How hot is too Hot
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: How hot is too Hot

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 18 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
mpisarski01
How hot is too Hot
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday September 6, 2020 8:46 AM
Well I have been part of some blisteringly hot temperatures playing golf this summer to where I have had to leave the course due to heat twice. The first round was at Bali Hai 119° in Las Vegas back in July and the Second was yesterday at SilverRock 123°. Both of them had different circumstances with Bali Hai being the second round of the day and no Beverage Cart running +no on course water and yesterday we were a two some with nowhere to go stacked behind 4 somes. Had we have been moving and not waiting on every shot we would've stuck it out for 6 more holes but it was brutal.

This leads me to the question how hot is too hot for you to play golf.
 Message #96152
abbacat
RE: How hot is too Hot

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Sunday September 6, 2020 10:13 AM
A few years ago I could handle it up to 110 but lately 100 is a challenge.

[[Edited by abbacat on Sunday September 6, 2020 10:22 AM]]
 Message #96153 - This was a reply to message #96152
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Sunday September 6, 2020 10:22 AM
I can handle pretty much any heat as long as I drink a ton of water hours before leading up to the round and during the round. Plus I'm riding and can apply a cool wet towel on the neck in between shots. I always wear a hat while playing golf anyway but of course a hat is required.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #96154 - This was a reply to message #96152
sbarajasjr
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass & Pasatiempo

Sunday September 6, 2020 10:52 AM
Hottest I’ve done is 116 at PGA West Norman about 8 years ago and just like you, what made it unbearable was the waiting (the fact a tee sheet would be full at that temperature is mind-boggling). If you could just hit and go, like I know is your style Matt, I bet it wouldn’t be nearly as bad. On the other extreme of weather, I’ve played at 27 degrees at Coyote Creek as first group out and if wouldn’t have been able to play quicker than normal, it never would have happened.
 Message #96155 - This was a reply to message #96152
sparky14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Sunday September 6, 2020 11:05 AM
I remember playing at Desert Dunes, it was 122 and around a 20-30 mph wind. 6 holes and I quit. Laughed at myself for even trying.
 Message #96156 - This was a reply to message #96152
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Sunday September 6, 2020 12:21 PM
Played 36 holes in 123 degree temps about 6 weeks ago @ the Westin Mission Hills Dye. There were plenty of trees for shade. I was constantly moving with no one on the course. Actually not as bad as I would have thought filling up 2 large cups with ice water every trip by the ice/water station.

If I was waiting every shot, probably not just no but hell no on playing that much. But 36 that afternoon was attractive because I was playing well and it was quick, was not waiting on anyone, so could move at my own pace. Constantly moving in a cart makes a big difference, at least to me. Actually had to walk the last 3 holes because they closed the cart barn with 4 hours of daylight left and took the cart away from me after 33 holes.

With as much desert golf as I have played when it's over 110, hot is hot, even if when 115 or 120 it's a little hotter. Mentally, it assisted that I did not know it was 123 that day until AFTER the round. Had I known it was 123 and been obsessing about it while playing, it could have made a difference.

My main takeaways from that round?

1-I had to use my gloved hand to handle the shafts and heads of the clubs to get them in/out of my bag.
2-Even with the front wind shield down, the air/breeze was hot like you were standing close to a fire.

The 123 is just a number, one of numerous factors to consider. Humidity is probably equally, maybe more important than the temp for being both uncomfortable and unsafe. Having played in the south in 90+ degree heat on a day where the humidity was also very high... THOSE are worse, more uncomfortable and potentially more dangerous playing conditions that playing in 120 degree heat in Palm Springs with low humidity when you are drinking hundreds of ounces of water or Gatorade type liquids. And hundreds was not a misprint. I have drank a dozen+ 32 oz. containers of water or other friendly liquids while playing 36 holes more than once.

Cool/wet towel around the neck certainty assists as well. Pouring a half glass of water over your head and shirt every few hours can also assist when it is REALLY hot.

And when playing in extreme heat, know going in where the water stations are and if they will be available. A good rule of thumb is to take your own containers and liquids whenever possible. You can not count on every course, especially in the COVID era, to be supplying drink carts or sometimes even water fountains on the course.

UPDATE: 36 holes was not that bad when it was 123 with a breeze and low humidity. It was so hot that your shirt was barely wet from sweat after playing for 5+ hours.

Played a single round today in 109 degree heat @ Stadium and it was miserable with much higher humidity plus poor air quality. All clothing was drenched after hitting a few warm up balls on the range until I got home and changed.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Monday September 7, 2020 8:18 PM]]
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #96158 - This was a reply to message #96156
rob1563

Southern Nevada Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Sunday September 6, 2020 8:25 PM
That Wolf Creek/Bali Hai 36 was bad, but not as bad as the next day's 36 at Paiute where there's no shade. I played today and it topped around 118 and it was a bit hard. I go "no glove" so the clubs were a bit hot Nick, but not too bad.

After growing up in this desert oven, I'm surprised how I can not handle the heat. I remember summers running around all day but now, anything over 105 is hot. Also, anything over about 18 percent humidity is horrible too. LOL.
 Message #96159 - This was a reply to message #96158
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Tuesday September 8, 2020 7:56 AM
QUOTED  it was 122 and around a 20-30 mph wind.

Try cycling in those conditions!! One of the most miserable days ever on the bike. July 4th weekend 115 degrees with a 20 mph headwind the entire ride. I was like riding into a hot hairdryer the entire time. As soon as I got to "civilization" and the phone pinged with reception, I called the wife to bail me out. barely lasted 60 miles.

But being this is a golf thread... Like most, If I can zip through the course I can handle the triple digit + heat. If I have to wait. I'm bailing out.
 Message #96165 - This was a reply to message #96156
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Tuesday September 8, 2020 8:03 AM
QUOTED  barely lasted 60 miles.

Ha I am tired riding my beach cruiser to the beach 3 miles from my house.
 Message #96166 - This was a reply to message #96165
kevbig
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Palmer Course- Turtle Bay

Tuesday September 8, 2020 9:33 AM
On a similar but different note...how windy is too windy? Sitting here at Reflection Bay right now and it's sustained 35mph with gusts to 55mph. We've had a few brave souls out there this morning but when I rode around the course, you could barely keep your eyes open with all the dust and debris in the air, let alone trying to focus on your game! But hey it's only 79 degrees!

[[Edited by kevbig on Tuesday September 8, 2020 9:34 AM]]
 Message #96169 - This was a reply to message #96166

Listing 1 to 10 of 18 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]