Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday March 16, 2020 8:46 PM
UPDATE: 4/20

! Click For Most Recent Post !

Keith and I reading all the posts, appreciate them and then POSTING if a PUBLIC golf course is closed due to COVID-19 precautions into the Maintenance Alerts sections of the website and Greenskeeper iPhone App. This in addition to posting Maintenance Alerts. The goal is to get COVID-19 alerts fully integrated into the golf course pages.

Your BEST resource already is to view the golf course pages directly like you normally do to view Maintenance Alerts.

This forum thread and others are best used for ALL of us to share information about golf course closures or ones that are open

This is a very unstable fluid situation with golf courses closing and reopening or even closing again. True to Greenskeeper.org's creed "Know Before You Go" we are doing our best and very much appreciate the assistance of the GK Community for information.

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Monday April 20, 2020 9:17 AM]]

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Monday April 20, 2020 10:24 AM]]
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #93969
golferic420
RE: COVID-19: Golf Course Closures

Favorite Golfer:
    Lefty
Favorite Golf Course:
    Las Vegas Paiute

Monday March 16, 2020 8:58 PM
Palos Verdes Golf Club closed at least thru the end of the month. Confirmed cases of a few members.
 Message #93970 - This was a reply to message #93969
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Monday March 16, 2020 9:09 PM
Yocha Dehe outside of Sacramento just sent out an email announcing a temporary course closure

San Juan Oaks in Hollister is closed as of tomorrow (3/17)

[[Edited by Alex326 on Monday March 16, 2020 9:13 PM]]
 Message #93971 - This was a reply to message #93970
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Monday March 16, 2020 9:36 PM
San Clemente Municipal closed today (along with lots of other city-related facilities) for at least 7 days. Everything will be reassessed to see if the closure should be extended at that time. (Posted on their insta.)
 Message #93972 - This was a reply to message #93971
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Maderas Olivas

Monday March 16, 2020 11:15 PM
Surprised that more city and county courses have not already been closed.

COVID-19 golf course closures are not just short-term. What about the long-term effect on the California golf industry?

Palm Springs is a perfect example. Close to 200 courses total counting all the privates.

I was unaware of the extent of the seasonal population change of the greater Palm Springs area before I moved out here. The seasonal population roughly doubles to triples during peak season with all the "snow birds". With the Canadian government ordering Canadians to return home or risk losing their government sponsored health insurance, the golf courses in the Palm Springs area are going to be losing a significant amount of their normal business customers at least a month earlier than normal.

During peak season, $70-$150+ green fees are the norm and the courses are packed with out of staters ready and willing to pay. This period gets the courses through the lean months when they are happy to get guys like me to come out and play 36 holes for $30 when it is 105+.

Without a significant portion of their normal expected prime season revenue, do not be surprised if some courses do not make it.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Friday March 20, 2020 5:28 AM]]
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #93975 - This was a reply to message #93972
Andrew1

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday March 17, 2020 8:45 AM
I think most of us saw this coming. What a shame. First the Rain has kept many players from playing and with more rain predicted in the coming days we now have this Virus starting to shut down Courses. I'm with you Nick, with L.A. spear heading the Closure of many recreation facilities I am surprise that the Mayor didn't mention Courses in L.A. Maybe the Desert Courses in the Palm Springs area and beyond are considering closing as well .
 Message #93976 - This was a reply to message #93975
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Tuesday March 17, 2020 10:22 AM
I'll be in charge of setting up 'sneak on' dates and locations then in the coming weeks. We'll enter and exit at strategic points of each course with our collective and advanced knowledge of course layouts and weak spots in their defenses. Flag hunting will be more of an adventure but it will be beneficial with all of us being smarter and going for the center of greens. I would also advise wearing all green outfits to blend into the scenery so as not to stand out - unless we're playing at Victoria Links where brown will of course be the superior option. And for goodness sake someone bring a pellet gun because I figure the animals will be getting a little unruly without all the Snickers available to steal out of golf bags. We ride at dawn!
 Message #93977 - This was a reply to message #93976
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    The Next One

Tuesday March 17, 2020 11:32 AM
Yeah the times are crazy and we’re in uncharted waters. I won’t be surprised if most California golf courses are closed by the end of the month. Some are being forced to close by government quarantine regulations (like what we’re seeing in the Bay Area), others are just losing too much business to stay open during this, and all “non-essential” businesses are under a lot of pressure to do their part to prevent the spread of coronavirus. Some may close voluntarily.

As many of you know, I help Johnny with the maintenance alert calls and the tone has changed dramatically in the past week. I had already posted a lot of aeration alerts in the Bay Area, so those are kind of irrelevant until courses are allowed to reopen.

In other regions (SoCal, CenCal, OR, WA, Vegas) where maintenance dates have been already posted, there is so much uncertainty. Most course operators are unsure if they are even going to be open in the next couple weeks, so aerating greens is the least concern. With closures and maintenance being pushed up, back or completely ignored, we’re doing our best to keep things updated.

We’ll update what we can and you know Johnny is always dialed into what's happening, but things are kind of day-by-day right now and any alerts we do post could be outdated as soon as they go up. It’s a fluid situation. The best recommendation is to contact any course directly and see what their current situation is before booking a tee time or heading out there. They may not be open at all or they may be rushing to do maintenance before they are forced to shut down. Some courses that are already down may end up doing maintenance during the closure.

Stay safe and smart everyone!
 Message #93978 - This was a reply to message #93977
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday March 17, 2020 1:38 PM
on the flip side, golf would qualify as outdoor activity/exercise/walk with social distancing, which is allowed under the shelter in place order.

I'm not in the Bay, and a lot of the courses under the order closed... but if I were in the Bay, and wanted to play golf, I might take a drive.
 Message #93981 - This was a reply to message #93978
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Tuesday March 17, 2020 1:51 PM
QUOTED  on the flip side, golf would qualify as outdoor activity/exercise/walk with social distancing, which is allowed under the shelter in place order.

That is the argument. Right now it appears golf courses are considered first and foremost a non essential business thereby requiring them to close.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #93982 - This was a reply to message #93981

Listing 1 to 10 of 171 Replies

PAGES: 18 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]