mlslaw
"Talking" to someone elses ball

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday May 10, 2022 8:43 AM
This just happened: While player A's putt is on the way to the hole, player B shouts "go in" as the ball sails by 15'. Player A mentions Bs comment and appears to be visibly irritated and upset. After, I told B that the better part of valor there is to remain silent. B responded that his nature is to encourage and that any issues lies with A being too strong with the putt. Years ago a player aggressively told me "don't talk to my ball." That stuck with me and I realized that some people don't react as you mite expect. Is this a legit beef here or much ado about nothing?
 Message #102046
parmegt
RE: "Talking" to someone elses ball

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Costa

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday May 10, 2022 9:46 AM
Player "B" should keep his comments to himself until the ball is in the hole IMHO. Unless your good friends...
"Good Shot" as somebody's ball makes a splash makes one look like an idiot or like a prick sticking the needle in.
 Message #102047 - This was a reply to message #102046
jamesg18015
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday May 10, 2022 9:51 AM
Many years ago when I was fairly new to the game, I had a habit of talking to other peoples' golf balls, even in random pairings where I didn't know the other people. One time I got a serious scolding by someone who took offense to this, the same "don't talk to my ball", and I stopped doing it from then on regardless of who I am playing with. Once the ball has come to rest, I might give a "nice shot" comment if it is deserving, but otherwise I keep my mouth shut when it comes to other peoples' golf balls and shots. If someone was talking to my ball the entire round, I'd find it mildly annoying but not offensive. I think I'd be more annoyed that they were a chatterbox in general, not specifically because they were talking to my ball. It has occurred to me that I have no idea what kind of shot a random person is trying to hit and what their standard of a good or bad shot is, so better to keep my thoughts to myself. I may think someone was trying on purpose to hit a low running shot that is working out great, when they really just put a bad swing on it, hit it thin, and are mad at themself about it. So no point in telling their ball "keep running!"

[[Edited by jamesg18015 on Tuesday May 10, 2022 9:54 AM]]
 Message #102048 - This was a reply to message #102046
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Circling Raven

Tuesday May 10, 2022 10:33 AM
While I am a younger golfer than most people on these forums. If someone yelled at me for talking to their ball after they hit it I would probably start talking to their ball more, more than likely to tell the ball keep slicing.

If you are such a hard a** that you get upset with someone talking to your ball you should probably switch sports. I bet they are the same people who get upset if you show any emotion on the course or wear shorts. Golf is a sport, Sports are supposed to be fun, if you cant have fun golfing you are probably a dbag.
 Message #102050 - This was a reply to message #102048
kurator62

GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday May 10, 2022 10:48 AM
Very well put mpisarki01. I concur
 Message #102051 - This was a reply to message #102050
stickboy

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday May 10, 2022 2:09 PM
In the example given by the op I wouldn't say "go in" I might say "easy" or "settle down". I say those things to be positive and supportive of other players If the player told me not to talk to his ball, I wouldn't say another word to him or his ball for the rest of the round. Then, I would file him under d ... for d^^che .
 Message #102054 - This was a reply to message #102050
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Tuesday May 10, 2022 2:22 PM
I think most people consider positive encouragement a good thing. However, sometimes encouragement seems to be relative to the skill level and expectations?

If you are playing with a 30 handicapper, maybe they consider any shot airborne that they can find and play a "good shot"? Isn't it quite annoying to be told "good shot" on one of your worst shots of the round that was no where close to the intended target?

But if you are playing with a scratch golfer... maybe a wedge on the green but not close to the hole is considered a bad shot even if 90% of all players would feel good about that result?
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #102055 - This was a reply to message #102050
chevelle

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Jurupa

Tuesday May 10, 2022 2:25 PM
Well put mpisarki01. I concur also and I am old
 Message #102056 - This was a reply to message #102054
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Tuesday May 10, 2022 3:32 PM
I have experienced the head snap and “DON’T TALK TO MY BALL!” more than once, bizarre, it’s just good wishes.

. . . and yes Nick I know what you mean. I play as a single 90% of the time. I have had rounds that started off horribly and have felt playing partners meaning well but praising shots I consider barely useable. That can be frustrating . . . but that’s just me channeling my anxiety inappropriately.
 Message #102057 - This was a reply to message #102055
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Tuesday May 10, 2022 4:16 PM
Wow, really, OK, I won't talk to your ball sir.

Not sure what's going on in his head for that to aggravate him and quite frankly I don't want to know during my round. I will cheer on the rest of the group's shots.

btw - I don't mind someone talking to my ball. It would nice if it listened for a change - LOL
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #102058 - This was a reply to message #102046

Listing 1 to 10 of 16 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]