Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Eagle! - JohnnyGK - Your best shot?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Eagle! - JohnnyGK - Your best shot?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 21 to 24 of 24 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
noeldaof
RE: Eagle! - JohnnyGK - Your best shot?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday December 17, 2019 1:23 PM
That is a great shot, Johnny! Congrats!!

Anyway your shot reminds me of a shot I had many moons ago at its twin course- Mountain View course. I don't remember the hole nor if I had a lost ball or out of bound, but my fourth shot from the left rough dunked into the cup for a 4, par. It was hilarious!!
JVGA
 Message #93007 - This was a reply to message #92960
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday December 17, 2019 4:44 PM
Best shot was at the now defunct Sun Valley golf course in La Mesa. Don't remember which hole, but it was a par 3 (they all were), I think the 6th(?), but I bounced one off the fence, it ran down the hill and into the hole for an ace! I was 4 or 5 years old . . . that was my golfing peak . . . it's been downhill ever since!
 Message #93008 - This was a reply to message #93007
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Wednesday December 18, 2019 12:35 PM
I play alot of golf and have done so for a long time now. I have had many months where I exceeded 250 holes of golf in that month. Thinking back over thousands and thousands of golf shots over the years, I have special memories of different kinds of shots that qualify in different categories in my mind.

Putts? Playing in a tournament with 3 friends, I remember a putt @ Green River from over 30 years ago. Well before the redesign where I hit an "Augusta like" putt where I had to putt 90 degrees away from the hole up a slope and let the slope take it back down to the hole. I was probably 60' from the hole but the ball had to travel at least twice that far by the time I played it up the hill and it rolled back down. Could not likely repeat the result if I was still there putting that putt, but it creeped back down the slope and died center cut in the hole. Still remember perfectly the look on my playing partners faces when it went in!

I remember at least 2 rounds where I holed two putts in the same round with break that were over 50' each. Putts where a 3 putt was infinitely more likely than a 1 putt, especially twice in the same round. None of these were eagle putts.

In my mind, EVERY eagle putt or chip that went in was special, no matter the distance or amount of break.

Hole outs? Agree that hole outs for eagles THAT YOU CAN SEE probably make a greater mental impression. Hole in one @ PGA West Norman with Keith, Allan and Matt is my favorite of my three holes in one because I saw the 7 iron the entire flight. Then saw it land and creep the last few feet and disappear into the cup. Hole in one 4 iron @ Rustic with Gary/Steve only saw it land right of the hole, could not see it take the slope and go in. Hole in one 7 iron with Mike @ GC of California saw it through the air going right at the stick but it was so hazy could not tell if it went in or went over the green. Must have went in on the first bounce, because the ball mark was about 6" in front of the hole.

Pitches from roughly 50 yards away on short par 4's or par 5's for eagle where the ball rolled the last 20-30' and went in I find very exciting. Combination of a shot or shots well executed to first get you in that position. Then add in a pitch that you judged well the length you needed to fly it in the air, how hard to hit it and the break once it started rolling. Have several memories of that type over the years. Have been fortunate enough to hole out a few eagles from over 95 yards over the years. Thinking back, a recent Sand Wedge with David may be the only one I saw the entire flight and then go into the hole.

So if the criteria is actually holing the shot, those are my best memories.

However, threading the needle on some recovery shots or going over some large obstacles to get a ball merely back in play or on the green I find very satisfying as well. The rare times that I actually accomplish curving the ball almost exactly what is required to go around something and end up at the desired location are also special shots in my mind.

Also just nailing a long iron or fairway wood from distance to get on a par 5 in two is always special. On in 2 is nice no matter what, but the ones where you had to fly it over a hazard/trap where you know it's well hit, but until it lands safely on the green you are still unsure are the best. Those create a better visual than ones that land well short and just run up there.

Perhaps my all-time best memory of well struck shots that did not go in involved a round with my dad and his buddies when I was a teenager more than 40 years ago. Still remember the visual of both shots. 7 iron into #9 @ Rock Barn C.C. in Conover N.C. that hit the stick and stopped about 5' away. Baby cut, started about 5' left of the hole and faded right at the stick. Then on #18, just nailed the stick with a 5 iron that was straight as a string, on line the entire flight. Loudest I have ever heard a flag stick hit, the ball caromed well away from the hole. Listened to my dad's retelling of those shots probably 1,000 times before he passed away. The shots got longer and longer over the years and in his version, I made both putts for birdie. In reality, I made 2 good pars, did not convert either birdie putt. But my dad was never one to let reality get in the way of a good story!
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #93012 - This was a reply to message #93008
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Thursday December 19, 2019 5:24 AM
I'll get back to Nicks post when I fly to Hawaii in a couple weeks . . . when I need a nice long read.

[[Edited by Rat-Patrol on Thursday December 19, 2019 5:24 AM]]
 Message #93015 - This was a reply to message #93012

Listing 21 to 24 of 24 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]