mlslaw
"Don't talk to my ball!"

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday September 2, 2020 5:14 PM
I walked on as a single a few years ago at Olivas and joined a 3 some. The guys seemed OK. A few holes in one of the guys was hitting and I was pretty close waiting to hit. As the guy's (let's call him Pete) ball was in flight, I urged "go, go" (cuz it looked to be short of the target). Pete turned to me, with dagger eyes and said rather loudly and rather menancingly "Don't you ever talk to my ball!" All I could do was say "sorry." I wasn't about to engage in a psych counseling. His buddies later said that the guy was kinda weird. The same thing happened later when I said something during his ball flight as that kind of comment is kind of a reflexive utterance. Pete seethed. Anyway, it became pretty uncomfortable.

Try topping that one for an uncomfortable golf story.
 Message #96119
t8fish
RE: "Don't talk to my ball!"
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Wednesday September 2, 2020 6:00 PM
I am probably much like you. I can't help but sometimes comment/root when watching a ball flight. It's almost an unconscious reaction. I don't offer advice and keep my mouth shut on bad shots with the occasional exception of something commiserating as in: "tough shot, we've all been there…". A big part of it is reading the temperament of whomever you are paired up with. I've never had anyone call me out about it or seem annoyed with me. It's never bothered me to have anyone comment about my ball in flight, although they might have to talk over me because I do sometimes talk to my ball.

I know for some people it's really a thing, but I don't get it unless the unsolicited comment serves some agenda.

I did have an ugly incident at Hansen Dam with a guy who had rabbit ears about any small motion or noise while teeing off. Not a guy I would make any comment about his ball flight anyway, but he kicked me out of the group on the second tee box because of the soft click of my water bottle ten yards away from him after I took a swig while he was setting up for — setting up, not taking — his swing. When players finish futzing around with their preliminaries and pause over the ball, I freeze whatever I'm doing and stop talking. I was a single added to their group of three but when he went off, neither I nor his playing partners knew what he was talking about at first or that he was serious. He'd made up his mind in the first tee box I was the reason he couldn't keep it in the fairway. He was a swarthy dude with a dark attitude, so I moved on.
 Message #96120 - This was a reply to message #96119
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Wednesday September 2, 2020 6:27 PM
Different situation, but reminded me of this story. Years ago my friend and I were playing San Luis Rey Downs in Bonsall and we got paired with an old guy single. My friend was a novice golfer who had a huge slice, but it was a delayed slice where it would start down the fairway and then cut hard right about halfway through the ball flight.

The single playing with us would watch the beginning of my friend's shots and kept exclaiming things like, "Oh great shot, that's gonna be perfect" prematurely, despite the ball ending up well into the right rough on nearly every hole. When it was clearly a pattern, my friend started getting a little annoyed by it, in a light-hearted way. As a result, we dubbed that single Pat Summerall (shows you how long ago this was) for his need to comment on every shot. We joked about it for many years after.
 Message #96122 - This was a reply to message #96120
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Wednesday September 2, 2020 9:03 PM
QUOTED  "Oh great shot, that's gonna be perfect" prematurely, despite the ball ending up well into the right rough on nearly every hole.

You just don't know if he's happy someone made a poor shot or it was a premature judgement.
QUOTED  He was a swarthy dude with a dark attitude, so I moved on.

Did they let you play ahead of them?
 Message #96124 - This was a reply to message #96122
t8fish
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Thursday September 3, 2020 1:02 AM
Yeah, they sent me ahead. The next group let me play through rather than adopt me, and I think I managed to be part of two more groups before the round was up. After all that I think I ended up with one other guy at the end or maybe even finishing alone. I forget the total, but I had played with or past through some ridiculous number of fellow players by the end of the round. Nothing like it before or since. You know me, Kevin, and I never have issues with people and my rounds are uneventful in that regard. It was kind of a weird day.
 Message #96125 - This was a reply to message #96124
sbarajasjr
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass & Pasatiempo

Thursday September 3, 2020 7:13 AM
Yikes! I have had a few similar instances of guys like that...

One guy I played with at Lomas Santa Fe CC didn't want anyone around him while putting, and no not the understable "in my sight line" request, everyone in the group had to lined up directly behind him, enough so that he couldn't see or feel your presence around him (probably about 10 feet away was his request). Older gentlemen whose playing partners all sort of excused his behavior.

Have definitely played with one guy who did not allow you to praise his shots, no matter how amazing you thought they were (my friends and I are pretty good judges of great shots, but alas). Buddy was yelled at for his genuine excitement. Probably will never forget that one and now, because of that, simply don't say anything until someone else does.
 Message #96127 - This was a reply to message #96119
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday September 3, 2020 12:13 PM
QUOTED  One guy I played with at Lomas Santa Fe CC didn't want anyone around him while putting, and no not the understable "in my sight line" request, everyone in the group had to lined up directly behind him, enough so that he couldn't see or feel your presence around him (probably about 10 feet away was his request). Older gentlemen whose playing partners all sort of excused his behavior.

this would've been an issue if i was there. i ain't moving more than a few steps for anyone. I know where to stand.
 Message #96132 - This was a reply to message #96127

Listing 1 to 7 of 7 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]