Blade or Mallet Putter?

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday September 26, 2016 2:38 PM
In light of all the attention given to Rory McIlroy's recent switch from a blade to mallet putter, I am curious as to what type prevails throughout the GK Community. Did you forge a bond with either style from Day One or been willing to implement a change at some point along the way to remedy some putting woes? If so, did you obtain the results you were hoping for?

As for me, I have used blade putters (PING Anser, Palmer 8802, TaylorMade TPA) since I took up the game some 45 years ago but decided to make the switch to a mallet-style in 2010. At that time, I had been having good success with a Tad Moore TM-2 blade but then went into a putting slump and began looking for answers. With some knowledge gained during a lesson...I had a tendency to misalign the putter at address...I went searching for a replacement and opted for the Rossa Ltd. Edition Japanese Spider (pictured below).

I found that the alignment lines were of immediate benefit and the ability to adjust the clubhead weights was another positive. Since I was now using a face-balanced putter, I started to work on developing a straight-back-and-through stroke and accelerated this transition by incorporating the Stan Utley Learning Curve training device into my practice sessions. As a result, I reestablished a strong putting game and haven't looked at another putter since.

Similar experiences?

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Monday September 26, 2016 2:54 PM]]

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Monday September 26, 2016 3:50 PM]]
 Message #80656
weber
RE: Blade or Mallet Putter?

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    tournament Club of Iowa

Monday September 26, 2016 2:51 PM
I am very "old school" as I am still using the same Arnold Palmer putter that I used in High school. and that was in the early 60's, so that should speak volumes. There is zero, none, nada, zilch technology in that putter, so it takes complete focus to insure a solid strike. I realize that modern putters would provide a great deal more forgiveness, but I just can not make myself switch. I have tried a few of the "high end" putters, but immediately return to my Palmer blade putter.

It took me a long time switch from forged blade irons and persimmon woods back in the day. Wish I still had the ability to still play them, because the "workability" of those woods and the feel of those old Wilson Staff irons is something I really miss.
 Message #80657 - This was a reply to message #80656
RDDenn

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Monday September 26, 2016 3:19 PM
I've been back and forth. I used a blade for most of my playing life with a mallet in there for a few years. Two years ago I went to a Ping mallet but I switched back to my TM bladeish putter several months ago. I was putting terribly and needed something lighter. My putting has been better with it. Still not where I want to be but I will be sticking with this putter for a while.
 Message #80658 - This was a reply to message #80656
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Monday September 26, 2016 4:23 PM
I had a Odyssey mallet for 5 ears until I won a Cleveland Blade at Los Serrano's in June. I love it other than not being able to scoop the ball up anymore but that is the lazy side of me.
 Message #80660 - This was a reply to message #80658
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Monday September 26, 2016 4:39 PM
Those who can do, those who can't mallet.
 Message #80662 - This was a reply to message #80660
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday September 26, 2016 5:36 PM
I've only started golf in '92. The putter choices from my dad's old bags were all blades and what looks like a bulls eye that could be used left or right handed. One day he came home with an older Ping Anser and he gave it to me. I loved it and played it till TaylorMade Rosa came out with an Isy-Bitsy Spider and loved that. Ping Redwood would come out with a nice Ping Zing and I putted well with that. Then a Yes mallet putter came across, and the most recent change was an SC X5r.

Yes, I agree about the lines, and yes, I agree that the mallet has done a better job (straight back and through) with me.

About the pros and their equipment, I think I had to try and be fitted for it. My own better results in an equipment (if any) are what sells me.

But your putter in the picture sure looks good and even great to me.
JVGA
 Message #80663 - This was a reply to message #80656
CancerFighter39

Favorite Golfer:
    YES
Favorite Golf Course:
    YES,it's a Secret!

Monday September 26, 2016 5:51 PM
$17 putter called "tour 506" in travel bag.
Main putter Face Balanced putter, paid $5.00 for the head attached to putter shaft.

I'm putting 1.97 after two recent rounds...
I am in the FIGHT of my life! At this time, I do not have the ability to Caddie for a Professional even though I made many contacts over the years...
 Message #80664 - This was a reply to message #80656
rudyclub
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil, Ricky, Kucher
Favorite Golf Course:
    Desert willow, Journey

Monday September 26, 2016 6:00 PM
I started with a blade. Went to a mallet for about 3 years and now back to a blade. I found I had too much rotation in my stroke for a mallet ?
 Message #80665 - This was a reply to message #80664
HmtGolfGuy
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Brendan Steele
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill, Oak Valley

Monday September 26, 2016 6:19 PM
For the first 40+ years of my golfing life I used a blade style putter (even had an old "Bullseye" which I used both right and left-handed). When I was young my putting was solid to very good but as the years progressed it slowly went downhill. About 5-6 years ago I picked up a Odyssey 2-ball mallet and went "Whoa, this feels good and fits my eye."

Bought one from the Callaway preowned site, cut it down to the right size and saw immediate improvement. Couple years ago I added the Super Stroke 5.0 grip and incorporated a "forward press" and I'm putting better better than I ever have.

Would I try a blade again? Sure, but it's gonna be a tough sell to beat my current setup.
 Message #80666 - This was a reply to message #80656
CancerFighter39

Favorite Golfer:
    YES
Favorite Golf Course:
    YES,it's a Secret!

Monday September 26, 2016 8:31 PM
QUOTED Would I try a blade again? Sure, but it's gonna be a tough sell to beat my current setup.

I use to club test for a golf manufacturer, they would get my opinion on putters (prototype).
They couldn't or wouldn't feel right for my set up either...

Look at my #'s from Score Tracker

Average Putts:
- per Hole: 1.97
- per GIR: 2.00
- per 18: 35.50

Er, why would I ever change? Just the putter grip.....HA!
I am in the FIGHT of my life! At this time, I do not have the ability to Caddie for a Professional even though I made many contacts over the years...
 Message #80667 - This was a reply to message #80666

Listing 1 to 10 of 28 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]