seeing the ball more than 50 yards off the tee. He was about 70 when he had the procedure done. His eyes were done 3 weeks apart. Procedure took about 1 to 1.5 hours from show up to me driving him home. He was driving his car without problems in two days. He loved being able to see the ball fly down the fairway again. Seven years or so later he can still see the ball.
 Message #102016 - This was a reply to message #102013
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Thursday May 5, 2022 7:28 AM
QUOTED  Eye doc tells me I need cataract surgery to alleviate these problems.

All well stated advice by abbacat.
QUOTED  He loved being able to see the ball fly down the fairway again.

Me too! More often and longer!! And my vision is ok long range now!!!

Get 'er done dc and then you'll be able to see the Birdie Chain betta as well.

Get the right Dr, with most experience. imo.
 Message #102025 - This was a reply to message #102013
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls/Balboa

Thursday May 5, 2022 3:16 PM
Get 'er done! Don't make anyone else play seeing eye golfer! LOL We did find out that not every surgeon has a high rate of separating retinas after cararact surgery so it is probably a fair question to ask anyone you're considering. Steve has had both eyes "de-fogged" with a laser too. Simple and quick. When replacing your old lenses you can get one lens for distance and one for close if you choose. However I've not met anyone who was really happy with that choice afterwards. They might exist out there somewhere but i just haven't met them.
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #102030 - This was a reply to message #102025
FirstFlightFX-101
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated! GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

Thursday May 5, 2022 6:30 PM
Youngsters, take heed...
-look after your vision: I was told by my ophthalmologist in my 20's to wear outdoor protection for my eyes, the same as you should for your skin. So I invested in good polarized and filtered sunglasses religiously. In my 40's, another ophthalmologist commented that I had really healthy eyes, like those of a 30 year old. It was good to know the investment was worth it, besides, I need to see where all my errant drives go!
-look after your hearing: Tinnitus sucks! Take care of your hearing...I didn't. Honestly, do it, else by the time your 40, while on the course, you'll be missing half the banter, trash talk, and quips from your playing partners.
 Message #102032 - This was a reply to message #102030

Listing 1 to 7 of 7 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]