The Tee's to Play From Etiquette
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: The Tee's to Play From Etiquette

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 20 of 29 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
kurator62
RE: The Tee's to Play From Etiquette

GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday August 5, 2019 9:58 AM
It was just last Saturday at Eagle Glen.My partner and I played the whites,his wife played the the reds and the single that joined us played the blues. Its all about being aware and creating the flow.Its never a problem.
 Message #92111 - This was a reply to message #92080
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday August 5, 2019 10:00 AM
I'm with Peter and look for tees in the 6100-6300 yard range. Unless you're paying my fees, I'm going to play a set of tees that give me the right balance between challange and enjoyment. If it's on your dime, I'll play standing on my head from whichever tees you want. Like Nick stated, no one should be forced to play a set of tee's they are uncomfortable with. It generally ends up in more time spent looking for errant shots which can effect everyone's mood in the group. We've all been with that person playing waaaay too far back who struggles all day just to make a single bogey (vs the doubles, triples and more). Whereas sometimes this is entertaining to watch we usually are mumbling to ourselves (just move up dude). Yet if we are playing with someone who is playing the correct tees and just having a bad day, we are sympathetic.

A few months ago we were at Sandpiper and I was paired with the two Matts and Johnny. All of whom are long ball and very long ball hitters. I'm not. I had no problem playing the set of tees forward from them. It made for a much better day for all of us.

I get the social aspect of being on different tees but there are ways to incorporate it, especially on a course you know. If it's a driver hole, I'll stand on the back tee box with driver in hand chatting away ready to go. When it's my turn, I simply zip up to my tee box on foot and hit away while the others load there clubs into the carts and drive up. After I hit, the cart is now up to my location and away we go. No time delay, no loss of social time.

For those of us who play with our wives this is a common occurrance so you get into the "swing" of it pretty quickly. On par 3's they are usually close enough that when we get to the tee boxes, I can run up and shoot my shardage while the first player sets his ball and gets ready. I go back to the cart, and am ready to go with club in hand before the second guy even tees off.
 Message #92112 - This was a reply to message #92108
Lary1

Favorite Golfer:
    Me
Favorite Golf Course:
    Any in LaQuinta

Monday August 5, 2019 8:31 PM
I've read these responses and they are good reasons to play certain tees but they are all based on yardages. Does anyone ever take into consideration the slope of a course? Some courses that are 6600 could have a slope of 120 from the blues and another course could be 6200 from the whites but have a slope of 130.
 Message #92129 - This was a reply to message #92080
kurator62

GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday August 5, 2019 9:13 PM
For our playing group, total yardage and slope are always considered.
 Message #92130 - This was a reply to message #92129
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Tuesday August 6, 2019 5:42 PM
QUOTED  Does anyone ever take into consideration the slope of a course?

Absolutely, slope is the first thing I look at on a scorecard when selecting my preferred tee box. If it is high, there is a reason it is high. And it will probably kick my ass if it is too high has been my experience.

I like playing courses in the 6300-6700 yard range, but that is just a baseline to start with. Some courses I feel comfortable playing a little longer, while others even 6300 is pushing it.

If the slope is below 125, my initial reaction is that the trouble is likely moderate, and I can push the yardage and still be okay most days.

A 130ish slope gets my attention. Should be manageable for me but should also be a very good test. However, if the yardage is at all questionable, back off a bit. Playing to 6500 instead of 6700 would be more prudent.

A 135ish slope and I need to have a good ball striking day to be successful. Backing off the yardage down from 6500 to 6300 may/may not really assist me, because this is just plain a hard course. Depends on the course and where the trouble is that is jacking up the slope to that point.

140+ slope? The yardage needs to be manageable AND I better play better than average, or it could be ugly. Maybe even really ugly. I play Blues @ PGA West Stadium. Longer than 6700 and higher than 140. It is usually what I would call an enjoyable ass kicking!

I could play 4 different 6500 yard courses ten times each. From experience, I know that I could reasonably expect to add 1-2 strokes for every 5 points the slope increases above 125 for my average round score on that particular course.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Wednesday August 14, 2019 9:52 PM]]
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #92136 - This was a reply to message #92130
jerry64
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    paddy H
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry, Superstition

Wednesday August 14, 2019 6:00 PM
I play the tees where I’m most comfortable. I’m not competing with my friends just out to enjoy their company and a good round of golf
 Message #92218 - This was a reply to message #92080
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Thursday August 15, 2019 3:34 AM
After watching those two insist on playing the back tee box, even when the tee markers were placed further up, at Cross Creek the other day, and probably both shooting well into the 100's . . . it may have been a glimpse into some peoples psyche. I don't wanna be that guy or in this case, guys.
 Message #92219 - This was a reply to message #92218
chevelle

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Thursday August 15, 2019 5:28 AM
I guess the male ego is just so out of wack in some people it just doesn't make sense. For me, I enjoy a round of golf much more if I shoot under 90. I am 5'8" tall and going on 67 years old. That is my bench mark, I shot below 80 once (blew it on 18 two more times) so have a few 80's To shoot under 90 I need to play the proper tees for my skill level. I DO NOT enjoy the round if I have a bad day and shoot above 95. That being said, I have seen guys play the blues or tips on some courses and know when I see them hit they do not belong there. Why do guys insist on this macho bull sh-t and play those tees if they can't break 85 or 90 from there? You can't possibly tell me shooting 103 at los serranos south from the blues is any fun, but shooting 88 from the whites feels good. Why do guys think they have to hit driver on 13 or 14 holes? So what if you hit your driver 290 or more, if you are still scoring over 90 most of the time that means either you are not in the fairway or the rest of your game needs work. Look back at some of Tigers wins and comprehend how many 3 woods he hit off the tee. Even now look at all of them and there are a lot of 3 woods hit. So wouldn't it be a lot more fun to move to a tee box for your skill level about scoring instead of distance, hit 3 wood, find a fairway, iron to green and shoot BELOW 90? Unless you are a single digit handicap you are a hacker like all of us. PLAY BOGGIE GOLF For those who shoot over 90 the majority of the time, playing boogie golf gets you 90, look 7 boogies 2 pars a side gets you 43 43 86, what is wrong with that, for the better player, 4 boggie 5 pars a side gets you 80, nothing wrong with that. The point is it is more fun to shoot 80 or 86 fron a set of tees than shoot 93 to 105 from the back tees. For the guys that drive the ball 280, there are always par 5's and always par 4's 375 and above, hit driver on those and let in rip. A par 4 350 and below hit 3 wood (maybe 250) and still have a nice 100 yard shot in. Then you might say par 3's are too short, well if so, you better birdie 3 of the 4 from the from the front tees to prove your point, if not the those par 3's are not to short and easy for you. The pros have 6 pars and 3 birdies front and back and shoot 33 33 66, good score. Set your goals realistically for your skill level, not your distance, because I will bet your distances with diver are inconsistent and not straight. STOP watching the guys on tv and trying to compare your game to theirs.

[[Edited by chevelle on Thursday August 15, 2019 5:37 AM]]
 Message #92220 - This was a reply to message #92219
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Thursday August 15, 2019 12:12 PM
Good stuff chevelle!

I saw a spot on golf channel one time where they went out to the course and asked players how far they think they hit the ball then measured the shot with a rangefinder. Needless to say the guys were always waaaaay off, overestimating the length of their shots. I remember this guy says, "Yeah I really got into that one, I'd say about 290-300 yds." They measure it and tell him 230 yds. The women were much closer to their true distance and in fact sometimes underestimated their length. Hilarious!
 Message #92222 - This was a reply to message #92220
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Thursday August 15, 2019 8:40 PM
Interesting discussion.

I have met and played with Keith, so I totally get where he is coming from.

QUOTED  I guess the male ego is just so out of wack in some people it just doesn't make sense. For me, I enjoy a round of golf much more if I shoot under 90.

I think that applies to most. However, I'll provide an alternative view. I get MUCH more satisfaction from shooting 88 @ a PGA West course from the Blues that I do from shooting in the high 70's @ a course like Woodhaven that is 1,000 yards shorter with a MUCH lower rating/slope (Difficulity factor). However, I like to play both type courses from time to time for a change of pace.

QUOTED  Unless you are a single digit handicap you are a hacker like all of us.

I am currently a 9.0, and consider myself a hacker. Like Jim (Rat-Patrol) shared in another forum, my scoring range can be extreme. I can remember scores ranging from under par to not breaking 100 within the past few years.

My all-time best rounds score wise all came on Blue or better tees.

Have shot a 32 and numerous 33's on a par 35 nine over the past 5 decades.

65 on a par 67 Westlake Executive course is my only -2 round for 18 holes. Have a couple of 70's on shorter, POTENTIALLY easier par 70 or 71 courses. Have recorded numerous rounds of 75 or under over the years... 71 @ Lenoir GC, only time I shot even on my old home course. 72 @ Buenaventura, 74 @ Los Robles, 74 @ Indian Springs (Big Rock) are a few scores I remember w/o looking them up. However, you know the round that I really remember and am most proud of? A 76 @ Olivas Links from the Blacks back when the rough was deep, the lakes were full and they had not trimmed trees like right of #16. Why? Because I know that was a better played round because of the difficulity than most of the others, even though my score was higher.

I cannot speak for others, but it is the challenge, not my ego that makes me want to play tees farther back than most would prefer. If I wanted my ego stroked, I would move up about 2 sets of tees and be capable of setting up alot more birdie and eagle opportunities than I normally see these days. And breaking 80 alot more often. But to me, that would lessen the fun!

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Monday August 19, 2019 11:27 AM]]
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #92223 - This was a reply to message #92220

Listing 11 to 20 of 29 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]