Courses Reopening...COVID-19 and Beyond

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday April 30, 2020 8:37 PM
I'm curious as to how many courses have increased their green fees as they're being given permission to reopen. In light of the fact that some governing bodies are mandating that carts will not be allowed at courses within their jurisdiction...even for single riders...will those facilities attempt to make up for the loss in revenue by hiking up their walking fees?

Given the restrictions that have been implemented...and the attached costs...along with the elimination of on-site dining and, in some cases, driving range access, the argument could be made that price hikes are necessary in order for stave off further financial erosion. But on the other hand, no cart usage means no daily maintenance expenses associated with what used to be the old 'norm'. We all know that golf carts have been the industry's 'cash cow' for many years now but this may be the best opportunity to push the 'walking encouraged' narrative.

It will be interesting to see how all this, as well as other topics, plays out over the summer months...and beyond. A lot may be determined by the path of COVID-19...which some people view as a temporary inconvenience...but I've got to think there will be long-term effects that are born as a result of this pandemic.

From a more streamlined approach to check-in to the permanent implementation of disinfecting/sanitation procedures to the realization that mandatory cart usage doesn't necessarily improve the pace of play, there could be some positive changes ahead, but only if the industry is willing to take an honest look at what's currently taking place and react in the best interests of all concerned.
 Message #94893
Nickesquire
RE: Courses Reopening...COVID-19 and Beyond
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Friday May 1, 2020 7:40 AM
Interesting perspective and analysis Jeff. And I suspect spot on and forward thinking in many regards.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #94897 - This was a reply to message #94893
mikeyg

Favorite Golfer:
    john daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    torrey pines north

Friday May 1, 2020 8:33 AM
Seems like most have drastically increased their rates. You can usually compare their rack rates to their current online rates since they haven't updated their rack rates on their website. Just received the "We're open" email from Enagic GC and their online rates are up nearly 50% ($125 vs $89). Interesting dilemma since many have either lost their job or taken a pay cut during the pandemic.
 Message #94898 - This was a reply to message #94893
zachary

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Friday May 1, 2020 9:04 AM
Maderas is charging $250 a round. I guess these guys think people are so desperate they will pay it. You could find tee times at Enagic 2 months ago for under $30 and now they want $100 on weekdays.

We will see but that course is fun for $50 bucks with a cart but not double that walking. I guess it is a free market and they are all able to set their price and see how it goes. Tougher to go up than down with prices.
 Message #94899 - This was a reply to message #94898
sammy3

Favorite Golfer:
    Tommy Bolt
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble

Friday May 1, 2020 3:37 PM
QUOTED  Plus with many golf courses the lost revenue of Weddings/Banquets plus Golf Tournaments is staggering.

So when restaurants open, no problem if they charge you $25 bucks for a burger or maybe $75 for a steak, or $25 for a side salad?
 Message #94904 - This was a reply to message #94900
atchan72
RE:

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday May 1, 2020 3:41 PM
As my previous response. When does "dynamic pricing" becomes price gauging? Oak Quarry is charging on weekday and 167. Rustic when it opened, I was able to get weekend tee time for $69 now its $86.
 Message #94907
Arpeggi
RE: RE:

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday May 1, 2020 4:11 PM
Oak Quarry at $86 is ridiculous. Drive about 1 hr more and play Indian Wells or PGA West.
 Message #94908 - This was a reply to message #94907
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Saturday May 2, 2020 9:11 AM
Looked over Golf Now "Hot Deals" within the greater Palm Springs area for Saturday, 5/2 and Sunday 5/3. Just curious to see what I would find.

Except for one notable exception, looks like these courses are all charging within what is in the "normal" range for rates for this time of year...

Woodhaven $35
Mission Hills Player $63
Date Palm CC $13
Cimarron Pebble $21
Indian Canyons North $46
Palm Royale $19
JW Marriott Valley $46
Desert Dunes $25
Shadow Mountain $30
Indian Canyons North $41
Terra Lago North $115
Rams Hill $110

For anyone so inclined to play in the desert within the next week: High's supposed to be 98 both Saturday and Sunday. The projected high's next Monday - Friday? Unseasonable scorching, between 102 and 109!!!

Therefore, I do not expect Terra Lago North's attempting to charge over $1 for every degree of temperature on a discounted "special" to have lines all the way back to the freeway off ramp.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #94920 - This was a reply to message #94908
rob1563

Southern Nevada Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Saturday May 2, 2020 7:39 PM
Some of the changes I like and hope they stick around after we figure out "normal':

1. Tee time spacing (my main course was spaced at 8 and 9 minutes, going to all 10 means the potential lost of 8 golfers per hour, so probably not going to happen but...)

2. Single carts (single carts zooming around SHOULD reduce pace of play, one course has changed it to 3.5 hours for a foursome, credit: KevBig), so does faster POP mean more rounds?

3. Walking. In Vegas, there's only 1 course (Las Vegas GC) which consistently allowed walking, but there's a good number that are easily to moderately walkable: Painted Desert, Desert Pines, LVGC, Aliante, Angel Park- Mountain, Palm Valley, Bali Hai, Paiute Sun and Snow, Wildhorse, LV National, Club at Sunrise, Stallion Mountain, Royal Links. I would absolutely buy a push cart to walk some of these courses, especially a twilight at reduced rates.

4. Alternative modes of transport. GolfBoard, this is your time to shine. If courses just charged $10 extra instead of $20, I'm on one every round.
 Message #94930 - This was a reply to message #94920
jamesg18015
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Saturday May 2, 2020 8:09 PM
I'd like to see the more generous tee time spacing continue. It has helped greatly with pace of play during peak times on some of the courses I frequent that used to use 8 minute times and went to 10 or 12. It has relieved crowding in general at check-in, on the ranges, practice greens, etc. I'd pay more per round for this. Beyond Jan-Feb-Mar, and other than for a small handful of courses (mostly muni courses), tee sheets in general aren't packed all day long here , so I wonder what the actual loss of revenue would be, not just the loss of potentially sellable tee times. This all being said, out of all the temporary changes for COVID-19, this is the one that probably won't stick.

There were several easily walkable courses here around Phoenix that used to discourage walking or assumed everyone wanted to ride even during the cooler months of the year. Several of them changed that attitude and promoted walking during March and April. No discount, but it was nice to have the shop attendant not look at you like you have two heads when you tell them you are walking, and to not have the cart guys automatically put your bag on a cart when you arrive. I'd like to see this better attitude towards walking continue.

If courses permanently went to the "upside down cup" method where the ball will sit down mostly below the rim of the cup but at a height where you can pull it out with two fingers, I could live with it. Cup raised above the rim of the hole so you bounce the ball off the side of it, or the recessed pool noodle where a putt can just roll over the noodle and back out of the hole, heck no.

If ball washers and rakes never came back, fine with me. Half the people never used the rakes anyway. I have no problem hitting out of a normal walking footprint unless the sand is super fluffy. If you make giant ruts when taking your stance in a bunker, smooth them out with your foot after.

It would be nice to be allowed to use a single-rider cart going forward if you are playing with randomly paired people you don't know. Right now, single rider carts seem to be helping with pace of play because most infrequent golfers have no idea how to efficiently use a cart with two riders.

Hopefully COVID-19 will get the last courses that still require you to hand your credit card to the attendant and then physically sign a paper receipt with a pen will finally ditch those old systems and get something touchless.
 Message #94933 - This was a reply to message #94930

Listing 1 to 10 of 22 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]