mlslaw
Pawleys Island, SC

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday July 10, 2022 4:13 PM
First time in Pawleys next week. On my list of possibles are Caledonia, True Blue and Pawleys Plantation. What am I in for and what am I missing?
 Message #102470
dconnally
RE: Pawleys Island, SC

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated! GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Sunday July 10, 2022 4:50 PM
Those are 3 great choices.

You are in for a heat and humidity combo that is hard to prepare for if you haven't been in it before. On some days it may feel like you can't get your breath. Make sure you stay hydrated and be aware of your physical condition.

Everything is going to be green - lush green. Very different look from out here. With the green comes moisture and that heat/humid thing. And water is much more ubiquitous as a hazard and as decoration, even in places where it's hard to see or unexpected.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #102471 - This was a reply to message #102470
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Sunday July 10, 2022 10:05 PM
Thanks, much appreciated. Forecast is for lil precipitation (.01 per hr many days) but plenty of "scattered t-storm" days. Do you have a rough idea of about how often the Pawley's courses sound their sirens this time of year?? TIA
 Message #102472 - This was a reply to message #102471
parmegt

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Costa

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday July 11, 2022 1:52 PM
I've seen local old guys sipping a drink on the porch at Caledonia watching the tourist's hitting into 18 & betting which would clear the Lake (not many do!)
All 3 courses are first class. When I last played Pawleys, Jack Nic had a place on one of the fairways. Just remember to be careful in the swampie areas, snakes can be an issue. Copperheads & Water Moccasins... If it's not near the fairway in plain view, I don't go looking.

You will really enjoy it, great area & World Class Golf.
 Message #102474 - This was a reply to message #102470
stickboy

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday July 13, 2022 4:09 PM
QUOTED  Just remember to be careful in the swampie areas, snakes can be an issue. Copperheads & Water Moccasins... If it's not near the fairway in plain view, I don't go looking.

Don't forget the gators. I saw a couple of good-sized alligators, too.

I went to Pawley's Island in 2012. I definitely played Caledonia Golf and Fish Club and loved it. At that time, there was a little shack on the course where a guy would dish out seafood chowder. The place has a real southern feel, and it always seems to make the "Top 100 You Can Play" list.
 Message #102485 - This was a reply to message #102474
RDDenn

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Wednesday July 13, 2022 5:26 PM
On the Places to Play Facebook group, the reviews the last couple of months say that Caledonia is having problems with their greens.
 Message #102486 - This was a reply to message #102470
parmegt

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Costa

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday July 19, 2022 6:03 PM
Good Luck & let us know how your trip goes!

GT
 Message #102524 - This was a reply to message #102470
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Sunday July 24, 2022 2:57 PM
Now back from the Pawleys trip with a lil time to reflect. Quite a place. Very Hawaiiesque. Water temp mid 80s so ur swimming in a perfectly heated pool. Air temps pretty warm/hot---high 80s for sure. A very humid place, plenty of rain, thunder and lightning. Someone above mentioned it was sometimes tough to catch a breath there. I noticed that--it happens.
In terms of golf, I played Pawley's Plantation (spectacular layout--almost mind boggling when you are required to hit shots (back 9) over marshes and "quicksand." Also played River Club--more reasonably priced, not as spectacular but a very good course but who's greens had not yet recovered. Last round was the Willbrook Plantation, a very good course in all aspects. Only got rained on once for about 10 mins and then the storm passed. Good to have a rain coverup, just in case.
But golf's a challenge there this time of year. I've never hydrated as much anywhere and still couldn't get enough. Besides simply surviving the rounds, there was absolutely lil to no roll with all the damp turf. The ball didn't fly nearly as far in the moist air so had to adjust.
I recall playing locally here before I left and it seemed you needed a hammer to sink a tee in the very firm teeing ground. Pawleys, in comparison, was like butter. Saw no gators/snakes, but the local I was playing with at Willbrook said: "Try not to hit your tee ball to the right as a pretty healthy gator lives in that lake and likes to bask in that spot." (I stayed well left).
Interestingly (and unlike here), they double book the morning rounds starting groups on 1 and 10 (didn't impact pace at all). The other crazy thing is that most courses earliest starting time was maybe 730 but 8 was more common. So it seems that a lot of folks converge at the same time. Very strange as they could fit in many more rounds (maybe the double booking explains in). I walked on as a single all 3 rounds (seeing openings online the night before) and they got me on pronto (altho I doubt many folks ever play it that way).
First time in SC for me (and won't be the last). I liked the food and the people were very polite but not overly friendly. The southern way I suppose. Read two SC books by Pat Conroy for the trip. Very good reads, BTW (Beach Music and South of Broad). As for Myrtle Beach, it's the new Miami so pretty much packed. All in all, nice to be back.
 Message #102554 - This was a reply to message #102524
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Sunday July 24, 2022 2:58 PM
Did not play True Blue or Caledonia based on recent ?able reviews.
 Message #102555 - This was a reply to message #102554

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]